DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this "Commercial" or "Hobby"?

Qoncussion

Reactions
I am currently (strictly) a hobby flyer, with many years of experience both at the sticks of a drone, and professionally behind the camera (on the ground). I've been asked to shoot an aerial scene for a short film. Neither myself nor the film's writer/director will be making any money from our efforts. $0.00

Here in lies the rub... The theaters and film festivals WILL be making money in the process of showing the film.

Is this flight Commercial, or Hobby? I fear that it is definitely commercial.

The final use of the film appears commercial to me, your just not getting anything out of it.

Reactions: Qoncussion
Is it not like the YouTube question? They monetize our videos and make money from them but we don't make anything. I did NOT stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night but I'd say if you're getting nothing, you're not exposed. But what do I know.

Whether or not you are making money is irrelevant.

It's definitely commercial.

Will the FAA be tracking you down? Mostly likely not.

What if you make a video for fun post it on YouTube.

3 months later someone wants to pay you to use it in a commercial or ad or something.

What's that?

I am currently (strictly) a hobby flyer, with many years of experience both at the sticks of a drone, and professionally behind the camera (on the ground). I've been asked to shoot an aerial scene for a short film. Neither myself nor the film's writer/director will be making any money from our efforts. $0.00

Here in lies the rub... The theaters and film festivals WILL be making money in the process of showing the film.

Is this flight Commercial, or Hobby? I fear that it is definitely commercial.
I belive the wording was something like if someone "benefits" from the video, it is commercial. Then I found this: Business Users | Know Before You Fly

"In Furtherance of a Business", is what the FAA uses to describe the "monetization" issue.
Sooo, if ANY PERSONBODY, or group, or organization makes one penny, it's deemed Commercial use. Note the use of the word "a", not your business, not their business, ANY business.

Technically, if you, "Joe Podunk", even post any flight footage on YouTube, you are in violation, using the "monitization" aspect, and the FAA can give you a call/letter......not likely, but if you get enough views.......

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest