DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the part 107 harder now than it was a few years back?

ihavequestions

Reactions
When I took it, it was kind of easy but I know people who have studied pretty hard and failed! It looks like they keep amending it and in April, they added a lot of new knowledge questions.

I just took it about 4 months ago and I didn't find it too hard but then again I'm an instrument rated private pilot. I hear that the hardest part is reading the charts but as you can imagine that was a piece of cake for me. I would imagine someone that doesn't have any previous flying experience then yes, it would be challenging.

Reactions: dawgpilot
The April additions were no harder - they just included additional questions in the pool, covering regulatory changes such as operations over people, over vehicles, and night operations.

I found several of the knowledge areas difficult, and worked extra hard on charts, airspace, and especially weather/hazards. With good prep, lots of study, and many practice tests I had no difficulties in the initial or recurrent exams.

Neither were easy for me. It *did* take some serious study. If you found it easy more power to you.

I've only taken it once, and I'm also an instrument rated private pilot. That said I think for a first time pilot, charting, and in particular airspace, would be the most challenging. Plus reading weather reports.

I took it this past August. I took a lot of practice tests after studying and prepping. While I scored a 95%, the questions weren't anything near like the practice questions. A real change up on wording the questions. Tricky. Several questions came down to eliminating the most incorrect answers. More questions focused on night flying operations; flying over people etc. Sectional charts, weather and PAVE and PIC responsibilities filled out the remainder.

Reactions: maggior
I thought the test was pretty easy. I made 94% and studied about 10 hours total for the test. Of course, I have passed the instrument written test, but quit flying when I had to wear glasses.

I took it this past July...and although it was not easy...it was not very difficult either..some of the questions are very obvious...some you do have to think and figure things out...I do not think you could just pass it without some preparation...I did take the course offered by @pilotinstitute ..had I not done that I do not think I could have passed...the section in that course on reading charts is very good, so although I have read a lot of reports that people had difficulty with that ..I found it to be self explanatory because of the course ...I "just did it" for something to do..I have no intention of using the 107 cert...but the test is $175 now....kind of a commitment...so I thought it worth while to go for the extra $$$ to take a course...which you get to keep...so there is a lot of good material to revisit when a question about regulations come up...there are some youtube videos that have some of the information you need to know...but they just present information...they don't explain it the way the course did for me...if you are thinking of taking the test...Good Luck and safe flying

Reactions: pilotinstitute
I think for me it would have been more difficult to take the test had someone not mentioned bringing a magnifying glass for the charts. I wear readers and they help but the magnifying glass was the biggest help. Past that, time prepping and learning the material for the test was not bad. I missed 3 questions and pretty sure one was about weather but overall worth the time spent going through the process. I didn't (don't) need the 107 but figured if I was going to learn the rules I might as well take the test and get the benefits that come with 107.

You can't take the test they offered a few years back, only the one they offer today. Live in the moment and be happy. ?

Maybe I shouldn’t say this but I lost my glasses on the way in to the test found them later on sidewalk. Poor lighting, computers locking up constantly,having to call Procter in to restart. Totally frustrated, do I leave and get another date or stay ? Could not read the graphs at all. Took the rest of the test anyway. I took many practice tests and was solid 95-100. So I stayed turned it in and passed.
But I think having the system they have now is much better. I took the Pilot Institute prep course prior to taking the test which totally prepared you with the information you need. ??To pilot Institute.

The test site here was excellent...the people were very nice and made sure everything was working correctly....provided magnifying glass, ruler, pencils, scrap paper, calculator...very well lit, comfortable air conditioning, clean facilities...it was a pleasant experience I am sorry to hear that your test site was a problem...and can only imagine how distracting that must have been...glad for you that you passed, despite the obstacles @Edh

Reactions: Cymruflyer
The test site here was excellent...the people were very nice and made sure everything was working correctly....provided magnifying glass, ruler, pencils, scrap paper, calculator...very well lit, comfortable air conditioning, clean facilities...it was a pleasant experience I am sorry to hear that your test site was a problem...and can only imagine how distracting that must have been...glad for you that you passed, despite the obstacles @Edh
Good for you.

Sorry I was not trying to be sarcastic, truthfully I only read the first part of your statement and reacted having been told similar situations that people have had. I have three points, I don't think the test is that hard (that's why I said maybe I shouldn't say this) and Pilot Institute does a great job of preparing you. The last being the new system is much more user friendly and tests the information you need to know. Good flying to you.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
I have bern a pilot since 1984. I have great respect for anyone taking the 107 without any manned pilot background! That is some serious effort but good job completing it! As a manned pilot it should be very, very easy. Regulations are the big item for study.

I've had a part 107 since 2017. Renewed it in 2020 (let it lapse for a few months), then did the online recurrent this spring. No issues but I seem to really enjoy looking at sectionals and decoding weather briefs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike