DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this normal flight time? (indoor hover test)

dronerat

Reactions
As part of some after-crash testing for my Air 2S I did an indoor hover test, flying it about 7 ft above ground in the middle of my living room. I started at 96% battery and ended at 13%--and only(?) got 24 minutes of flight time.

For maybe the first 10 minutes it kept beeping bc of the obstacle sensors so I finally switched it to sports mode after that.

During the test I did not fly anywhere, just hovered with minimal adjustments, and took one photo.

Is this flight time normal for an Air 2S given those battery percentages for an indoor hover test?

The reason I'm doing it is to assess if the motors, fans, etc are working OK after a crash into the sand at the beach.

Reactions: mobilehomer
Is this flight time normal for an Air 2S given those battery percentages for an indoor hover test?
It seems quite normal.
Compare to DJI's specs and note how they achieved their result.

Max Hovering Time (no wind)
30 minutes *

* The flight time was measured in a controlled test environment. Specific test conditions are as follows: No wind, at sea level, APAS off, AirSense off, camera parameters set to 1080p/24fps, video mode off, and flying from 100% battery to 0% battery. Results may vary depending on environment, usage scenario, and firmware version.

You need to learn how to take your drone to 5% to get the best times in the air. This will take some practice but will worth it as you become more Experienced pilot.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2S in the Rain. Land on water.

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
You need to learn how to take your drone to 5% to get the best times in the air. This will take some practice but will worth it as you become more Experienced pilot.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2S in the Rain. Land on water.

Haha well ive done that a few times by accident, and the drone keeps descending even tho it hasnt made it to the homepoint. I throttled up constantly to avoid a crash—very unnerving, or thrilling depending on how you look at it.

Is there a way to override that?

Reactions: offtheback
Most experienced pilots understand the importance of keeping a comfortable safety margin to allow for the unexpected.

Yeah I try to, what do you think is a good buffer? I shoot for 20% but theres usually a last minute shot that I discover that makes me go into the teens. Under 10 is unnerving for me tho

Yeah I try to, what do you think is a good buffer? I shoot for 20% but theres usually a last minute shot that I discover that makes me go into the teens. Under 10 is unnerving for me tho
When RTH kicks in, it's time to get home. If you want to run it a little longer, do it within walking distance.

Haha well ive done that a few times by accident, and the drone keeps descending even tho it hasnt made it to the homepoint. I throttled up constantly to avoid a crash—very unnerving, or thrilling depending on how you look at it.

When you get to critical low battery level, you are at the point where the drone will initiate autolanding to prevent your drone falling from the sky because because the battery is too low to keep the motors running.

Reactions: maggior

Honestly it takes Practice, so the key that is so critical is that you cannot stop a Forced Landing however you can Over ride it if your ready and prepared for it by keeping the Stick UP but you cannot let go !!

You have to continue to Hold the Stick up and also Direct your drone to the Direction you need but at some point near 0 its going to land . If you let go of the stick , it will start coming down so dont do it.

Most pilots panic pretty hard as you can might no, so practice will help with how to Negotiate the Drone under forced landing conditions.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Extreme Rain and Land on the Water.

• Haha
As part of some after-crash testing for my Air 2S I did an indoor hover test, flying it about 7 ft above ground in the middle of my living room. I started at 96% battery and ended at 13%--and only(?) got 24 minutes of flight time.

For maybe the first 10 minutes it kept beeping bc of the obstacle sensors so I finally switched it to sports mode after that.

During the test I did not fly anywhere, just hovered with minimal adjustments, and took one photo.

The reason I'm doing it is to assess if the motors, fans, etc are working OK after a crash into the sand at the beach.
Seems about right.

Perfectly normal time. Especially in an area where "accidents" can happen, use the Safety Tab to turn off OA. Using Sport Mode can result in major mishaps with just a small inadvertant stick movement.

Ah thanks this is reassuring. In actual flights when I move around and take more pics, I tend to only get 19-21 minutes. (Total flight time logged after returning to home immediately after I get the on-screen RTH warning, usually around 20% batt)

So considering all that I guess that is also expected?

Last edited:
Ah thanks this is reassuring. In actual flights when I move around and take more pics, I tend to only get 19-21 minutes. (Total flight time logged after returning to home immediately after I get the on-screen RTH warning, usually around 20% batt)

So considering all that I guess that is also expected?
Yes, that's normal. May I check your battery info? Together with your battery cell status and voltage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ