DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the Mini 3’s photo quality as good as the Mavic 2?

Interested in the Mini 3 but just curious if I could get as good of photo quality with it as I can with my Mavic 2? Thanks!
The Mini 3 does take a good still image. Better than the Mavic 2 (Pro). In practical terms- no. In video terms, IMO the Mavic 2 has a bit more finesse than the Mini 3 but I haven't really delved into the sharpness/contrast settings of the Mini 3 yet. The M2P's settings are factory default. I'll address the photo issue first...

If you're putting your images on the internet it doesn't make a bit of difference. The files are overkill and it's really a matter of the settings in your drones' cameras and how you treat them once exported. In terms of prints, I have 30x40" prints from a 6 megapixel DLSR taken around 2004 that would blow you away with detail. Much depends on the lab that prints the photo. The pro labs have interpolation software that can create miracles with small files. Also, keep in mind that the Mavic 2 Pro has a variable aperture, which can help with sharpness. With a fixed F1.7 aperture, you get the sharpness you get and in daylight only have an option of shutter speed adjustments. The variable aperture of the Mavic 2 Pro is worth having on many levels.

Video? Two days ago I went to an early morning location and ran a Litchi Mission with my Mavic 2 Pro and then tried to copy it manually with my Mini 3. The Mini 3 did an outstanding job, but the Mavic 2 files just have a bit more finesse. Perhaps the Mini 3 has too much sharpening, but the Mavic 2 files are everything that keep me from "upgrading" to a Mavic 3. Again, that is a matter of the quality of the viewers' display situation and the use of the files.

If you have a Mavic 2 Pro and are thinking of selling it to buy a Mini 3, I wouldn't. For me the benefit of the Mini 3 is the DJI RC controller and that I can pack smaller if need be, though the Mavic 2 FMC bag works well if you don't need to stuff it with a charger and accessories. The real advantage to the Mavic 2 Pro and the Mavic 3 is the variable aperture.

I've never had an M2, but I've been testing the M3P 48mp image performance, mainly for use in panoramas and I'm very impressed with both the sharpness and dynamic range considering it is a small sensor.
I have uploaded a test image to my Google Drive if you're interested in viewing the quality.
The image has only had basic post processing applied.

Last edited:
Cool, thanks! What are the specs in terms of the photos? I see the mini 3 has a 48 megapixel option but what is the standard photo it takes? 20 mp or 12?
Those "specs" are largely irrelevant. Wanna guess how many megapixels it takes to make a 4"X6" print like we used to get from the one-hour photo places?

Less than one.

Interested in the Mini 3 but just curious if I could get as good of photo quality with it as I can with my Mavic 2? Thanks!
Mavic 2 Pro?

If so, nowhere near. Lower resolution, lower dynamic range, more noise, far more artefacts. Also 4:3 which normally means a crop is needed further lowering the effective resolution.

Video however IS better due to a higher bit rate. Less compression artefacts, smoother, less jerky frames as a result.

Second test image, the standard 12mp was used and minor post processing was applied to make this 9 panel pano from DNG. To be fair, these images do the MP3 no justice, as this is a forum freindly low quality version, but it gives the op an idea of the image quality.

e1akEN.jpg

Nine portrait images? Or three vertical panels of AEB triplets?

Whatever you did, the results are superb. I'm still having trouble believing we can do this.

Nine portrait images? Or three vertical panels of AEB triplets?

Whatever you did, the results are superb. I'm still having trouble believing we can do this.
9 images in portrait mode with a 30-40% overlap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lister
I think that the best way to make a high-res photo is to use a Mavic 2 Zoom! There is an option to make a photo with 2 x zoom and combining 9 overlapping images: the "super resolution mode", delivering a very detailed 48Mp photo. I did not make a comparison with a 48Mp photo from the Mini 3 Pro, though.
I had both the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom and after I bought the Mini 3 Pro, decided to sell the Mavic 2 Pro and keep the Zoom for the zoom option as well as its stability in high wind conditions.

Reactions: Felix le Chat
I like the quality of the Mini 3 Pro, especially I can make pictures now, where I couldn't do before legally.
That said, I really miss the 3:2 aspect ratio from the M2P I am used to for nearly 30 years to be honest with SLR photography.

Composing with it on the controller still feels more cumbersome especially as you cannot omit the GUI as with the former SC by now. Yeah, I know, I can crop it later or switch to 16:9 but I like composing and framing pictures before as good as possible and do the minor works later in post.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots