DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I've had the Ocusync Air Module for a couple of months...

jhroof

Reactions
...and I am happy with it, but there are a few problems.
1. The telemetry freezes when the flight control board is armed. I don't know if this a DJI problem or a Betaflight problem. I've seen several people post about it, but no fix yet.
2. When flying near other people on 2.4GHz (i.e. Specktrum), I have had several signal loses and crashes. I then manually set it to a clear channel on 5.8GHz, that helps but my range is limited. Does the Ocusync frequency hop, or does it initially find a clear channel and stay on the freq? I was flying with friend today. He passed near me with a Bebop Parrot and my quad lost signal. I think maybe his video transmission caused interference.

The HD image quality is great. But I still have a problem with it randomly falling out of the sky. I have been flying mostly on 5.8 to avoid RC transmitters on 2.4. I have the recommended setup: Omnibus F4, Tranis x9. It is just not reliable. Anyone else having similar problems?

Another problem:The image is crystal clear in the sun, but when I fly from sun to shade the image becomes so pixelated it is almost impossible to fly.

I have an over heating problem (I think).
Ive only had my ocusync air module and goggles for a week. But I have mounted the air module in a Horrizon hobbies/Eflite Timber (Fixed wing) with a HKPilot32 flight controller.
Its taken some config but I think I have everything ready now, except the air module just drops out (rc uplink first, followed by vtx down shortly after). When the wing is on it is fairly enclosed, but this drop happens even when the wing is off and theres plenty of open space on the bench.
Currently, I am not game enough to even try flying it. It doesn't stay on long enough for HKPilot32 to get a GPS lock.
I plan to get a genuine dji fan for it tommorrow, but there is no doco. Looks like it might plug into the ppm port on the side. But really, I have no idea what voltage it even takes.

Luckily, I have a Mavic Pro to keep me entertained in the meantime. It seems to be pretty rock solid.

Adrian

Oh, I forgot to mention. I am running a 3cell setup. I didn't seem to get the dropouts with a 4cell on the bench.

I use a separate battery for the Ocusync unit. If your battery voltage drops for some reason like doing a punchout, putting full throttle while battery's a bit low or so it will obviously lose power and reboot which takes many seconds, and you don't want that.

Only crash I've had with it was due to that on my first or second flight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
I use a fan on mine! It gets hot otherwise.Anyone using the cylindrical antennas? Are they better for range?

The DJI fan seems to have solved my heating problem. Yayy.
I have flown only once now, due to issues with trim.
I also found the video image dropped resolution at about 500m away. I've read about this issues from others when the link is set to auto.

The trim issue is not a DJI issue. Its related to me using a Spektrum ix12 to output the ppm signal to the DJI goggles. Once I get this sorted I'll go for another test flight (after updating alot of firmware, ix12, dji goggles, dji ocusync, and hkPilot32). Im beginning to miss the days of methanol, analogue and 36mhz).

Fyi, I don't plan to use a seperate battery for my ocusync unit.
There is little telemtry coming back as it is, and I dont see how it will monitor and report voltage for both batteries at this stage. Plus i'd be adding another point of failure and round of pre flight checks... Onerous already.
I'd rather just bench test and ensure I can't "punch it" and cause a reboot. There "should" be enough failsafe in it to prevent that (ie capacitance).

Adrian.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka