DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Is the noise in this image I shot normal?

julianqwerty

Reactions
If you zoom in on the brown river you see some noise, I just wondered if thats normal and the lighting just wasn't good enough.
Thanks in advance! :)

Edit: alright guys I have here 3 images these are al 100 ISO butt different shutter speed so you can see even when its overexposed it has some noise in the image, is this something with my camera or just normal? Oh they are on the 48MB mode, i dont know if that makes it worse maybe?

New links:
1: Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files
2: Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files
3: Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

Last edited:
Looks good to me.

But it vaguely sounds like my last rejection letter from Shutterstock?

If you zoom in on the brown river you see some noise, I just wondered if thats normal and the lighting just wasn't good enough.

Link: DJI 1.jpg

No ... that doesn't look normal to me at all, and it's not just the river. The river bank, the trees, and the bridge all have more noise than I would expect from my MA2. How did you shoot it?

WIth the tiny sensor, some degree of noise is going to be usual, particularly in shadow areas or at high ISO values.
Because everything in the image is so distant, it's hard to tell what's noise and what's jpg compression of fine detail.
The exposure isn't great - the image is slightly overexposed and washed out looking.
And you've removed the metadata so we can't see what the ISO setting was.

If you want to check your image quality, shoot a well-lit subject with hard detail, 10-20 metres away and see what that looks like rather than half a city from kilometres away.

No ... that doesn't look normal to me at all, and it's not just the river. The river bank, the trees, and the bridge all have more noise than I would expect from my MA2. How did you shoot it?
I dont remember exactly. could you check these new 3 images they are shot with 48MP mode with 100ISO 1 is over exposed and you still kinda see some noise, what do you think? Was it just bad lighting?

I dont remember exactly. could you check these new 3 images they are shot with 48MP mode with 100ISO 1 is over exposed and you still kinda see some noise, what do you think? Was it just bad lighting?
Please load the files(pics) on to the thread directly.., many, like me, don’t follow links in posts.

Edit: alright guys I have here 3 images these are al 100 ISO butt different shutter speed so you can see even when its overexposed it has some noise in the image, is this something with my camera or just normal? Oh they are on the 48MB mode, i dont know if that makes it worse maybe?

New links:
1: Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files
2: Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files
3: Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files
Unable to view images....need permission.

Reactions: tlswift58
i-B66KB3J-S.jpg

Can't see the pics (maybe try VIMEO - like the site suggests, then post the link so we can see them).

If it's an unusually BRIGHT SUNNY DAY - then overexposure can happen. ISO is just one thing you need to figure out. Bright days REQUIRE an ND filter. Also you can lower / raise the shutter speed when in manual before shooting the picture / video to "SEE" what you will get in the end. Adjust the shutter speed up or down depending on lighting conditions. For bright days, you'd RAISE the shutter speed up to about 1/500 or so - as you want a super fast speed to reduce the light capture. In dark conditions, you lower the shutter speed and possibly raise the ISO to capture ALL the light you can.

Many great books out there by awesome photographers to give you some things to try and work on (practice, practice, practice) when shooting. The books simply give you a starting point to work from - as most DSLR's have bigger sensors than an Air2, so you have to adjust to that environment.

Also - post what your FlyApp camera / video setting are. That can have some effect as well.

If it's an unusually BRIGHT SUNNY DAY - then overexposure can happen. ISO is just one thing you need to figure out. Bright days REQUIRE an ND filter.
This is incorrect for the OP as he's asking about shooting stills.
Unless you have a particular reason to force a slower shutter speed than otherwise possible, there is no reason to use ND filters when shooting stills from a drone.
ND filters are not used to manage exposure on sunny days.
The camera has a max shutter speed of 1/8000 th of a second which will cope with the brightest conditions you'll ever encounter.

This is incorrect for the OP as he's asking about shooting stills.
Unless you have a particular reason to force a slower shutter speed than otherwise possible, there is no reason to use ND filters when shooting stills from a drone.
ND filters are not used to manage exposure on sunny days.
The camera has a max shutter speed of 1/8000 th of a second which will cope with the brightest conditions you'll ever encounter.

Sorry sir, but YOU are incorrect. I fully understood him shooting stills and an ND filter is great for that purpose. Why do they make them for DSLR's if they don't help on bright days.

Yes, you can run the shutter speed way up too. I prefer to use ND filters to keep the shutter speed reasonable and still not get oversaturated with light.

I think if you talk to most any REAL PHOTOGRAPHER, an ND filter(s) are in every backpack and used extensively when shooting in bright environments versus running shutter speed way up.

You can do what you want when flying and shooting pics, but that way is not always the right or proper way - just your way. Been doing photography for 4 decades, so I do have some small experience.

Sorry sir, but YOU are incorrect. I fully understood him shooting stills and an ND filter is great for that purpose. Why do they make them for DSLR's if they don't help on bright days.
You have a lot to learn about photography basics.
On your SLR, you use the shutter speed and aperture to control exposure and can use an ND filter if you want to force a much slower shutter speed than otherwise possible.
They don't make ND filters to"help" on sunny days.
Yes, you can run the shutter speed way up too. I prefer to use ND filters to keep the shutter speed reasonable and still not get oversaturated with light.
Oversaturated with light?
Are you trying to say overexposed?
I think if you talk to most any REAL PHOTOGRAPHER, an ND filter(s) are in every backpack and used extensively when shooting in bright environments versus running shutter speed way up.
And I know that real photographers don't use ND filters to manage exposure in bright conditions.
You can do what you want when flying and shooting pics, but that way is not always the right or proper way - just your way. Been doing photography for 4 decades, so I do have some small experience.
Four decades !! .. you're not the only one.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61