DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Italy and Greece drone regulation

Lam Nguyen

Reactions
Hello all, I am planning to travel to Venice, Italy and I want to take a few aerial footage. I know you are not suppose to fly IN venice, but what if I set my drone to fly along water outside of all the land areas, is that still legal?

Also planning to travel to

Rome, Italy
Pisa, Italy
Florence, Italy
Athens, Greece
Santorini, Greece

Any of those area are restricted as well? I know it's common sense not to fly over people, road, etc... but is it ok to fly in those city while remaining clearance of all those? I also have a Part 107 if that is any help? Thank you in advance!

I will be traveling to Greece in April (hopefully with a Mavic that I am still waiting on) quickly searching around it seems like the laws on drones in Greece are pretty loose; mainly stating to stay away from "populated areas" and airports/ helipads.

Would be interested to hear more

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Hello all, I am planning to travel to Venice, Italy and I want to take a few aerial footage. ....

Hi,
as regard Italy, very very generally speaking, you are not allowed to fly UAV near people, near sensitive areas (mills, church, police, military, jails, etc..) or near airport.
You must be in a "quite" area, at least 5 Km from any airport, and at least 15 Km away ( in axis) from landing & takeoff path of airports, in areas not populated, far enough away from buildings, infrastructure and installations (this is general statement by ENAC the Civil Aviation Agency for Italy).
Thus in any city I suggest to avoid to fly a copter: you do it at your own risk to receive a fine and most probably seizure of the drone if anyone is upset by the flight.

I'm also going to all those places this summer! I couldn't find any solid answers on drone laws in Italy.

Greece has just introduced new laws regarding drones. I have searched it a lot cause am flying one of those since June 2016. All drones must be registered to the civilian airspace agency, moreover
  1. Drones are categorized, mavics and phantoms like all other small drones are in category 1
  2. 120 m highest limit (400ft), same as other countries
  3. 50m is the minimum height limit above houses (to avoid spying scenarios)
  4. Should not fly beyond vlos
  5. You should not fly above crowd, i.e. concerts
  6. You should not fly at night, you are allowed to fly 30 min before the sun is up and until 30 min when sun is down
  7. 8km away from airports
  8. Be aware of no fly zones such as military camps
  9. Should not be used to film archaeological sights (!wth)
  10. as well as other restrictions, full article can be found here Drones: Τι θα ισχύει στην Ελλάδα από 1η Ιανουαρίου 2017 | Techblog.gr and you can use google translate to help you out....
of course all of these are on theory. If you keep away from houses and crowded people I think that you will be OK since you are visiting the country for vacations.

fly safe

Italian rules for recreational use of a drone, which are very strict, so strict that many peopl eignore them at their own risk, can be found on the ENAC (italian equivalent of FAA) website. Here is a FAQ just for recreational use:
Enac - FAQ
- Can I fly the drone on a beach? Only if there's no people around
- Can I fly it in my garden/terrace? Not if the house is in a urban area
- Where and how can I fly? Only if all of the following conditions apply: daylight, in VLOS, at less than 70 meters high (210ft) and less than 200 meters away (600ft). They also take care to specify: "thus, without using automatic flight systems out of the pilot's sight"
- Drones can be used in non popolated areas so urban areas and their parks are forbidden zones
- You must keep at 5 km or more from airports and stay out of ATZ and No Fly Zones

Here are the maps of the NFZ's and ATZ's in Italy, they are cut strangely if you ask me, but use the "quadro dunione" map and you'lle see where a place is: Per voi (e senza diventar matti a cercare) ecco le carte VFR Enav aggiornate - Dronitaly

Reactions: Topsky
Italian rules for recreational use of a drone, which are very strict, so strict that many peopl eignore them at their own risk, can be found on the ENAC (italian equivalent of FAA) website. Here is a FAQ just for recreational use:
Enac - FAQ
- Can I fly the drone on a beach? Only if there's no people around
- Can I fly it in my garden/terrace? Not if the house is in a urban area
- Where and how can I fly? Only if all of the following conditions apply: daylight, in VLOS, at less than 70 meters high (210ft) and less than 200 meters away (600ft). They also take care to specify: "thus, without using automatic flight systems out of the pilot's sight"
- Drones can be used in non popolated areas so urban areas and their parks are forbidden zones
- You must keep at 5 km or more from airports and stay out of ATZ and No Fly Zones

Here are the maps of the NFZ's and ATZ's in Italy, they are cut strangely if you ask me, but use the "quadro dunione" map and you'lle see where a place is: Per voi (e senza diventar matti a cercare) ecco le carte VFR Enav aggiornate - Dronitaly

wow thats strict! are there any cases on news, newspapers, internet etc where drone operators actually got arrested or fined?

wow thats strict! are there any cases on news, newspapers, internet etc where drone operators actually got arrested or fined?

Yes, the ones that I remember of were all tourists flying drones for recreational/private use in famous toruistic spots: it happened at least twice in Venice's Piazza San Marco:
- once it was an american flying a Phantom which crashed without injuring nor damaging anyone and anything, he got fined 50 euros:
https://www.dronezine.it/30431/drone-cade-piazza-san-marco-lo-straniero-la-cava-50-euro-multa/
- the american case made authorities raise an eyebrow and now they're striceter: the second one was a Bulgarian flying what looks like another Phantom (DJI Phantom 4 su P.zza San Marco: 2.064 euro di multa per il turista bulgaro - Droni Online): he got fined 2064 euros and his drone got seized.
The first tourist has been bery lucky because they didn't fine him for violating a military prohibited area, the second one simply got what the rules specify: a fine for violating a that area (a "P area" for EU flight regulation lingo).
No arrests until now that I have heard of, we'll see.
A group of Koreans hit Milano's Duomo in 2015 but they were sued only for having damaged partos of a lighting system, just that.
A crash who made people talk was during a race in the World Sky Cup in Madonna di Campiglio in Dec 2015:
Il video del drone che si schianta a terra durante la gara di sci - Il Post
The international sky federation has forbidden the use of drones OVER the tracks after this accident, I don't know if the rule remained unchanged till now. The pilot is from a company working for Infront, and ENAC suspended this company from aerial activities soon after the crash. I don't know if the pilot got fined

Reactions: Hexagon
So it does need to be registered before flying in Greece?

theoretically? yes...

Practically? there is no way as we speak since category A drones can be registered via a web form that should be located on the Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority's website. Guess what, no such form...

another thing that i found is that operators that use drones for personal entertainment (hobby), should send their flight plan to Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority via web or some sort of application if they intend to fly more than 50 meters of range... This should be done before flight and every single time.... Moreover, they will be able to fly only if their flight plan is approved...

My friend their is no such infrastructure whatsoever, so in theory all of us are flying illegally since 1/1/2017. IMHO, long story short, get your mavic with you and be a bit careful when flying, avoid crowded areas, crowded beaches, archaeological places etc. If someone asks for details be friendly with him, no arguments. If someone feels offended say sorry, land it and fly somewhere else. I never, ever had a problem cause I was following my personal rules....

I will keep you posted if any news arrive. I'll also give a call to Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority tomorrow morning and try to find out what is what... dont hesitate to visit beautiful Greece, and by no means, do not leave your mavic behind... you will love the footage

theoretically? yes...

Practically? there is no way as we speak since category A drones can be registered via a web form that should be located on the Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority's website. Guess what, no such form...

another thing that i found is that operators that use drones for personal entertainment (hobby), should send their flight plan to Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority via web or some sort of application if they intend to fly more than 50 meters of range... This should be done before flight and every single time.... Moreover, they will be able to fly only if their flight plan is approved...

My friend their is no such infrastructure whatsoever, so in theory all of us are flying illegally since 1/1/2017. IMHO, long story short, get your mavic with you and be a bit careful when flying, avoid crowded areas, crowded beaches, archaeological places etc. If someone asks for details be friendly with him, no arguments. If someone feels offended say sorry, land it and fly somewhere else. I never, ever had a problem cause I was following my personal rules....

I will keep you posted if any news arrive. I'll also give a call to Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority tomorrow morning and try to find out what is what... dont hesitate to visit beautiful Greece, and by no means, do not leave your mavic behind... you will love the footage

Thank you for the reply. I'll be on a cruise to Mykonos and Santorini in June. If you see another Mavic user, feel free to say Hi cause it could be me! Haha

Reactions: Nasko and Hexagon
Thank you for the reply. I'll be on a cruise to Mykonos and Santorini in June. If you see another Mavic user, feel free to say Hi cause it could be me! Haha

Aaaah santorini.... You can get amazing footage in the caldera... I ll be in naxos this summer along with my mavic, good friends and lots of booz... Have fun and i ll keep you posted regarding regulations

Aaaah santorini.... You can get amazing footage in the caldera... I ll be in naxos this summer along with my mavic, good friends and lots of booz... Have fun and i ll keep you posted regarding regulations

Will also be keeping an eye on this - am heading to Santorini in a few months. Thanks Hexagon!

Reactions: Nasko and Hexagon
Will also be keeping an eye on this - am heading to Santorini in a few months. Thanks Hexagon!

Nice iam going to Santorini as well in June so hopefully all we can take some great shots and have fun with our Mavics...i just ordered mine yesterday thru the DJI website

Reactions: Bungie
aloha. Just had a conversation with an employee of Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority. Within a few weeks there will be an web registration form in order to register your drone, both for hobbyists as well as professionals. As we speak all flights above 50m in height OR range are considered illegal. Once an operator is registered, he will receive an ID and a PASSWORD which he/she can use in order to send flights plans for approval every time he/she wants to fly the drone beyond 50m. Approval or Denial will be (in theory) given in a short time.

Regarding tourists: There will be leaflets in all airports (! so many of them, so many islands too) with information about drone legislation in Greece. Moreover, there will be a web link (or an app) where you can register your drone and send your flight plans.

The employee informed me that authorities (aka police) are aware of the new legislation and will not hesitate to fine illegal operators if needed.

I also asked him about range issues since small drones which are almost affordable, i.e., P3 Advanced, can fly for miles. He said that is out of the question! such flights should only be conducted by professionals and not hobbyists..

As soon as the registration form is online I will send you the link gentlemen. I am not very happy with all the above...

Greece has just introduced new laws regarding drones. I have searched it a lot cause am flying one of those since June 2016. All drones must be registered to the civilian airspace agency, moreover
  1. Drones are categorized, mavics and phantoms like all other small drones are in category 1
  2. 120 m highest limit (400ft), same as other countries
  3. 50m is the minimum height limit above houses (to avoid spying scenarios)
  4. Should not fly beyond vlos
  5. You should not fly above crowd, i.e. concerts
  6. You should not fly at night, you are allowed to fly 30 min before the sun is up and until 30 min when sun is down
  7. 8km away from airports
  8. Be aware of no fly zones such as military camps
  9. Should not be used to film archaeological sights (!wth)
  10. as well as other restrictions, full article can be found here Drones: Τι θα ισχύει στην Ελλάδα από 1η Ιανουαρίου 2017 | Techblog.gr and you can use google translate to help you out....
of course all of these are on theory. If you keep away from houses and crowded people I think that you will be OK since you are visiting the country for vacations.

fly safe

hello Hexagon,

thank's the rule's information! it is very important info for me. i will go to Kefalonia (or Cephalonia) to holiday in this summer. if you have any important info about "drone in greece" pls share it with me ;) thank you!

regards, mlacz

aloha. Just had a conversation with an employee of Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority. Within a few weeks there will be an web registration form in order to register your drone, both for hobbyists as well as professionals. As we speak all flights above 50m in height OR range are considered illegal. Once an operator is registered, he will receive an ID and a PASSWORD which he/she can use in order to send flights plans for approval every time he/she wants to fly the drone beyond 50m. Approval or Denial will be (in theory) given in a short time.

Regarding tourists: There will be leaflets in all airports (! so many of them, so many islands too) with information about drone legislation in Greece. Moreover, there will be a web link (or an app) where you can register your drone and send your flight plans.

The employee informed me that authorities (aka police) are aware of the new legislation and will not hesitate to fine illegal operators if needed.

I also asked him about range issues since small drones which are almost affordable, i.e., P3 Advanced, can fly for miles. He said that is out of the question! such flights should only be conducted by professionals and not hobbyists..

As soon as the registration form is online I will send you the link gentlemen. I am not very happy with all the above...

I'm sure I can speak on behalf of all of us tourist when I say I really appreciate the information you have given us as well as updating us, thank you! ****, looks like its going to just get harder and harder to fly a drone.

Reactions: Hexagon and mlaczek
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas