DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the Mavic Pro 1 Capable of Remote ID Compliance?

NJGlover

Reactions
Does anyone with above average technical knowledge of the innards of a Mavic Pro believe the drone is capable of remote ID compliance if DJI decides to do a firmware upgrade? I own 3 of them and 10 batteries and am wondering if I should move on sooner than later. Same question goes for the Mavic 2 Pro as that would be a possible upgrade path for me in the used market. Can the gear do it if DJI decides to support it? If it's a hopeless situation, I'd like to know so I can just bite the bullet and buy a Mavic 3 Classic.

It likely is capable, since it can be flown via WiFi with just a smartphone as the controller (horrible idea, by the way). That being said, I would say there is zero chance that DJI will ever release another firmware update for it. You can still preserve your investment by purchasing a remote ID broadcast module.

DJi is very tight lipped about what drone will be RID compliant in the future.

You can monitor the list here: UAS Declaration of Compliance

Whether or not the OG Mavic Pro has the internal technical ability to be able to update is yet to be seen.

The wifi module can be turned on while the rc mode is running. Maybe I can get a wifi range test doing that, but is probably no more than the 50 meters or feet whichever when flying wifi mode. The only problem is getting the GPS coordinates to spit them out over a broadcast. That's hidden somewhere in the dji modules. The remote ID broadcast program needs to be a statically linked android KitKat binary.

If remote ID capability is not made available to the Mavic 1 Pro and Mavic 2 Pro generations of DJI drones, eBay and Amazon will be flooded with bargain-basement priced Mavic 1 & 2 Pro/Zoom quadcopters at some point in the not-too-distant future. This development will be either welcomed or protested by drone owners, depending on the geographical location where they intend to fly drones.

Last edited:
It likely is capable, since it can be flown via WiFi with just a smartphone as the controller (horrible idea, by the way). That being said, I would say there is zero chance that DJI will ever release another firmware update for it. You can still preserve your investment by purchasing a remote ID broadcast module.
I went into the menu on my Mavic Pro and the first option is for Remote Identification. You can toggle the option on and off and enter your own Remote ID and flight info and apply it to the aircraft. I have no way of knowing if it works but it appears to me that the Mavic Pro is Remote ID capable, whether or not that will be compliant with the FAA’s requirements is unknown to me.

I went into the menu on my Mavic Pro and the first option is for Remote Identification. You can toggle the option on and off and enter your own Remote ID and flight info and apply it to the aircraft. I have no way of knowing if it works but it appears to me that the Mavic Pro is Remote ID capable, whether or not that will be compliant with the FAA’s requirements is unknown to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0309.png
    IMG_0309.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0311.png
    IMG_0311.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0308.png
    IMG_0308.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 70
Mavic Pro Platinum is no longer Remote ID Compliant. On July 12, 2023 the rescinded their Declaration of Compliance for Remote ID. Here is some information:

Lorin

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 11.05.26 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 11.05.26 AM.png
    152.2 KB · Views: 13
Now that this new law has gone into effect, does anyone know the status of the Mavic Pro 1? I see someone posted how to turn on remote ID in the menu.

Now that this new law has gone into effect, does anyone know the status of the Mavic Pro 1? I see someone posted how to turn on remote ID in the menu.
Discretionary enforcement is in effect until 3/16/24. If you can't find a module, don't worry about it. You can still legally fly. It's highly unlikely that Mavic Pro will ever become RID compliant.

DJi is very tight lipped about what drone will be RID compliant in the future.

You can monitor the list here: UAS Declaration of Compliance

Whether or not the OG Mavic Pro has the internal technical ability to be able to update is yet to be seen.
Here's a question for you Vic, the FAA flavour of RID.... is a third party module required in the States because of Federal paranoia about using the DJI (Chinese) RID that's been built into the firmware since the release of the mav. 2 series?

Here's a question for you Vic, the FAA flavour of RID.... is a third party module required in the States because of Federal paranoia about using the DJI (Chinese) RID that's been built into the firmware since the release of the mav. 2 series?
One has nothing to do with the other. RID Modules are for legacy drones that cannot be updated via firmware, regardless of country of origin. If the paranoia about Chinese drones were part of the equation, DJI and Autel wouldn't have been granted Standard RID DOCs.

Of the almost 200 RID DOCs listed on the FAA' RID DOC page (UAS Declaration of Compliance) 31 are made by DJI or Autel. And that doesn't include the other Chinese manufactured or part sourced drones.

So no, the module has nothing to do with the Chinese drone paranoia in DC, and now sadly being pushed into the state legislatures by such companies as Skydio and BRINC.

Those companies can't compete with DJI and Autel drone quality so the prey on the DC paranoia and attempt to convince convince state and federal legislators that those drones are a great theat.

They aren't.

I'm actually giving a keynote speech about this very subject at a drone conference here in Colorado tomorrow. I'm planning on turning that into an article next month.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143