DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Join us for a little flying at -40F

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
This is more about humorous flying temps than anything so I put it here instead of Photos and Video but mods can move it if they wish.
This is just a little excerpt from a flight a year or two ago.

I flew my drone when it was 20 degrees outside and I did that for 5 minutes. My hands were freezing. I can’t imagine what your hands felt like.

I flew my drone when it was 20 degrees outside and I did that for 5 minutes. My hands were freezing. I can’t imagine what your hands felt like.
After a while it stops hurting LOL then at some point you want to make sure your fingers are formed the position you want them since they somehow get stuck in that position and turn a nice shade of white till you warm up Hah :). If it had gotten really cold I'm sure my buddy would have put on some gloves :) :).

• Haha
Reactions: okw
Interesting that -40F is -40C. Anywhoo haven’t flown in that cold but have flown my P3S in temps around -25C with a wind chill that was even colder out in the middle of a frozen lake.

Probably won’t fly my Mavic 3 or my Mini 3 pro in temps colder than -10C until the warranty has expired since I don’t want to void the warranty in case of a mishap.

Chris

This is more about humorous flying temps than anything so I put it here instead of Photos and Video but mods can move it if they wish.
Have you had a drone fall from the sky because of the temp

Right, that’s it, I’ll never post a pic/vid moaning about the cold weather! We had -5C before Christmas and I could hardly move after 10mins. I was an ice block but my MA2 flew very happily so great to see your post ak.

AK, when we visited Alaska many years ago, a friend said "Alaska is like Colorado, but on steroids." Perhaps that's true of you hearty folk who live there. Just tougher, not actually on steroids of course.

AK, when we visited Alaska many years ago, a friend said "Alaska is like Colorado, but on steroids." Perhaps that's true of you hearty folk who live there. Just tougher, not actually on steroids of course.
Oh...but I AM on steroids...for my knee :).

Reactions: a2tomm
I have never had any problem with my drone getting too cold. I've posted some other thoughts on flying when it's cold... I did get a message once that said something along the lines of a problem with the battery when I was flying at high speed with my DJI FPV at -20F so I slowed down and headed home. I did a relatively short flight at -20F this year...and afterwards looked at the battery temps and the battery never went below something like 65F which surprised me but under load, batteries warm up, eh? I think the concern about flying in cold temps is vastly over stated. I've had props come back frosted over (not at all good) after flying through fog and have had my lens fog up when bringing it in the warm car but now try to take those things into account. I've flown at -30F with no problem but I do always make such flights extra short so I don't push it. If we get any -50F this year I plan to do a hover test and watch the drone from inside the house :). It was much harder to shoot aurora at -60F than it is to fly a drone at -20F. I guess that makes sense. dunno if I'll ever know about drones at -60F . Global warming seems to have taken care of it; so please continue to burn all the fossil fuel you can. Much appreciated. (joking)

I thought that was well done. I also also have a set of landing gear for one of my drones that I use occasionally when I think the snow will be an issue.

Thanks for the info on the cold weather flying I have been wondering about that, I am only talking of maybe -3 of -4 and just a short flight I am quite new at flying so I have to get advice quite often thanks again !

Thanks for the info on the cold weather flying I have been wondering about that, I am only talking of maybe -3 of -4 and just a short flight I am quite new at flying so I have to get advice quite often thanks again !
-3 or -4 meh... I won't see anything that warm for another month and a half. Well...that may not be true but it sounds good. At those temps I don't even think about it being cold. As I've mentioned in some other thread, I've flown at -20F and then checked the battery temp readings and it doesn't go below 65F or so after starting at room temp. The flights are relatively short, the battery has a fair bit of mass and as it flies the battery heats up so cold temps really don't make much difference to the drone other than considerations of condensation freezing and causing problems. Regardless of that I still fly very conservatively once it gets below -10F. I try to come back with 15% or more of battery life which is why I have 5 batteries for all of my drones except the FPV for which I have 6.

-3 or -4 meh... I won't see anything that warm for another month and a half. Well...that may not be true but it sounds good. At those temps I don't even think about it being cold. As I've mentioned in some other thread, I've flown at -20F and then checked the battery temp readings and it doesn't go below 65F or so after starting at room temp. The flights are relatively short, the battery has a fair bit of mass and as it flies the battery heats up so cold temps really don't make much difference to the drone other than considerations of condensation freezing and causing problems. Regardless of that I still fly very conservatively once it gets below -10F. I try to come back with 15% or more of battery life which is why I have 5 batteries for all of my drones except the FPV for which I have 6.
Thanks for the come back I did fly yesterday AT -4 had no problem just wanted to get a couple of winter ***** in thanks again !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada