DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is that normal? First Refreshed MAVIC flight

Alex S.

Reactions
Hi everyone.

I just received my MAVIC after a crash, using the DJI Care Refresh. The refreshed unit has a new S/N.
This evening I tried it taking off on the roof of my house. Ok, 12-13 satilltes, but I found it to be a bit unstable during hovering: most going a little bit up and down (less going ahead or backwards) and I had to often correct the position with remote control in order to avoid some poles and walls. It was almost completely dark outside, but I don't think it should be an issue for MAVIC to be stable during hovering...

Furthermore, I noticed that the flight distance was increasing even if I almost stayed hovering in place (just some feets up or down! o_O

Any idea?? Can you help me to understand if my Refreshed unit is defective or not??

Thanks a lot!!:(

I have heard of this issue with the new firmware I think, or I have seen this issue more frequently posted recently. It may have nothing to do with your new Mavic. I am going flying in a few minutes and will report back if I have similar issues.
Regards,
-d.

I have heard of this issue with the new firmware I think, or I have seen this issue more frequently posted recently. It may have nothing to do with your new Mavic. I am going flying in a few minutes and will report back if I have similar issues.
Regards,
-d.

Thanks

The visual sensors is what makes the mavic rock solid. In low light it will drift around a bit.

Ok, thanks. But, let's say that we are at 100ft altitude, even with enough light, the visual sensor should be useless due to the "empty" space around the mavic. Right? So, why should be more stable than in low light?

Thanks for explaination

Ok, thanks. But, let's say that we are at 100ft altitude, even with enough light, the visual sensor should be useless due to the "empty" space around the mavic. Right? So, why should be more stable than in low light?

Thanks for explaination
Up high the gimbal does the work of stabilizing the image and you can not visually see the Mavic moving as it hovers, however the two cameras on the bottom still keep track of the ground pattern and hold a tight hover, within inches. Being on a high rooftop in the dark disabled all your vision systems; with just GPS your drone can move as much as a meter or two in any direction (the ultrasonic should have kept it from going down or up much.)
Regards,
-d.

Update:

I took these videos indoor (with and without propeller guards), with enough light for VPS to work (OPTI mode).

(I must say that the rapid right roll and than back to the left, was my input, obviously - "no_guards" video -)

Do you think that the little oscillations (and the little loosing altitude) are still normal?

Thanks

Last edited:
The videos don't want to play for me. I get a note that, "This video is private." But based on your description of the flight, that sounds pretty similar to an issue I recently had on my Mavic. I could hear the motors fighting (or causing) the jitter, even at altitude, so I could still tell it was present at altitude. I searched the forum and found more than one member drawing a correlation between the jittery flight and updating the firmware via the PC and USB cable versus using a phone/tablet and the remote to perform the update. So then I updated the firmware via my remote and voila - rock solid flight again. I wouldn't be at all surprised is one of the last things the repair center does before returning a refreshed Mavic is check for the latest firmware via a PC.

-Rod

Update:

I took these videos indoor (with and without propeller guards), with enough light for VPS to work (OPTI mode).

(I must say that the rapid right roll and than back to the left, was my input, obviously - "no_guards" video -)

Do you think that the little oscillations (and the little loosing altitude) are still normal?

Thanks

No help?

I'm surprised you haven't been encouraged to do an imu calibration and compass as well. I would start there myself. But make sure they are done well. Makes a huge difference in stability.

I'm surprised you haven't been encouraged to do an imu calibration and compass as well. I would start there myself. But make sure they are done well. Makes a huge difference in stability.

Already done IMU calibration. No compass calibration, yet...

That looks pretty similar to what mine did after updating firmware from the PC. As mentioned in post #9 above, updating the FW via my Internet-connected phone fixed the instability with my Mavic. Prior to updating with the phone I had tried recalibrating the compass and the IMU to no avail. But after the FW update I calibrated both again just to be safe.

-Rod

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22