DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this crash damage to be worried about?

809UmUm

Reactions
So I did something dumb & am feeling really stupid, but can you guys help a newbie out?

I'm still learning to fly drones and was practicing flying facing myself to get comfortable with the controls "reversed". It was getting dark, but I wanted just a few more minutes before the rainy weekend started. I was flying backwards away from me and after I let go of the stick it drifted for another second or so. Directly into a wooden privacy fence :(.

It hit the ground and I guess there was enough momentum to fold one of the front arms back and fold the props up like for storage. I really didn't think I was moving that fast at all! I folded the arm back out and it snapped in place like normal and did not feel loose.

2 of the props have what appears to be scuffing on them, this is the worst one. I couldn't see any nicks in any of the props, but I felt a very small one on 2 props running my finger along the edges.

20200821_204433.jpg

None of the arms felt loose and I powered the drone back up. The preflight check said to check the props to make sure they were installed correctly. I took all 4 props off, visually inspected everything and not seeing anything unusual reinstalled the props and powered it back up. This time the preflight check passed and it lifted off. I took it to about 6' and did slowly made several spins, side slips and flew forward and backward. Everything appeared normal and it appeared to fly normal.

Taking it back inside I did a closer inspection of the drone itself and noticed a small gap difference between the 2 rear legs (shown here).

Rear Legs.PNG

The gap on the right is even all the way around the joint and I honestly can't say if it was like this before the crash or not.

Now that you have the whole (probably overly drawn out) story, is the rear leg gap something to be concerned with and should I replace the props?
Yes I'm very OCD, please forgive me, but this is my first drone and I don't wan to lose it or crash it worse than I already have.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

Is there anything else I should check, look for or test?
Thanks again.

Too much OCD, it looks fine.
The legs probably came out from the factory like that

I'd only replace the props if the tips were fractured

You should probably be using propeller guards in small spaces, it will allow it to bounce off privacy fences

Last edited:
Too much OCD, it looks fine.
The legs probably came out from the factory like that

I'd only replace the props if the tips were fractured

You should probably be using propeller guards in small spaces, it will allow it to bounce off privacy fences

Thank you, thank you lol!

It's not so much that it's a small space, the fence runs along a 3 acre lot, it was more like I was flying later than I should have been trying to squeeze 1 last run in. I was lining up the longest straight run available and pushed out too far. But apparently I still need the guards ;)

Lesson learned for sure! And I'm thankful, it could've been much worse.

Thanks for the quick reply, you guys are great!

Reactions: hiflyer201
If you have concerns about prop damage, I think the piece of mind of replacing them for a few bucks, would definitely be a sound decision. You will hate yourself if you lose an 800.00 drone cus of 20 bucks

Just remember that you don't have to get that close to other objects. Stay away from trees and wires. Sounds like a good learning experience you just had.

Replace the props... even subtle nicks on the leading edges can compromise them. They spin at super high RPMs. Replace them after having ANY incident of making contact with something solid. Even if they don’t shatter, any disuniformity can cause excessive vibration and start rattling your boards. Any minor compromise could cause a shatter and a failure while at altitude can result in a total loss.

It’s why spares are provided even new. There is zero threshold for tolerance of damage on the props. People have lost drones because of the way they folded the props in and allowed the drone to rest on them, deforming them ever so slightly.

Replace the props and even buy more spares to have on hand.. consider them as consumables..

Reactions: xunhui and jlatas
Replace the props... even subtle nicks on the leading edges can compromise them. They spin at super high RPMs. Replace them after having ANY incident of making contact with something solid. Even if they don’t shatter, any disuniformity can cause excessive vibration and start rattling your boards. Any minor compromise could cause a shatter and a failure while at altitude can result in a total loss.

It’s why spares are provided even new. There is zero threshold for tolerance of damage on the props. People have lost drones because of the way they folded the props in and allowed the drone to rest on them, deforming them ever so slightly.

Replace the props and even buy more spares to have on hand.. consider them as consumables..

In my optinion you are too protective. I agree in replacing props when needed not with every slightest little something. 2 weeks ago I had a crash with some branches of a tree and after a quick check I flew the MA2 again with no problem. Also the next 3, 4 days I flew the MA2 with no problem. But then, arriving at home and cleaning my MA2 I noticed a crack in 2 props. Must be from the crash. But you know what: I didn't replace the props yet and keep flying the MA2. There is no problem with it. Also have a look at some YT video's where people are on purpose cutting peaces of the props of the drone and test it. for example:
or
or
These drone are not so delicate as some people think. They can handle a lot before real damage is done.

Thank you, thank you lol!

It's not so much that it's a small space, the fence runs along a 3 acre lot, it was more like I was flying later than I should have been trying to squeeze 1 last run in. I was lining up the longest straight run available and pushed out too far. But apparently I still need the guards ;)

Lesson learned for sure! And I'm thankful, it could've been much worse.

Thanks for the quick reply, you guys are great!

Tip: Stand near the fence.

In my optinion you are too protective. I agree in replacing props when needed not with every slightest little something. 2 weeks ago I had a crash with some branches of a tree and after a quick check I flew the MA2 again with no problem. Also the next 3, 4 days I flew the MA2 with no problem. But then, arriving at home and cleaning my MA2 I noticed a crack in 2 props. Must be from the crash. But you know what: I didn't replace the props yet and keep flying the MA2. There is no problem with it. Also have a look at some YT video's where people are on purpose cutting peaces of the props of the drone and test it. for example:
or
or
These drone are not so delicate as some people think. They can handle a lot before real damage is done.
Wow, those are some incredible videos :oops:!

I can't help but wonder what happened to the drone internally while all of this was going on, but they do make me feel better about my little incident though. I also didn't realize that they were this durable.

I bought the Fly More Combo, so I've got more props. I can always swap a pair out and keep this pair for spares, emergencies, etc.

invest in care refresh if you haven't..
That is all.. Carry on...

or
or

You got lucky and your luck will run out.
Fair enough, lesson learned :D

Replace your props, the drone looks fine. ?

when you fly your drone ,you as the PIC ,are responsible for making sure that the drone is airworthy
flying with any damaged props ,means that if it crashes its down to you ,its not worth the risk to fly with compromised props

Reactions: xunhui
As above. Make sure you bin the props as well, so you're not tempted to keep them, 'just in case'.

Agree... I cut mine in half just to make sure they were no longer usable. Props are relatively inexpensive when compared to the cost of the drone, just not worth the risk.

I bought 2 pairs of 3rd party props just for testing.
Installed them and hover it for few minutes. here what happened:
1) MA2 couldn't maintain the hovering attitude. (I scrolled the stick to about 5 ft altitude but the drone moved downward by itself to about 4 ft. and hover.
2) After more than 5 minutes hovering, it suddenly flew downward and side way & crashed.

not really sure if 3rd party props caused it... but one lesson I have learned , Prop is very critical part of drone . if got cut of scuff better replace it with new & original one.. just my 2 cent

Reactions: xunhui
I bought 2 pairs of 3rd party props just for testing.
Installed them and hover it for few minutes. here what happened:
1) MA2 couldn't maintain the hovering attitude. (I scrolled the stick to about 5 ft altitude but the drone moved downward by itself to about 4 ft. and hover.
2) After more than 5 minutes hovering, it suddenly flew downward and side way & crashed.

not really sure if 3rd party props caused it... but one lesson I have learned , Prop is very critical part of drone . if got cut of scuff better replace it with new & original one.. just my 2 cent
Okay so take this as your first lesson never by third party props seriously unless they're known by the community and you have done extensive research one third party is master air screw they have really nice props and they make a quality product but I don't think they have anything out for the mavic air 2 yet I'm not sure? Anyway what lots of people will do is just go on to Amazon and just pick a set of props that look like the stock props but they're from some "schmo mo" in a far far land.... You saved yourself eight bucks and you're feeling good about yourself but I just don't think the savings of $8 is really worth the risk of $800 drone.... Also when you get these props and really analyze them most of the time they are a totally different plastic..... They also most of the time we extremely different per prop....which isn't good you want all of your props to weigh about the same.... I remember the story on one of the sites where this guy had a phantom 4 pro and he kept using these aftermarket junk props.... Well, 2 phantom 4 pros within 2 weeks each time one of the blades broke in flight..... It's just not worth it brother get the stock props! Trust me it's peace of mind also DJI can tell if you are using third party props because stock props spin in a certain RPM let's say 950 at hover most of the time after market props are higher or lower (example: original mavic pro props spuns high want to say 980 and then mavic platinum came out with quiet props and you could use them on original Mavic pro well the difference was 100 RPM in hover).......my point is that they can see this in logs and you would be screwed for warranty if you ever crashed

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio