DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jerky video, picture breaking up

grignard

Reactions
Third flight with drone. Video settings, 4K 30 fps shutter 1/60 second, using ND16 filter. sd micro card Sandisk extreme 64 GB V30 xc1 3 a2.
Is this card fast enough for 4K recording to it? What other causes could it be? Will try HD recording setting next?
Please advise. grignard

Is the video breaking up when watching the live video feed while flying? Or is it breaking up when playing back the recorded video?

What he said...

If you mean the playback from card then I'd suggest getting and sd card test app that will test the burst and sustained speed. That card should be fast enough and even when I run a U1 card it generally handles it without any real breakup or stutters.

It seemed to be breaking up from both the live video feed, and playing back from the card.

That sounds like two unrelated issues then.

When the live video feed breaks up, that's often a sign that your mobile device is either too slow or not running efficiently. These tips should help resolve that issue:
For playing back the video, you'll want to copy/move the videos from the memory card to your computer before attempting to play them. If they still break up then, try using a different video player (like VLC). If that doesn't help, then your computer is likely too slow to handle 4K video. If using a faster computer is not an option, then shoot video in a lower video resolution (something below 4K).

Here's a hint if you play the same file multiple times and the stutter is in the same place or you see it on multiple devices, the the issue is probably the video, not your computer.. If it's the video on the card, try recording to the internal memory and again I'd download a sd speed test app. If it's just your PC that can't play them back... well you already know the answer to that ;-)

Thanks for all your helpful comments. The problem was the computer is too slow to cope with 4K video. Shooting in HD solved the problem. I will try a different video player
but until i get a faster computer, i am quite happy with the quality of HD. Great forum by the way.
Grignard

if you're running on windows, try Media Player Classic, it has the best performance and will get as much out of your PC as possible.