DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jerky video playback from within this forum; same video direct on youtube plays smooth (all on a Mac)

WWMav

Reactions
Does anyone know what is likely causing this issue? Jerky video playback from within this forum; same video direct on youtube plays smooth (all on a Mac)

This is almost certainly a computer question or inquiry but thought I'd post it here since I've only noticed it occurring with the MavicPilots forum. I've been a subscriber to the forum for a number of years and enjoy seeing what others are doing with their Mavics. I've noticed that frequently when I click on an embedded video the video starts playing and within 5-10 seconds the video becomes "jumpy or jerky" and the screen brightness flashes every few seconds. If I move the cursor every few seconds on the screen the video plays smoothly. If I choose to watch the video via youTube, the video plays smoothly for the duration of the clip. I have not observed, one way or another, whether the same behavior occurs with Vimeo clips posted on the forum. The computer on which this is occurring is a mid 2015 MacBook Pro with a 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 and 6 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can check in my computer's settings?

YouTube re-encodes your footage to a better codec for streaming. What codec is being used on your Mac. H265 is not played well on most older, lower powered Macs (or PCs). A hardware decoder is required in both cases for smooth playback. H.264 should work much better.

Does anyone know what is likely causing this issue? Jerky video playback from within this forum; same video direct on youtube plays smooth (all on a Mac)

This is almost certainly a computer question or inquiry but thought I'd post it here since I've only noticed it occurring with the MavicPilots forum. I've been a subscriber to the forum for a number of years and enjoy seeing what others are doing with their Mavics. I've noticed that frequently when I click on an embedded video the video starts playing and within 5-10 seconds the video becomes "jumpy or jerky" and the screen brightness flashes every few seconds. If I move the cursor every few seconds on the screen the video plays smoothly. If I choose to watch the video via youTube, the video plays smoothly for the duration of the clip. I have not observed, one way or another, whether the same behavior occurs with Vimeo clips posted on the forum. The computer on which this is occurring is a mid 2015 MacBook Pro with a 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 and 6 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can check in my computer's settings?
I think it may have something to do with the way You Tube encodes videos. I have just about given up on You Tube since joining Vimeo and have never experience that problem. When I posted to You Tube it would take several hours to become focused and set in. My Vimeo uploads are fine from the start. Also, I find that whenever I watch a You Tube I always have to go to the cog wheel to boost the video to its highest resolution.

Dale
Miami

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22