DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is the RC PRO reliable now for moderately long range flight?

f13dfx

Reactions
Hello all! Planning a trip to do some iceberg video & photography with my Mavic 3. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with up to 5km flights out in the open sea either launching from shore or on a boat. Have been using the standard controller with no problems at all BUT ideally want to be able to “get up & go” with minimal setup time. Is the RC PRO connection ROCK SOLID in this environment? Lastly, I have experience hand catching with my M2P & Mini2 but not with the M3; I’ve seen suggestions to set APAS to BRAKE & others suggesting turning SPORT MODE OFF. What is the best procedure on a boat?

Thanks in advance to those who reply!

RC-Pro should be fine. Just make sure to acquire a HP for the day, prior to your "get up and go" moment. Do it within 40 minutes of your intended first launch. Hand catching the M3 is easy. Turn off OA, and sneak up on it from the side and reach up from underneath. More difficult on a moving boat, but no more so than on the M2P. Helps if it is already in Autoland under 10% battery.

Reactions: f13dfx
I have done hand catching from a boat, but it wasn't pitching much, so the same procedure I use on land worked for me...

I don't turn obstacle sensing off -- just hold the catching hand still under the M3 for a few seconds and command a landing either using the stick or auto land. Much easier if the RC is on a lanyard.

If the catching hand is moving too much and the M3 senses it as an obstacle, then I would try turning obstacle avoidance off and see what happens.

RC-Pro should be fine. Just make sure to acquire a HP for the day, prior to your "get up and go" moment. Do it within 40 minutes of your intended first launch. Hand catching the M3 is easy. Turn off OA, and sneak up on it from the side and reach up from underneath. More difficult on a moving boat, but no more so than on the M2P. Helps if it is already in Autoland under 10% battery.

I've had no such issues, but I have had iPad crashes, as well, over the years. No biggie. As soon as it reboots, the RC-Pro will reconnect. In the mean time, it will be in Loss of Signal RTH. Just cancel RTH, regain control and move on. It works exactly as it is supposed to, and any Android device can potentially crash at any time. Just don't panic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica