DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Japan's Drone Restrictions

halley

Reactions
If you thought that trying to make out the FAA's drone rules was complex, check out Japan's. Actually, it's quite straightforward and they have good data available, but most of it is NOT integrated into the DJI's internal geo-fencing memory.

First, the conceptual airspace diagram.

1IElefX.png

Area (A) is over 150m AGL. Written permission required; written application must be made in Japanese.
Area (B) is over airports. Written permission required.
Area (C) is over densely populated areas. Defined by specific government maps, examples below.
Anywhere else (blue text), no permission required. Exceptions apply. Not over people, not over vehicles, not within 30 meters of a building, person or vehicle, not over "events" and not where cops tell you not to fly.

oLksC2X.jpg

0m13uys.jpg

Just thought I would share a little bit of how rules differ in other parts of the world.

Where can I have a look at the map restrictions? Is it the same as the DJI No Fly Zone? I'm traveling to Japan in 1.5 month for Cherry Blossoms, starting from the south and finishing in Tokyo. From what I see on the DJI coverage map, I could fly over Lake Biwa and somewhere close to Mt Fuji (just having the mountain in my view, not fly to the mountain). Now looking for a spot to film cherry blossoms legally from the air.

Japan's Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (国土交通省) owns the data, and they publish the data I showed above at this site: 地理院地図 (in Japanese but simple interface). They publish the drone rules in English here: https://www.mlit.go.jp/en/koku/uas.html

DJI publishes the same data at their own Google Maps based website: DJI - Fly Safe: No Fly Zones (select ASIA, JAPAN in the two dropdown lists). There is always a chance it is slightly out of date from the official maps but so far I see no discrepancies.

Be sure to check for cherry blossom forecasts soon. Typically from the end of January in Okinawa, moving up to early May in Hokkaido. Also note that most sakura trees are planted specifically for ornamental reasons, and will have lots of people around them and under them during the peak week. Look for more rural locations where rows of sakura may be spotted uncrowded.

Reactions: Nszasz
From what I gathered, as I'm going to Tokyo in April. Tokyo is pretty much a no fly zone. But mount Fuji is fine. Can't wait to fly there

Yes, all of Tokyo is a big NFZ by legislation. Most major cities also, but only due to the population density, not by specific laws.

Where I am working horses and living everyday.
Red part and yellow part is restricted area for UAVs.

View attachment 8208 View attachment 8209

Where is your map from? Can you give me the link? I'm going to be in Mount Fuji area in about a week and would like to know the areas I can/cannot fly around.. Also wondering why the yellow area is restricted... Is there some government facility in that area?

Tokyo is a vast area ranging from urban concentration and suburban sprawl, to farms, mountains, lakes, and open fields. I believe that the restricted areas are focused on the urban and suburban areas. There is an official DJI store in Shinjuku. They would know more.

Where is your map from? Can you give me the link? I'm going to be in Mount Fuji area in about a week and would like to know the areas I can/cannot fly around.. Also wondering why the yellow area is restricted... Is there some government facility in that area?
Hi, did you manage to fly your Mavic at Mt Fuji?

What are some good rural scenery locations in Japan?

I assume most of the great temples and castles are in densely populated areas, and probably off limits anyway.

Is Mount Fuji really the only "rural scenery" available to drone in Japan? That's a shame if so.

What are some good rural scenery locations in Japan?

I assume most of the great temples and castles are in densely populated areas, and probably off limits anyway.

Is Mount Fuji really the only "rural scenery" available to drone in Japan? That's a shame if so.

Hi, is it confirmed that we can fly drone at Mt Fuji?
I thought Mt Fuji is part of Japan national park and drones are not allowed in Japan parks?

Thanks.

Wondering about this topic. Has anyone successfully flown near Mt. Fuji.

Also is there anything else needed (drone registration in Japan) to fly drones? Heading to Japan in late March through April.

Hi,

I'm new member here.
I will be going to Osaka and Kyoto at the end of March til 10th Apr.
Is it possible to fly mavic in that area? I have already made some research but still did not get any information about this.

Are there anyone successfully fly on Fuji Mount ?

I also want to know if drone registration is needed
thz

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada