Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Jittery looking footage

Enzoxs

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Hi guys,

Looking for a second opinion on this, tearing my hair out here.

For some reason footage from my Mavic Air 1 is looking awful when there's movement, even if it's slow. I'm shooting at 30fps 1/60sec, only because 25fps 1/50sec looks much more jagged to me. Is footage out of MA1 supposed to look like this? Shot at 30 although both my PC and Premiere read it as 27.03 fps. Two clips included, one edited and one unedited. I'm not sure why it looks much worse in the edit. Using Neat Video, Warp Stabilizer and Lumetri on the edit.

Using a Sandisk Ultra card, 64gb.

Starting to get more jobs from clients that require drone footage so any advice would be much appreciated 😄

Edit

Raw

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Looking for a second opinion on this, tearing my hair out here.

For some reason footage from my drone looking awful when there's movement, even if it's slow. I'm shooting at 30fps 1/60sec, only because 25fps 1/50sec looks much more jagged to me. Is footage out of MA1 supposed to look like this? Shot at 30 although both my PC and Premiere read it as 27.03 fps. Two clips included, one edited and one unedited. I'm not sure why it looks much worse in the edit. Using Neat Video, Warp Stabilizer and Lumetri on the edit.

Using a Sandisk Ultra card, 64gb.

Starting to get more jobs from clients that require drone footage so any advice would be much appreciated 😄

Edit

Raw
Well right off the bat, your frame rates are a problem in the 'edit' version. If you shot at 30 fps, your time line and final render should also be at 30 fps (29.97) before upload to Youtube. However, the edited video you link was uploaded to Youtube at 25 fps (which is a normal PAL standard) so your introducing a problem in your edit and/or final render.

When you say 'both my PC and Premiere read it as 27.03 fps' - thats a problem. You may want to spend a little time researching about frame rates and rendering.

The Raw video clip is showing a problem as well, related to FPS . When you say 'Raw' do you mean right off the SD card out of the drone or have you brought it into some program? I ask because that video was uploaded at 29 fps - not 29.97 which will show as 30 fps. So somehow the frame rate went from 30 in the drone to 29 prior to upload.

Problems like these are almost always because the timeline and render settings of whatever NLE one is using is not set up properly. Can you describe in detail your work flow?

Reactions: DoomMeister
Well right off the bat, your frame rates are a problem in the 'edit' version. If you shot at 30 fps, your time line and final render should also be at 30 fps (29.97) before upload to Youtube. However, the edited video you link was uploaded to Youtube at 25 fps (which is a normal PAL standard) so your introducing a problem in your edit and/or final render.

When you say 'both my PC and Premiere read it as 27.03 fps' - thats a problem. You may want to spend a little time researching about frame rates and rendering.

The Raw video clip is showing a problem as well, related to FPS . When you say 'Raw' do you mean right off the SD card out of the drone or have you brought it into some program? I ask because that video was uploaded at 29 fps - not 29.97 which will show as 30 fps. So somehow the frame rate went from 30 in the drone to 29 prior to upload.

Problems like these are almost always because the timeline and render settings of whatever NLE one is using is not set up properly. Can you describe in detail your work flow?

Just looked at the properties of all the files from the shoot again. For some reason, that shot is 27.04fps, whilst all the others are 29.97. The stutter is noticeably worse in this one shot. It's strange, I've no clue how this could've happened. Any ideas?

'Edit' was supposed to have exported to match the framerate of the clip, but it seems it's done it at 25.

By 'raw' I mean straight off the SD card, nothing done to it at all. Screenshot of the properties of that same clip attached.

To confirm, usually when using drone clips in films that are shot and rendered at 25fps, I'll shoot at 30fps on the drone, slow those clips down to 83.3% then render everything at 25fps. This is because I've had bad experiences with stutter when shooting with the drone at 25fps and 1/50sec. I use only use Premiere on these shots, sometimes with the Reduce Noise plugin from Neat Video.

I've also uploaded another of the clips from the shoot. This one is 29.97fps. I still see a slight bit of stutter, this is much more like what I experience with the footage from this drone regularly. Does this look right?

Clip 1

Clip 2

Thanks

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Pilot
If you are shooting 4K video you may also want to check your SD card rating. I believe the SanDisk Ultra is only a U1 rated card and 4K requires a U3 rated card like this. 13B503BA-4080-462F-A91A-72BF1DC43655.jpeg

Reactions: Ty Pilot
I've also uploaded another of the clips from the shoot. This one is 29.97fps. I still see a slight bit of stutter, this is much more like what I experience with the footage from this drone regularly. Does this look right?

Clip 1

Clip 2

Thanks

Clips one and two here (post #5) look normal on my end, no stutter (like the others in your first post), and both are uploaded to; and playing on Youtube at 30 fps (29.97)

By 'raw' I mean straight off the SD card, nothing done to it at all. Screenshot of the properties of that same clip attached.

That screen shot of the properties of your original clip may suggest that there is a problem with the camera, but it could very well be as @DoomMeister suggests, a card that is not capturing every frame. 27.04 fps is not a frame rate that any camera I have ever heard of records at - certainly not the Mavic Air 1.

The clips play well on my computer - no obvious problem at all. It even shows two clear "jerky" control movements around 26 seconds. The drone is doing fine; your system may may not be doing so well?

Hello all, new here. I purchased the Mavic 3 a week ago and had several successful flights with video and photos. My last operation, the final two video clips I took are glitchy. What is going on? I do this for commercial use and I can't have random clips glitching out from time to time. I have brand new sandisk extreme pro v30 3 card. here is a link to the video I uploaded to youtube
. I tried recording more video on same card with 30 or so clips over two flights running the battery all the way dow to 8% to see if I could repeat it but everything looks good. Anyone else have this problem? I am thinking of returning the Mavic 3 for a replacement while my return window is still open but don't want to do that if it's something that can be remedied. Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123