DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jello Video When Drone is Still

HeathAU25

Reactions
Hi all,

New Mavic owner here. Searched the forum and haven't seen a solution to jello with the drone LANDED and props OFF. Heres a sample:

As you can see, there are severe stabilization issues even when the drone is not in flight with the props off, resting on the ground, minimal to no wind. The effect is not all the time, just about 40-50% of any recorded video.

I'll admit, I got the drone on Ebay, so DJIcare/warranty is out of the question for me. I received a partial refund from the seller which I agreed to because he was very generous and refunded all but $300 for a fly more combo. I can easily sell the accessories for $300+, and that will leave me with a $0 cost drone to tinker with. My hobby with drones is just as much getting a broken one to fly as it is the actual flying. I brought a crashed P3P back to life last year with a new ribbon cable, some epoxy, and GPS sensor.

Has anyone fixed this issue before? It seems to me it may be a sensor or software problem. The gimbal is where it needs to be regarding all of the tabs (although it shouldn't be a shaking issue as this occurs even without the drone moving) Camera settings have been reset multiple times, IMU calibration, gimbal calibration, and compass calibration have all been performed a few times. I am willing to put a little money into this thing as I am already coming out ahead on this deal, and will update the thread when I find solutions. I have an ND filter coming my way next week as some have said that helps with jello, but I have my doubts for this issue.

It flies beautifully so I'd really like to keep this thing... thanks for any insight!

If you go up to the drone and hold the camera, does it still do it?

Oddly when I booted it up just now (inside) it's not jello-ing. BUT I went ahead and held the camera anyway along the side of the camera and the tilt arm and I feel a strong vibration when I squeeze in, causing the video to shake as it was before (video shows jello). Is this possibly a motor overload in the gimbal?

Reactions: Peter NL
Hi all,

New Mavic owner here. Searched the forum and haven't seen a solution to jello with the drone LANDED and props OFF. Heres a sample:

As you can see, there are severe stabilization issues even when the drone is not in flight with the props off, resting on the ground, minimal to no wind. The effect is not all the time, just about 40-50% of any recorded video.

I'll admit, I got the drone on Ebay, so DJIcare/warranty is out of the question for me. I received a partial refund from the seller which I agreed to because he was very generous and refunded all but $300 for a fly more combo. I can easily sell the accessories for $300+, and that will leave me with a $0 cost drone to tinker with. My hobby with drones is just as much getting a broken one to fly as it is the actual flying. I brought a crashed P3P back to life last year with a new ribbon cable, some epoxy, and GPS sensor.

Has anyone fixed this issue before? It seems to me it may be a sensor or software problem. The gimbal is where it needs to be regarding all of the tabs (although it shouldn't be a shaking issue as this occurs even without the drone moving) Camera settings have been reset multiple times, IMU calibration, gimbal calibration, and compass calibration have all been performed a few times. I am willing to put a little money into this thing as I am already coming out ahead on this deal, and will update the thread when I find solutions. I have an ND filter coming my way next week as some have said that helps with jello, but I have my doubts for this issue.

It flies beautifully so I'd really like to keep this thing... thanks for any insight!
Have you done a gimbal calibration? If you touch the gimbal motors while it's shaking are any of them warm or hot?

Reactions: HeathAU25
Oddly when I booted it up just now (inside) it's not jello-ing. BUT I went ahead and held the camera anyway along the side of the camera and the tilt arm and I feel a strong vibration when I squeeze in, causing the video to shake as it was before (video shows jello). Is this possibly a motor overload in the gimbal?

Make sure nothing is under the drone, and use some compressed air and blow out the motors. Also, check the flex cable to see if there is visible damage.

Reactions: Peter NL
Have you done a gimbal calibration? If you touch the gimbal motors while it's shaking are any of them warm or hot?

Gimbal calibration done and passed several times. The "pitch" motor (I think... the one that tilts up and down) is rather hot. Feels too hot. This is also where the vibration feels like it is coming from when I squeeze the camera along with that arm

My guess is a gimbal yaw motor problem not finding center. Has it been crashed?

This might also cause some focusing issues too if the motor can't find center? The camera doesn't seem to focus well.

No crashes. Drone appears brand new and consistent with the seller's description - "only flew a few times indoors"
Not a scratch on the thing except for where someone clearly booted up the props with the drone folded

Make sure nothing is under the drone, and use some compressed air and blow out the motors. Also, check the flex cable to see if there is visible damage.
Flex cable looks perfect. Will blow out around motors this weekend. Good easy idea.

The pitch motor would not give you side-to-side vibration, it would give up and down oscillation. Could be your ribbon cable or your yaw motor.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeathAU25
The pitch motor would not give you side-to-side vibration, it would give up and down oscillation. Could be your ribbon cable or your yaw motor.

With the Phantoms I worked on, it was worth a try to reseat the ribbon cable after a failed installation. Are Mavics the same way? Fragile ribbon cables? Very small and dainty little connections to the motors?

By the way, you guys have helped a lot already. It's so much easier to troubleshoot with more than one person looking at it. So thank you all

JELLO Hi i have the same Problem ?

No Crash ever and only not a year old Mavik P
sad.gif

I have try all ! New Firmware ! Calibration ! of EMU Gimbal but no Luck so ever "

Send it back to Dji is the best ?

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have had the same problem, after I flew the Mavic Pro with the low noise props.
I flew the drone, no problems whatsoever. Changed the props to the DJI original (ordered from DJI, not counterfeit), and first 2 minutes were ok. Then the camera image started to shake. Brought the drone down and even when landed and with the props not turning, the shaking would continue for some moments (about a minute or so?).

I then switched back to the original props, and the issue remained the same. Updated the drone, app and all battery soft/firmware to latest version, which was supposed to fix the issue... to no avail. Brought the drone back to the shop and received a refurbished one from DJI. This was in december, and until today, I haven't dared using the low noise props anymore :'-(

Reactions: Former Member
Update: I received a set of ND filters yesterday and did a test flight with a 16 on the gimbal. It solved 90% of my problems. I'm thinking the fraction of an ounce added to the front of the camera has mostly fixed an imbalance with the gimbal assembly. Or it was a fluke as I only was able to fly once. Or the tint from the ND filter is decreasing certain light waves and then decreasing a light sensor issue, but I find this less likely.

Thoughts anyone?

I’d still return it. The camera of the mavic is sensitive enough to all kinds of issues (soft areas, high noise, etc.) Adding another issue that is “more or less solved” will only further reduce your chances on good shots. And Murphy dictates that now the issue is totally gone, untill you have that once in a lifetime opportunity of a shot, and then it will come up again... :-/

Update#2: The ND filters have solved 100% of my problems. Did a few more test flights (long flights) yesterday and reviewed perfect footage throughout. Hopefully this helps someone out. It's gotta be a weight distribution thing going on with the gimbal.

Anyway, I'm happy with my ND filter solution.

Update i have send my MP to Dji !"
wait for it to return and see they fix it !
the camera and gimbal should work whitout filters ,my friends Mp work as a clock soo
the problem is on many new Mp pro mabey a monday batch !

nopp ! i have try new props !

ok they can be the balance but is not in this case !
its a known error on new mp ! many mp is send back to Dji !

this is the Gimbal Controll board or the kabels to camera !
or the Gimbal !

I wait To get it home and they have fix the problem or give me a New MP !

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie