DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jerking Camera -- Very Weird

Chaosrider

Reactions
I was just out flying one of my Mini-2s, and I saw a very weird problem. I was adjusting the angle of the camera to keep track of some things while I was moving and changing altitude, and several times when I let go of the little wheel, the camera stayed still briefly, and then jerked to a different angle.

Starting from this, there could be a number of explanations, but any proposed explanation needs to account for the fact that EXACTLY the same thing happened yesterday, with a DIFFERENT Mini-2, and a DIFFERENT controller.

Other than me, the only thing those two flights had in common was the phone...a freshly updated Android, with a freshly updated DJI Fly.

Perhaps DJI needs some remedial instruction on how to do software regression testing...

Thoughts?

TCS

Have you checked your settings and slowed down the gimbal speed?
No, but I probably should.

Still, that doesn't explain the problem. Why do TWO DIFFERENT drones and controllers start doing this at the same time?

Has anybody else seen this happen?

Thx,

TCS

Was the the
I was adjusting the angle of the camera to keep track of some things while I was moving and changing altitude
was this pointing the gimbal up or down relative to the gimbal's horizontal when the drone is hovering?

Chaosrider. I have on-screen messages/hints turned on during flight and one of them says to expect this jerky gimbal behavior, which might account for seeing this on your two different setups. I believe it to be the nature of the beast. It’s annoying, but stops if I fly gently in cine mode. It mostly happens when going forward and slowing abruptly. It kicks the gimbal about 20 degrees. I then hover and re-center. I would like to see this fixed in the next firmware. Then again, maybe I’m doing something wrong. I’ll make a mental note of which way it kicks next time I fly.

I was just out flying one of my Mini-2s, and I saw a very weird problem. I was adjusting the angle of the camera to keep track of some things while I was moving and changing altitude, and several times when I let go of the little wheel, the camera stayed still briefly, and then jerked to a different angle.

Starting from this, there could be a number of explanations, but any proposed explanation needs to account for the fact that EXACTLY the same thing happened yesterday, with a DIFFERENT Mini-2, and a DIFFERENT controller.

Other than me, the only thing those two flights had in common was the phone...a freshly updated Android, with a freshly updated DJI Fly.

Perhaps DJI needs some remedial instruction on how to do software regression testing...

Thoughts?

TCS
I have a Mavic 3 that is doing something just like this and I have video to show this to be true. I will be returning mine for sure!

My MM2 will do the same thing when flying at higher speeds, typically in normal/sport mode and depending on the wind speed. Seems to be due to pitch of the ac in my case. If I keep my movements slower and smoother it doesn't seem do it. I noticed it the last few times I took it out. My MA2 doesn't do this.

Was the the

was this pointing the gimbal up or down relative to the gimbal's horizontal when the drone is hovering?
Down.

I was bringing the drone in from the other side of the canyon, and keeping my house in sight with gimbal.

Thx,

TCS

Chaosrider. I have on-screen messages/hints turned on during flight and one of them says to expect this jerky gimbal behavior, which might account for seeing this on your two different setups. I believe it to be the nature of the beast. It’s annoying, but stops if I fly gently in cine mode. It mostly happens when going forward and slowing abruptly. It kicks the gimbal about 20 degrees. I then hover and re-center. I would like to see this fixed in the next firmware. Then again, maybe I’m doing something wrong. I’ll make a mental note of which way it kicks next time I fly.
Interesting. You may well be right. What you describe is completely consistent with the behavior that I observed. And now that you mention it, I haven't seen it in Cine mode, which I've just started to experiment with.

Thx!

TCS

My MM2 will do the same thing when flying at higher speeds, typically in normal/sport mode and depending on the wind speed. Seems to be due to pitch of the ac in my case. If I keep my movements slower and smoother it doesn't seem do it. I noticed it the last few times I took it out. My MA2 doesn't do this.
From yours and other comments, it's starting to sound like this really is a generic issue, and not a defect in my specific aircraft. Now that you mention it, I didn't start seeing it until I started to fly in Sport mode as my default.

Enlightening, thanks!

TCS

Reactions: Dharris6891
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allezzov