DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is or will DJI be tracking our flights?

Andrew F

Reactions
The way things are going, especially considering the "new update procedures", I'm guessing DJI will be tracking our flights if/when we bump into or enter restricted zones and now they will have our registration location (part of new required log-in I'm thinking.) Big Brother is watching - and controlling. This is probably a good thing but feels invasive for those of us following good protocols and with no nefarious intentions.

Forced GO 4 update in a week?

DJI cannot track your flights unless you connect to their system by syncing your flight records in DJI GO. Outside of that function, everything is running locally offline.

Reactions: Bunny Too
DJI cannot track your flights unless you connect to their system by syncing your flight records in DJI GO. Outside of that function, everything is running locally offline.
But the new log in requirements must be for a reason. They must need new / additional data they didn't get when we initially logged in. I'm guessing they are creating a new linked-database. And while you are correct about the ability to fly off-line, they can obviously access the App and unit detail every time we connect for updates or even maps. So I think you are splitting hairs. Unless you have done a detailed filter of the packet traffic when updating? I didn't say "real time tracking."

The way things are going, especially considering the "new update procedures", I'm guessing DJI will be tracking our flights if/when we bump into or enter restricted zones and now they will have our registration location (part of new required log-in I'm thinking.) Big Brother is watching - and controlling. This is probably a good thing but feels invasive for those of us following good protocols and with no nefarious intentions.

Forced GO 4 update in a week?
Yeah this whitepaper, Dropbox - DJI Remote Identification Whitepaper 3-22-17.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v4lkyr2kdp8ukvx/DJI%20Remote%20Identification%20Whitepaper%203-22-17.pdf?dl=0
Just read it.
Seems clear what the new "updates" are all about
DJI is putting in place a system that will make it possible to track all drones in real time all the time
using the same radio that is already in the Mavic
No wonder it comes with the caveat that if you don't login, re-register, etc that you can only fly 98feet high, 150 feet away.... and no live feed.
It all coming together and making sense now...
In the same whitepaper, DJI said no new hardware would be needed, only firmware changes since its using the same radio link
and that it was anticipated readiness for this summer!

For the time being, I will be turning off the wifi on my iPad Mini 2 whenever I connect it to my Mavic. Ditto for my Galaxy S7.
I think this will make me totally incognito.

Unless you have done a detailed filter of the packet traffic when updating?
I have not. However, if you're that paranoid, you should certainly be able to figure out what needs to be done to prevent DJI from accessing the data you think they are going to be accessing.

Why dream up problems that don't exist though? Go fly. That's why you bought your Mavic :)

The link to the white paper didn't work for me. (Error 404)

Im more concerned about someone hacking the built-in cam in my laptop during "me time"

Reactions: Jaholibop
I have not. However, if you're that paranoid, you should certainly be able to figure out what needs to be done to prevent DJI from accessing the data you think they are going to be accessing.

Why dream up problems that don't exist though? Go fly. That's why you bought your Mavic :)
Read the other comments here. It's not paranoia when one points out the obvious. I know you have a vested interest in the Mavic, but reality is reality. I'm still pissed about the forced landings over water. I just don't want some company constantly messing with my drone. If they force me off of .04 firmware I will really be pissed.

Im more concerned about someone hacking the built-in cam in my laptop during "me time"
Haha haha. I don't care about them tracking my drone - but we are talking about a Chinese company here. They now have What, 100,000 set of eyes in the sky in the US right now?

And by the way, I'm not dreaming up problems that don't exist. I was sent that email. You on the other hand are ignoring reality. Or at least wishing no one would notice or care. You are clearly exhibiting your bias in defending this new tracking requirement. But OK. I get it. But I don't appreciate you calling me paranoid because I DARED to question DJI'S intent. They are not being transparent in what they are doing or why.

So how do you switch of syncing your log data with their servers? I thought they always logged your flights? You can however ask whether you want to sync on your device, "all", "last month", etc. I thought they were always uploaded to the servers but your controller/ipad only shows the ones you sync... Or am I being wrong here?

You are clearly exhibiting your bias in defending this new tracking requirement.
I was only commenting on your original post above. The whitepaper linked later in this thread is a totally different (unrelated) topic.

Here's an email I received that explains more about the upcoming activation requirement:

EmailFromDJI.jpg

So, unless you live in China and/or are going to be vacationing there soon, you can take off your tinfoil hat and take a breather ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: G284L
If this applies to China only, huzzah! Again, wait a few days and we will know a lot more...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada