Japan's Drone Restrictions

Discussion in 'sUAV Rules & Regulations' started by halley, Jan 11, 2017.

1. halley

halley Well-Known Member

If you thought that trying to make out the FAA's drone rules was complex, check out Japan's. Actually, it's quite straightforward and they have good data available, but most of it is NOT integrated into the DJI's internal geo-fencing memory.

First, the conceptual airspace diagram.

[​IMG]
    Area (A) is over 150m AGL. Written permission required; written application must be made in Japanese.
    Area (B) is over airports. Written permission required.
    Area (C) is over densely populated areas. Defined by specific government maps, examples below.
    Anywhere else (blue text), no permission required. Exceptions apply. Not over people, not over vehicles, not within 30 meters of a building, person or vehicle, not over "events" and not where cops tell you not to fly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just thought I would share a little bit of how rules differ in other parts of the world.

Sean likes this.
  2. Yragorn

Yragorn Member

Where can I have a look at the map restrictions? Is it the same as the DJI No Fly Zone? I'm traveling to Japan in 1.5 month for Cherry Blossoms, starting from the south and finishing in Tokyo. From what I see on the DJI coverage map, I could fly over Lake Biwa and somewhere close to Mt Fuji (just having the mountain in my view, not fly to the mountain). Now looking for a spot to film cherry blossoms legally from the air.

3. halley

halley Well-Known Member

Japan's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (国土交通省) owns the data, and they publish the data I showed above at this site: 地理院地図 (in Japanese but simple interface). They publish the drone rules in English here: https://www.mlit.go.jp/en/koku/uas.html

DJI publishes the same data at their own Google Maps based website: DJI - Fly Safe: No Fly Zones (select ASIA, JAPAN in the two dropdown lists). There is always a chance it is slightly out of date from the official maps but so far I see no discrepancies.

Be sure to check for cherry blossom forecasts soon. Typically from the end of January in Okinawa, moving up to early May in Hokkaido. Also note that most sakura trees are planted specifically for ornamental reasons, and will have lots of people around them and under them during the peak week. Look for more rural locations where rows of sakura may be spotted uncrowded.

Nszasz likes this.
  4. Jackie Leung

Jackie Leung Active Member

From what I gathered, as I'm going to Tokyo in April. Tokyo is pretty much a no fly zone. But mount Fuji is fine. Can't wait to fly there

5. halley

halley Well-Known Member

Yes, all of Tokyo is a big NFZ by legislation. Most major cities also, but only due to the population density, not by specific laws.

6. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Member

Where I am working horses and living everyday.
    Red part and yellow part is restricted area for UAVs.

スクリーンショット 2017-03-11 20.22.48.png スクリーンショット 2017-03-11 20.25.06.png

7. Jackie Leung

Jackie Leung Active Member

Thanks, so I can fly when i have my day trip to Mount Fuji! Can't wait!

8. gregw

gregw Well-Known Member

Where is your map from? Can you give me the link? I'm going to be in Mount Fuji area in about a week and would like to know the areas I can/cannot fly around.. Also wondering why the yellow area is restricted... Is there some government facility in that area?

9. tokorobam

tokorobam Member

Tokyo is a vast area ranging from urban concentration and suburban sprawl, to farms, mountains, lakes, and open fields. I believe that the restricted areas are focused on the urban and suburban areas. There is an official DJI store in Shinjuku. They would know more.