DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is my Camera Screwed Up? (Purple Fringing/ Chromatic Aberration?)

dronerat

Reactions
So I dropped my Air 2S partly on the sand and partly on my beach towel during a botched hand launch on one if its maiden voyages. It fell upsidedown landing on its back because it flipped during launch.

Since then I’ve been a little worried about the integrity of the camera.

I noticed some purple fringing/chromatic aberration (not totally sure how to tell which) around the white lines in the parking lot in this photo, particularly towards the far left in the photo.

I’m not sure if it also might just not be focussing correctly?

Is this normal for Air 2S cameras, or is this indicative of a problem? Could the drop into the sand (from about arm height) have caused lens elements to go out of alignment, creating these issues? Not sure if I should send it in to have the camera/gimbal inspected?

AA064E0A-EDFA-44D7-8262-8987F8F2154E.jpeg

Chromatic aberration is an unwanted feature in all lenses. There are only so many wavelengths of light that a lens can bend and any lens design is a compromise. Fine high contrast detail shows chromatic aberration at its worse but it can be largely removed during processing with applications such as Adobe Lightroom.

Your image looks normal for a small plastic lens.

Quite normal. You will notice it more strongly in low-light and nighttime photographs (RAW). Lightroom is what I use to get rid of excess tints.

Since this was a maiden flight flip, you have confirmed the props are correctly placed and secure? Also if you power up and launch before the needed satellites are accessed or the compass needs calibration the bird may be quite unstable and wild gyrations result. Sometimes in some locations this means you will be holding a running quad copter for some time before launching.

Reactions: bcfd29

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+