Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's OK to carry an electronic TRUST

Paint Rock Drones

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.mintz.net
I carry my part 107 certificate with me. But my 13 year old just completed his TRUST, and was worried about how to avoid losing it. It occurred to me that since it is just a printed copy of an electronic certificate anyway, perhaps he can just keep a copy on his phone? I didn't find anything on the topic here, so I emailed a question to our friends at the FAA and got this reply (within hours, on a Sunday!). Sometimes things are simple.

9-NATL-UAS-Help (FAA)​

8:42 AM (37 minutes ago)
to me

An electronic copy is okay provided you have your device with you when you fly.

Steve

I carry my part 107 certificate with me. But my 13 year old just completed his TRUST, and was worried about how to avoid losing it. It occurred to me that since it is just a printed copy of an electronic certificate anyway, perhaps he can just keep a copy on his phone? I didn't find anything on the topic here, so I emailed a question to our friends at the FAA and got this reply (within hours, on a Sunday!). Sometimes things are simple.

9-NATL-UAS-Help (FAA)​

to me

Steve
Yep, the gents at [email protected] are awesome. And they know their stuff.

Also, digital copy of the UAS Registration is fine. From https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/register_drone/: " "Once you register your drone, you will receive an FAA registration certificate. You must have your registration certificate (either a paper copy or digital copy) in your possession when you fly. If another individual operates your drone, they must have your drone registration certificate (either a paper or digital copy) in their possession."

Of course, since the original is electronic it would only be obvious that an electronic copy would be satisfactory.

I just have to wonder though, how many drone pilots (forum members excluded) even know of the TRUST test and certificate?

Reactions: twickers14

9-NATL-UAS-Help (FAA)​

to me

Steve
To All: EVERNOTE!!!

If you are looking for a place to carry everything electronically, you would be thrilled with the app EVERNOTE. If you can scan it, you can carry it electronically. I carry the following on my phone- Mastercards, vaccine cards, driver's license, insurance cards, Trust card, other credit cards, important and non important documents such as instructions for doing a drone maneuver, time intervals for timelapse, etc. The document is a photo of the actual document. All you need is a scanner to digitize your document. Evernote allows two licenses for free so I have one on my computer and one on my iPhone. If I change an item (like a new credit card) , both files will change through the cloud.
Dale
Miami
Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 2.19.22 PM.png

If you are looking for a place to carry everything electronically, you would be thrilled with the app EVERNOTE. If you can scan it, you can carry it electronically. I carry the following on my phone- Mastercards, vaccine cards, driver's license, insurance cards, Trust card, other credit cards, important and non important documents such as instructions for doing a drone maneuver, time intervals for timelapse, etc. The document is a photo of the actual document. All you need is a scanner to digitize your document. Evernote allows two licenses for free so I have one on my computer and one on my iPhone. If I change an item (like a new credit card) , both files will change through the cloud.
Dale
Miami
View attachment 142149
If you know how-you know how. I’ve used Evernote for years but hadn’t thought of storing my MA2 etc paperwork there. Will give it a go. Thank you.

If you know how-you know how. I’ve used Evernote for years but hadn’t thought of storing my MA2 etc paperwork there. Will give it a go. Thank you.
Anything that you can scan on your computer will show up exactly as it looks in Evernote. I forgot to mention, I also have my passport and my wife's passport in the Evernote.

Anything that you can scan on your computer will show up exactly as it looks in Evernote. I forgot to mention, I also have my passport and my wife's passport in the Evernote.
Other than your phone's password, what type of security is there for your sensitive information?

Well that beats my photocopied tatty pieces of paper that our Passports are on. Just about to get them out of the safe!! Great idea.

Not sure requiring another app is a good idea, so I just keep a PDF and JPG of my paperwork. Most Android/Apple tools can open them easily enough.

Well that beats my photocopied tatty pieces of paper that our Passports are on. Just about to get them out of the safe!! Great idea.

A copy of a passport is handy in case you lose the real one, but I'm pretty sure for travel you need the original document. That's certainly true for the newer ones that have RFID or something in them.

Reactions: twickers14
Other than your phone's password, what type of security is there for your sensitive information?
None. Evernote can see what you store there. I do not recommend putting sensitive things there.

Dale
Miami
View attachment 142149
Please don't put your credit cards and drivers license in evernote. It's not end-to-end encrypted and not meant to store sensitive items like that. If/when they get compromised, all the items needed to steal your identity will be easily available to those hackers.

If you want something purpose built for that, I'd highly recommend using 1Password. Those items get stored in the same encrypted vault as your passwords and security/privacy is their central focus. As a bonus, they have 1Password for Families, which allows you to set up shared vaults (my wife and I have a shared vault for all credentials, kids SSNs, passport photos, etc, that both of us need) that syncs between multiple people in addition to your personal vault.

You can read more about their security model here: About the 1Password security model

Last edited:
None. Evernote can see what you store there. I do not recommend putting sensitive things there.

Please don't put your credit cards and drivers license in evernote. It's not end-to-end encrypted and not meant to store sensitive items like that. If/when they get compromised, all the items needed to steal your identity will be easily available to those hackers.

If you want something purpose built for that, I'd highly recommend using 1Password. Those items get stored in the same encrypted vault as your passwords and security/privacy is their central focus. As a bonus, they have 1Password for Families, which allows you to set up shared vaults (my wife and I have a shared vault for all credentials, kids SSNs, passport photos, etc, that both of us need) that syncs between multiple people in addition to your personal vault.

You can read more about their security model here: About the 1Password security model
Thanks, that was my concern. I use LastPass and its encrypted vault for the same reason.

If you don't have a scanner, take a look at the free Genius Scan app (available for android and iOS). It creates PDF's using your phone or tablet camera as the scanner.

Been using it for a number of years. Ratings in the app stores are over 4.8 out of 5.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada