DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I've just discovered Litchi

Aaron24

Reactions
I'm a little late to the party, had heard of Litchi but never really bothered to look into it or buy it. But as I am on stand down at the moment with no work thanks to Coronavirus I have had some free time on my hands. I watched a couple of tutorial videos and liked what I saw could be done with Litchi, this morning I bought the app, created a mission........a simple one to fly out over a lake near my home and circle around some reed islands. I set 4 POI's in the middle of the island and had about 19 waypoints and alternated the POI's from one waypoint to the next. Speed was about 10km/h at 20m above the lake.

WOW, blown away by how refined the movements are, I could never fly manually and achieve a result this good. This has opened a pandora's box for me now and I am going to look into making some more missions where previously I had manually flown.

So yeah, just a post about my new Litchi discovery.

I'm a little late to the party, had heard of Litchi but never really bothered to look into it or buy it. But as I am on stand down at the moment with no work thanks to Coronavirus I have had some free time on my hands. I watched a couple of tutorial videos and liked what I saw could be done with Litchi, this morning I bought the app, created a mission........a simple one to fly out over a lake near my home and circle around some reed islands. I set 4 POI's in the middle of the island and had about 19 waypoints and alternated the POI's from one waypoint to the next. Speed was about 10km/h at 20m above the lake.

WOW, blown away by how refined the movements are, I could never fly manually and achieve a result this good. This has opened a pandora's box for me now and I am going to look into making some more missions where previously I had manually flown.

And additionally to Litchi you should try Virtual Litchi Mission if you are on a windows computer --> Virtual Litchi Mission ... it's linked to your Litchi Mission Hub & together with Google Earth makes it possible to dry run your missions at home, refining waypoint & POI positions, heights & gimbal angles so everything looks like you imagine before you fly for real. Of course this is most effective if the mission area is built up in 3D in GE.

Also checkout the spiral maker posted somewhere in this forum. It is the awesomest of all missions!

EDIT: Here is the link to that thread

And additionally to Litchi you should try Virtual Litchi Mission if you are on a windows computer --> Virtual Litchi Mission ... it's linked to your Litchi Mission Hub & together with Google Earth makes it possible to dry run your missions at home, refining waypoint & POI positions, heights & gimbal angles so everything looks like you imagine before you fly for real. Of course this is most effective if the mission area is built up in 3D in GE.
Cheers Slup, I forgot to mention that I had already downloaded and tried Virtual Litchi Mission also and dumped the KML 3D into Google Earth Pro. Awesome stuff. Great for simulating sunrise and sunset missions as GE Pro knows the sunrise and sunset times and orientations.

When you get Virtual Litchi Mission, go into settings and set the field of view to match your camera and that makes the mission pretty much spot on.

I forgot to mention that I had already downloaded and tried Virtual Litchi Mission also and dumped the KML 3D into Google Earth Pro
Rather than dowloading the KML-3D, just export csv and it will open in Google Earth automatically. Then just double click on the 'Virtual Mission' and it will run it.

Reactions: pelagic_one
When you get Virtual Litchi Mission, go into settings and set the field of view to match your camera and that makes the mission pretty much spot on.
Where do you set FOV in "Setup"?

Where do you set FOV in "Setup"?
When open, click on 'Setup' (top left) then 'Change Mission Settings'. In the window that opens, click on the 'Drone Type' tab. Select your drone from the drop-down list and then enter your FOV just below e.g. I have Mavic 2 Pro selected and 55 as the FOV.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
When open, click on 'Setup' (top left) then 'Change Mission Settings'. In the window that opens, click on the 'Drone Type' tab. Select your drone from the drop-down list and then enter your FOV just below e.g. I have Mavic 2 Pro selected and 55 as the FOV.

I hope this helps.
I see the problem. I have V1.0.5. My bad. Thanks!

I'm sorry about your work "Stand Down" but congratulations on your latest discovery. From my own experience I would say that you will have even more discoveries with Litchi. Enjoy your new capabilities.

Litchi is a game changer and has given me literall 100% more function of what I can do and capture with my drone. I almost prefer using litchi when capture views than trying to free fly the drone by hand because the flight paths, sweeps, and point of interests are perfectly controlled for me. Also, I'll use Litch for a specific flight path I've created and will run that flight path at different times of the day and seasons, and edit that path into a single video with transition from my different videos of the same flight path of morning, mid day, evening, summer, fall, winter and adds great visuals to my videos. I could never reproduce those paths by hand thos kinds of affect of different times of days and seasons. I'm suprised DJI hasn't bought the litchi company and made that part of their software as it is way better than their way point software which doesn't allow you to make such flight paths on a computer like Litchi can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greekislandlover
I’d say dji are probably embarrassed actually as a third party have come out with such a great app that is so much better than theirs for their own drones. They have every right to be thoroughly embarrassed.

The only negative I have to say is that if you crash your drone using Litch, DJI Care wouldn't cover that. They examine the flight logs on the drone (or what's left of it!) and refuse to do it under the policy if you weren't using their app. Having said that, DJI waypoints is not in the same league as Litchi. I'm playing around with Litch Spiral at the moment and boy - what a tool that is!

I did a test between Litchi and waypoints 2.0 on my Mavic 2 zoom. I was flying backwards in a straight line from a set of steps, over a tall shrub, over a pavilion and ultimately over the beach behind with the steps remaining the focus point. Simple run. Start point, end point and 2 waypoints.

With waypoints 2 I programmed it on my iPad I use for flying, adjusted the speeds, heights and so on. Frankly it was quite labour intensive. I got to the site and flew the mission. Firstly, the drone decided to halt at each waypoint for a second (never found out why), and the waypoints needed jigging. That was a pain, and in the end I decided to abandon that approach and start a new run where I recorded the waypoints by positioning the drone and pressing the buttons on the controller. Again, that was far from simple and the result was better. However, it still stopped at each waypoint.

Gave up and came home.

I decided to have a go with Litchi instead. I set up the waypoints on my PC and used Virtual Litchi Mission to test it. On site I had to slightly adjust the first 2 waypoints in order to line up accurately, but it was a LOT easier to do on site and save it. I then managed to fly the mission a couple of times, and used the controller to ramp up the speed as the drone flew backwards. That gave me a choice of shots to use in post.

Tell a lie - just looking back to find the shot I'm talking about, and I ran the mission 5 times with varying degrees of manual speed control. The version below is the shot I used in my video. I have included everything from the take off to the RTH initialisation. Obviously the final cut starts from the point it starts moving backwards.

It was for a video celebrating us being married for 25 years, as this was the spot we had our pictures taken. The video starts with a still of the wedding photos that I had a zoom running on that faded out and merged it with the start of this to give the effect the past merging into the present. This is why the waypoints had to be dead accurate to enable the fade between the two. Litchi could do it, Waypoints 2 just couldn't.

The shot was taken in D-Cinelike hence it's flat appearance, and I time ramped the speed up for the last part. But this is the shot direct from the drone.

Last edited:
I’d say dji are probably embarrassed actually as a third party have come out with such a great app that is so much better than theirs for their own drones. They have every right to be thoroughly embarrassed.
DJI sell drones; that is their money maker. They don't sell flight control apps; but Litchi do and that is their money maker. Litchi are adding value to the drones DJI are selling by improving their functionality and vastly improving their use-case scenarios. By doing so, Litchi are making DJI drones more appealing to a more diverse set of customers. DJI gets to sell more drones, Litchi get to sell their flight control app - both make money and one is not stepping on the other's toes to do so. I don't think there is any animosity between the two - and if there is, I don't see a reason for it. They have a win-win partnership. So instead of feeling embarrassed by Litchi, DJI should embrace Litchi and thank them for what they do.

Last edited by a moderator:

If you are considering other apps then you should definitely try FlytNow Pro. It is similar to Litchi but has an excellent web based dashboard to control your drones.

There is also a Chrome add-on extension - Litchi Virtual Mission - that is quick and easy.
It's what I use....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242