DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the 8 frame GOP compression "flickering" problem present in the Mavic Pro still present in the Mavic 2 pro?

Anterialis

Reactions
Hi!
I am not a very technical person so please forgive my possible erroneous terminology and please correct me when I'm wrong.

I have a Mavic Pro where I definitely see a flickering problem in certain scenes. I've read about this problem and someone posting (on this forum I believe) mentioned that this might be do to the GOP compression in the mavic. I think I read that there is 8 pictures (one i-frame and seven p-frames??), and the problem occurs when each predicted frames after the i-frame gets darker and darker, and when the next i-frame arrives, it brightens the picture to match "reality". This causes a flickering seen approx. 3 times pr. second. This is how I have understood it, please correct me if I am wrong.

No matter the exact mechanism behind it, there is definitely something that makes the video flicker in certain situations. Is this flickering problem still present in the new Mavic 2 Pro? Im thinking about upgrading...

Thank you for your replies!

Reactions: mereflyer
Hi!
I am not a very technical person so please forgive my possible erroneous terminology and please correct me when I'm wrong.

I have a Mavic Pro where I definitely see a flickering problem in certain scenes. I've read about this problem and someone posting (on this forum I believe) mentioned that this might be do to the GOP compression in the mavic. I think I read that there is 8 pictures (one i-frame and seven p-frames??), and the problem occurs when each predicted frames after the i-frame gets darker and darker, and when the next i-frame arrives, it brightens the picture to match "reality". This causes a flickering seen approx. 3 times pr. second. This is how I have understood it, please correct me if I am wrong.

No matter the exact mechanism behind it, there is definitely something that makes the video flicker in certain situations. Is this flickering problem still present in the new Mavic 2 Pro? Im thinking about upgrading...

Thank you for your replies!

The M2P uses a log-gop HEVC algorithm causing a slight pulsation in low light noisy portions at 30 frames - roughly once a second. Well exposed video does not show it and a little temporal NR will take care of whatever remains unless it is excessively noisy (mostly when using HLG mode - I stay away from that).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka