DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is one Landing Pad better than the others?

Bugsbunnyheli

Reactions
I have been looking at Amazon for a landing pad and really cant decide which is better than the others.
Are they also about the same? Should I just shop price?
On my P@ and P3P I had landing gear extensions so with the Mavic I know I will need something to deal with the grass or sand.
Hand Catching is not something I can or want to do.

Reactions: MRomine
DJI_0292.JPG I just wanted something as portable as possible that wouldn't move in breezy conditions if not staked down. I have the 3' Hoodman and it's a bit small while the 5 footer is a little big IMO. I would have jumped on a 4 footer if they had one. Some may think they are too high priced but it's not that much compared to the rest of the equipment. Sometimes depending on what vehicle I'm driving, I just use one of the floor mats.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2wii
Last edited:
I use the 5 ft Hoodman if I'm working near my vehicle - apart from being a bit of a beast to fold up it is very stable and doesn't need staking out. DJI use those at their demo events, which is where I first saw them. Too heavy for hiking though - for that I use a 30" PGY which is not remotely in the same league and will blow around in the wind, but nice and light for carrying.

dfe3df79759eae22d3cb8b690fa26b70.jpg

I use orange side up. My RTH hits bullseye on the H every time. Times I haven’t used the pad it missed the mark. Not saying it’s entirely the pad, other variables probably played a factor. If I launch off my hard case then I prefer to hand catch. Just some thoughts.

Reactions: Silver Surfer
View attachment 26445 I just wanted something as portable as possible that wouldn't move in breezy conditions if not staked down. I have the 3' Hoodman and it's a bit small while the 5 footer is a little big IMO. I would have jumped on a 4 footer if they had one. Some may think they are too high priced but it's not that much compared to the rest of the equipment. Sometimes depending on what vehicle I'm driving, I just use one of the floor mats.
I love that 5 foot one Great pic to compare the sizes.

Reactions: Stunnajd112
Practice putting it away at home. Nothing looks worst than landing a state of the art, technologically advanced piece of machinery and spend a few minutes fumbling with twisting and bending the pad back to stowaway form.

I have a couple of the fold-up landing pads and have made a few DIY landing pads out of foam board or closed-cell foam camping pads. I like the cut-down closed cell foam best, I can roll it into a tight roll and bungie it to the bottom or side of my camera bag or case, and its heavy enough to not need any staking down in any conditions suitable for flying.

But most the time I do without and just find a flat spot (or, more often, hand launch/land, but you said that's not an option).

Reactions: lesterm4095
I have two PGY Tech blue/orange pads, one 75cm iirc the other 110cm. Smaller for hiking, bigger for the rest. I like blue/orange combination b/c depending on terrain/season, orange may be not optimal for locating it from Mavic, blue stands out more on foliage, while orange more on green grass.

A cardboard box works fine.
Shouldn't have to tell anyone, make it flat and sufficient size.
Price is right.

Last edited:
View attachment 26445 I just wanted something as portable as possible that wouldn't move in breezy conditions if not staked down. I have the 3' Hoodman and it's a bit small while the 5 footer is a little big IMO. I would have jumped on a 4 footer if they had one. Some may think they are too high priced but it's not that much compared to the rest of the equipment. Sometimes depending on what vehicle I'm driving, I just use one of the floor mats.

Dam, I have a couple of those aluminum tables also, never seen another one until now.

4e359580a9c9e3d94bc0cc13529cf678.jpg

I got this one as it folds/rolls up and sits in my boot.

I am sure having something with a pattern on it helps with precision landing.

Reactions: kschori
Mine's a green Ultimaxx only 20", but pretty heavy and stays put in normal flying wind. Folds up in a 10"x11" carry bag with stakes if needed.

I have been looking at Amazon for a landing pad and really cant decide which is better than the others.
Are they also about the same? Should I just shop price?
On my P@ and P3P I had landing gear extensions so with the Mavic I know I will need something to deal with the grass or sand.
Hand Catching is not something I can or want to do.
I have the extensions, and some one of those fold up ring things but I depending where I'm at I actually use a piece of plywood with a few pieces of blue tape on it. Leave it in the trunk. It's small and heavy enough that it doesn't blow away and it was free. Scap piece that was in my garage. Just throw it down and go.

dfe3df79759eae22d3cb8b690fa26b70.jpg

I use orange side up. My RTH hits bullseye on the H every time. Times I haven’t used the pad it missed the mark. Not saying it’s entirely the pad, other variables probably played a factor. If I launch off my hard case then I prefer to hand catch. Just some thoughts.
I use the very same one and I happy with it. I also use the orange side, and get great results.

Reactions: Ynksfan27

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123