DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Is this possible?

Zeke

Reactions
We recently had a lady go missing on a hike outside of town. Sadly, she was found dead this morning off trail. I thought about taking time off work to put the drone in the air and help look for her, but I thought of a possible problem.

In this case, at least part of the flight would be BVLOS. Here's my concern - What if I'd have found her? We talk all the time about getting our drones back to us, but I never considered that I might need to know exactly where it is at a given time. Is there a way to identify the location of the drone via coordinates? I mean, if I'm hovering over some poor soul who needs medical attention is there a way to identify their location?

Just wondering.

Reactions: mavictk
I’m using an iPad for storing pictures from what I fly. When viewing those pictures, I can swipe up on each picture and see the location from a map view of where that picture was taken.
Not sure if that will help with what you describe.
Flying a drone in some search and rescue missions may not be advisable without permission from the search organization in control.
Best to contact them and ask if they need assistance.

Flying a Drone in ANY Search and Rescue operation is 100% not RECREATIONAL and absolutely requires you have your Part 107. Also, as noted above by Starz, if you aren't part of the actual Search Operation you could be hampering efforts rather than helping. Search & Rescue (SAR) can be a very complex environment and not being integrated into a SAR Team could cause SAR resources to be expended towards you that NEEDS to be used for the actual SAR Mission.

If you desire to fly for SAR do the time, contact the local agency who oversees SAR operations, do the required training, and become a PART of the Efforts.

Self Dispatch is a HORRIBLE idea regardless of how good your intentions are. This is true for Drone as well as boots on the ground. Horrible idea . . .

I’m a drone pilot attached to our local VFD, and the advice BigAl gave above is spot on. You will need your 107 as well as FEMA ICS-100, FEMA IS-700, and NFPA 2400. The FEMA courses are necessary so you know the command hierarchy and procedures, and are able to be helpful versus detrimental. Once deployed, however, I am fully covered by the VFD insurance. it’s not an impossible task to get these credentials but it does take some study time and, in the end you’re giving back to your community. DO NOT SELF DEPLOY.

Last edited:
Yes, every photo taken has geo coordinates attached in the Exif data. With the drone camera looking straight down while hovering over the target you will have what you want. Those coordinates can be entered into Google maps and that imagery can be passed off. I did exactly this for fire/police and property owners to identify illegal encampments with fires and fire rings in the hills surrounding Redding. A hidden 20 acre site was cleaned of camps and trash because of drone location. I have my 107 and put it to good use. I then continued sporadic surveys for three years. No one ever moved back.

Yes, every photo taken has geo coordinates attached in the Exif data. With the drone camera looking straight down while hovering over the target you will have what you want. Those coordinates can be entered into Google maps and that imagery can be passed off. I did exactly this for fire/police and property owners to identify illegal encampments with fires and fire rings in the hills surrounding Redding. A hidden 20 acre site was cleaned of camps and trash because of drone location. I have my 107 and put it to good use. I then continued sporadic surveys for three years. No one ever moved back.
Thank you for providing an answer to my original question, much appreciated.

Thanks for this thread! It reminded me that I've been wanting to do this for about 5 years. :) So I just contacted our local Sherrif's Dept and am starting the process of becoming a part of the SAR team. Woo Hoo!

Ok, you can have your thread back now. :D

And thank you for not even acknowledging the EXCELLENT and very accurate advice some other members gave you???

@Starz and @Dbez1 both gave detailed and very helpful information and, even though it may have not been exactly what you wanted to hear... it is what you needed to hear.

Thanks for this thread! It reminded me that I've been wanting to do this for about 5 years. :) So I just contacted our local Sherrif's Dept and am starting the process of becoming a part of the SAR team. Woo Hoo!

Ok, you can have your thread back now. :D

EXCELLENT work. It's a very rewarding but also taxing way to give back to your community. If you have any questions or anything don't hesitate to reach out.

I’m using an iPad for storing pictures from what I fly. When viewing those pictures, I can swipe up on each picture and see the location from a map view of where that picture was taken.
Not sure if that will help with what you describe.
Flying a drone in some search and rescue missions may not be advisable without permission from the search organization in control.
Best to contact them and ask if they need assistance.
That's probably going to work in less critical missions, but in SAR that might be impractical. Maybe dji has something better for SAR missions that what is offered on consumer quads.

I’ve spent some time thinking about my response (#4 above) to your inquiries and, while I feel my response is correct, I believe I didn’t give you credit for wanting to help. Your heart is in the right place and I commend you for that. There are some things you need to learn so you can help safely, but the time invested is well worth it. I encourage you to contact your local first responders and take the steps necessary to learn to be of assistance to them in an effective and safe manner. Best wishes and thanks for your desire to be helpful in your community.

Flying a Drone in ANY Search and Rescue operation is 100% not RECREATIONAL and absolutely requires you have your Part 107. Also, as noted above by Starz, if you aren't part of the actual Search Operation you could be hampering efforts rather than helping. Search & Rescue (SAR) can be a very complex environment and not being integrated into a SAR Team could cause SAR resources to be expended towards you that NEEDS to be used for the actual SAR Mission.

If you desire to fly for SAR do the time, contact the local agency who oversees SAR operations, do the required training, and become a PART of the Efforts.

Self Dispatch is a HORRIBLE idea regardless of how good your intentions are. This is true for Drone as well as boots on the ground. Horrible idea . . .
There is another possible use case, however.

I fly almost exclusively over open, remote terrain. Suppose while doing that (I have my 107 and assume I'm flying VLOS), I notice someone waving their arms for help, or worse, someone who looks seriously damaged.

Obviously the first thing I'd do is call 911, but what would be the best way for me to give the correct location, as far as I can determine with info from the flight?

Thx

I've thought about volunteering to help too, but wonder how productive that would be with an AIR2S, do they require or prefer pro drones with thermal mode?

Reactions: BigAl07
There is another possible use case, however.

I fly almost exclusively over open, remote terrain. Suppose while doing that (I have my 107 and assume I'm flying VLOS), I notice someone waving their arms for help, or worse, someone who looks seriously damaged.

Obviously the first thing I'd do is call 911, but what would be the best way for me to give the correct location, as far as I can determine with info from the flight?

Thx
It’s very easy. Put your gimbal camera at 90 degrees straight down and take several still photos to ID the person who will be looking at you. Each photo has the exact geo coordinate attached to the EXIF data file as part of the picture. I would then ascend to 400 ft AGL and using your map compass heading turn north and elevate the camera until you see a distinctive land mark (hill, river, road mountain peak etc) and take a picture. Then turn to east south and west and repeat. Any two (or better three) land marks will be helpful. Head for your home point. Contract appropriate EMS or agency and arrange to meet them at your home point with a portable computer. Transfer your pictures (you do have the adaptor with you right?) Your close up pictures will ID and locate the individual. The land mark headings will confirm the area.
Others may have a simpler solution but this should be pretty quick. If you have cell service the picture may be transferable from your phone or Smart Controller directly.

Reactions: mavictk and Zeke
i have gladius mini,underwater drone,whenever i take gladius to lakes or ponds i first pray to almighty not to see anything crazy that day,if its not my job,i dont do it…….that said,in case you fly and see something concerning ,in DJI Fly camera screen hit ”settings”(upper right corner),in Safety scroll down and hit Find My Drone,map will open ,you will be able to see drone location at that time and “coordinates”in left lower corner…….tested with my mini3pro 👍

Reactions: mavictk and DougMcC
I've thought about volunteering to help too, but wonder how productive that would be with an AIR2S, do they require or prefer pro drones with thermal mode?
In a perfect world I’m sure that’s correct, but not everyone can lay down the BIG BUCKS for thermal. My long range plan however, is to demonstrate the usefulness of my personal drone (an Air2S), and motivate my local emergency services to seek grant money to purchase the expensive equipment which will be more effective for SAR, etc. Incidentally, don’t underestimate the capability of your Air2S, and while it doesn’t compare with the ultra high end stuff, it can still be useful. The first step is (with 107 in hand) to set up a meeting with the chief of your targeted emergency response unit, and do a quick demonstration of how you can easily provide a view of the other side of a potentially burning building. See where it goes from there.

Last edited:
Just go to "Find My Drone". The coordinants for that time are there. Make a note and then return to flying.

It depends on the agency entirely. If the agency near you already has a UAS program they may already have "advanced" aircraft systems in their tool bag. If they don't have any UAS already they would probably benefit from any UAS a their disposal.

What I've done is exactly what @Dbez1 suggested. I assist the agency by training them UAS operations inside and out and demonstrate what benefits (and hurdles) UAS bring to the table. We usually deploy many many times before we can actually SEE any direct benefit of the UAS but once you do, it's a lot easier to "Find" the money. Both of my local agencies were set up in this fashion and both now have fully funded and built out UAS programs consisting of Enterprise UAS.

Reactions: Xitor and Dbez1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61