DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jerky videos - Counsel on altering yaw sensitivity, rate of turn and video frame rate, please

KLJ5

Reactions
Hi everyone. I'm quite new to drones, video and video editing. (learning DaVinci Resolve slowly but surely) I haven't yet learned how to make a video from my Mavic 2 Pro without having parts of it jerky. I've contemplated lowering the yaw sensitivity to try to address jerky transitions from straight ahead to yaw, but my smart controller cautions against playing with the sensitivity if one isn't experienced. I've read recommendations to use a frame rate of 25 fpm and double that for shutter speed (1/50) However, in searching for solutions to jerkiness, I've read other recommendations to up the frame rate to smooth things out. (no 4k with 60 fpm) Others have recommended turn rates of no greater that 5°/second. That would be pretty tough to gauge, I think. So my questions are as follows:
  • Would you recommend lowering the sensitivity of the yaw rate? If so, to what number? Why or why not?
  • Should I leave the frame rate where it is, or??.....
  • Any tips on how to gauge and maintain a turn rate of x degrees per second?
Thanx in advance for any insight you can provide to me.

First and foremost, before changing any settings (some of which certainly help), I think it's useful to just realize that you won't always have smooth action, so shoot with that in mind.

In other words: know you're going to have jerky movements and plan to edit them out, go ahead and pan BEYOND the point you need, knowing that your edit point will occur before the jerky stop.

Of course, it's still a problem if you want there to be a full stop in the final video.

Trim the start and end, but you can also cut it in the middle if there's some jerky movement there too.

You really don't want super long single-cut scenes anyways, and movement always helps keep the viewer's interest.

Chris

Instead of changing your settings, try filming in Tripod mode first. That slows your stick sensitivity and speed down for filming. There are times that even observing the 180 degree shutter rule, it will still be choppy on a pan. A lot of it has to do with focal length, how close you are to objects and so forth. Here's a good explanation on limitations RED.com

I meant to comment on specific settings (after giving you advice you didn't ask for).

I actually don't have any beyond what you can already find with an internet search of "mavic 2 pro yaw sensitivity" (which seems to point to Main Controller Settings > Advanced Settings > Sensitivity) because I was dismayed to find that there was not the level of user tweaking with the M2P that we had with the older Phantom models. There seemed to me to be much more leeway for adjusting yaw, braking, and also stick curves (sensitivity). If all of that is still there, I can't find it (but would love to be corrected).

However, I would not adjust recording settings such as frame-rate to compensate for jerky video. I would stick to yaw sensitivity settings, tripod / cinematic modes, and (as I mentioned above) shoot with editing in mind.

Also: there are threads on these boards on configuring your M2P for ATTI mode, You can use ATTI to allow your aircraft to drift, which will give you movement without using the sticks at all, hence, no jerky movements. Search for the "ATTI" in thread titles (ask if you are interested but can't find the threads).

Chris

Also: there are threads on these boards on configuring your M2P for ATTI mode, You can use ATTI to allow your aircraft to drift, which will give you movement without using the sticks at all, hence, no jerky movements. Search for the "ATTI" in thread titles (ask if you are interested but can't find the threads).

Chris
Given the OP stated he is a total novice, ATTI mode would make it more difficult and increase the risk of crashing. No horizontal stabilization is pretty difficult for beginners.

Given the OP stated he is a total novice, ATTI mode would make it more difficult and increase the risk of crashing. No horizontal stabilization is pretty difficult for beginners.

Good point. Though further advice to a novice is "learning to fly without GPS lock is a good skill to learn", since even the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom can auto-switch into ATTI when it loses GPS lock.

And also, if you learn it, it also allows for some smoother movement for cinematic video.

Chris

Good point. Though further advice to a novice is "learning to fly without GPS lock is a good skill to learn", since even the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom can auto-switch into ATTI when it loses GPS lock.

And also, if you learn it, it also allows for some smoother movement for cinematic video.

Chris
Chris, I agree....being able to fly in ATTI mode is a most useful skill. I myself took the P-mode path to become proficient with my M2P before I kicked off the training wheels and used ATTI mode.

I was coming from the OP's perspective that he is new to drones.

Ian gives some nice information on smoothing the controls. The adjustments are app specific so no need to worry if it applies to your drone.

Reactions: Crash Gibby
First and foremost, before changing any settings (some of which certainly help), I think it's useful to just realize that you won't always have smooth action, so shoot with that in mind.

In other words: know you're going to have jerky movements and plan to edit them out, go ahead and pan BEYOND the point you need, knowing that your edit point will occur before the jerky stop.

Of course, it's still a problem if you want there to be a full stop in the final video.

Trim the start and end, but you can also cut it in the middle if there's some jerky movement there too.

You really don't want super long single-cut scenes anyways, and movement always helps keep the viewer's interest.

Chris
Thanx for your comments, Chris. My main problem, it seems, is during a turn. The turn is at a nice constant rate, but it looks jerky in the playback on my computer.

Instead of changing your settings, try filming in Tripod mode first. That slows your stick sensitivity and speed down for filming. There are times that even observing the 180 degree shutter rule, it will still be choppy on a pan. A lot of it has to do with focal length, how close you are to objects and so forth. Here's a good explanation on limitations RED.com
Thanx very much for your suggestion. I'd decided I wouldn't use tripod mode because I understood it won't allow the use of intelligent modes, but my problems haven't occurred when using intelligent modes, so I'll try your suggestion when not using them.

I meant to comment on specific settings (after giving you advice you didn't ask for).

I actually don't have any beyond what you can already find with an internet search of "mavic 2 pro yaw sensitivity" (which seems to point to Main Controller Settings > Advanced Settings > Sensitivity) because I was dismayed to find that there was not the level of user tweaking with the M2P that we had with the older Phantom models. There seemed to me to be much more leeway for adjusting yaw, braking, and also stick curves (sensitivity). If all of that is still there, I can't find it (but would love to be corrected).

However, I would not adjust recording settings such as frame-rate to compensate for jerky video. I would stick to yaw sensitivity settings, tripod / cinematic modes, and (as I mentioned above) shoot with editing in mind.

Chris
That's really helpful, Chris. I'll check out the links. Thanks.

I'll take that as a 'don't do it for now'. Thanx, Eric. I don't consider myself a risk taker. :>)

Reactions: EricJT

Chris
Any advice on what exercises or precautions one my take when first trying out ATTI mode to get a feel for it?

Thanx for your comments, Chris. My main problem, it seems, is during a turn. The turn is at a nice constant rate, but it looks jerky in the playback on my computer.

Ah, that's an entirely different thing. Sorry, when I hear the term "jerky", I usually think of un-even stick action. I should have asked to be sure.

Yeah, the un-even choppiness given when panning and turning is normal and as you already learned, can be treated with higher frame-rates.

Even with older aircraft (phantoms) with more parameters to tweet for smoother yaw (and braking, and speed changes of any action), you would still get this when turning and filming at lower frame rates.

Chris

Any advice on what exercises or precautions one my take when first trying out ATTI mode to get a feel for it?

With my new awareness of your problem, I have to say that ATTI won't help the specific issue if choppy video while turning.

But it's still nice to know. The best precaution is to know how to immediately switch back to P mode (out of ATTI and back to GPS lock). When you start feeling unconfident when the AC starts drifting towards an obstacle, it's nice to be able to immediately stop it in place by putting it in GPS lock.

Another thing is: I think probably one of the first mistakes one makes when new to ATTI is to over-correct.. Start with small movements. When it starts to drift, it takes very little stick action to get it to go stop or go back the other direction.

Fly it in P (GPS) mode to a place in the sky far away from any obstacle, on a day without a heavy wind, then switch it to ATTI and watch it slowly start to drift, then begin making small corrections to try and keep it in one place.

Chris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS