DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is my battery Toast

goixiz

Reactions
My original battery i think its toast (when in doubt dont use ?)
I only have 2x Mavic Pro batteries and i think one of them is toast - was running warm last night on a flight with lotsa of hovering and short path (halo) and i set my alarm at 25% and RTH. Ambient temps was in the mid70s and humid.
When i removed it after it land it poped out easily and i let it cool - the underside (label side) was warm and soft and i did not try to compress it.
This morning i charged it and took about 90 minutes and was full charged
I plan to use it as a back up battery

How to prevent my second battery from repeating this occurance ? Set my RTH when at 30% ?

Thanks in advance

p.s. is it possible to still purchase new Mavic Pro 1 batteries ?

Be careful when charging and storing any LiPo battery or battery pack that is showing clear signs of failure. Both lithium and the electrolytes are quite combustible, and one possible failure mode involves crystals forming that can puncture cell membranes and cause an internal self-short. Not a reason not to use, just to exercise some caution...

Reactions: goixiz
Would be interested to know the manufacturing date and number of charge cycles for your batteries. More telling would be the performance after the full charge you mentioned.
If they had simply been sitting awhile before charge/use, it's possible they just needed a full charge cycle to "wake up" (not implying LiPo have memory effect).

You were well and truly in the normal operating temps for the M1P and battery.
I've felt my batteries warm after flight, never really made a point of feeling them like that, but might start doing so.
They SHOULD be warm though.

Hovering and sports mode would make the batteries perhaps slightly warmer, they are discharging more in those modes, particularly sports mode.
You hovering a lot might have made them feel warmer than normal to you.

Bringing the drone back early won't make it any different, so don't worry about that too much.
I have first warning at 25%, 2nd critical warning at 15% (I'm probably considering a landing spot by then under some circumstances), but usually manage landing at 20% or so.

My original flymore 3 are still fine after 4 + years, so too spare 3 bought some 2 years ago.
No swelling on the back, where the little recess in under the label.

I would fly with this again, carefully, like a test flight in a suitable flat open place.
Check battery specs for cell levels and temp in Go4 when flying, but you get a warning if the temps go above (or below) DJI recommendations.
Do this for all your batteries and compare, check for touch feel temperature on landing, or with a laser temp reader, check for swelling.

If all seems comparative / normal, I would definitely keep using it cautiously until the next couple of easy flights eases your mind.

Do watch (feel) temps when charging this for the next few times, to ensure it's not getting overly hot.
Charge another battery first so you know how warm you are feeling for.

Batteries.
Have a look through some of these search results for Mavic Pro M1P battery batteries . . .

Reactions: goixiz
Be careful when charging and storing any LiPo battery or battery pack that is showing clear signs of failure. Both lithium and the electrolytes are quite combustible, and one possible failure mode involves crystals forming that can puncture cell membranes and cause an internal self-short. Not a reason not to use, just to exercise some caution...
Yes thanks / i charge and keep all batteries in a ceramic bowl at home with a smoke detector near by

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser