DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Joining the scary disconnect club.

doccy

Reactions
So... using android phone, (one plus 5) latest firmwares.

Tonight when taking pics the DJI app crashed. No problem, I restarted it and kept cool as plenty of battery to sort things out.

Unlike previous crashes though - when the app loaded it couldn't communicate with the controller. I still had manual control through the controller - but the app did not recognise the mavic was connected at all.

Several app forced close and restarts later.. no joy. Tried unplugging and replugging the cables. Then rebooted my phone. Still nothing.

Eventually managed to land the drone manually - restarting the battery didn't help... eventually closed the remote, restarted it and got full control back.

Quite worrying really. Thankfully the drone was close when this happened - if it happened far out I could have been in big trouble.

Any ideas what happened here? What happens if I reboot the controller when my phone is disconnected and the mavic is at a distance - will it just automatically do a RTH? Can my controller reconnect somehow after the reboot even if there is a km or 2 in the way?

As far as what happened - hard to say as it is not that uncommon especially on the Android side. When you reboot the RC, the Mavic will initiate RTH three seconds after loss of comm link. Once you finish the reboot and restart of the app it should not be a problem to regain control and cancel the RTH.

Not being a fan boy follower but as the post before me stated, seems to be a common issue with Android. With I have logged 62 hrs of flight time with my  iPad and have yet to experience an issue.

I had disconnects when using the small RC USB cable to connect my iPhone. I use the standard sized USB on the bottom of the RC and haven't had anymore disconnects.

I had disconnects when using the small RC USB cable to connect my iPhone. I use the standard sized USB on the bottom of the RC and haven't had anymore disconnects.

I've read that other places - will give this a go.

Thanks for the advice guys. Does seem to be worse with android from what i read - BAD DJI!

I was never too phased with the app crashing before - it was this whole RC needing to reboot thing that has got me worried.

I wonder if your android has a virus in it since its known to happen often with them? Seems theyre more prone to viruses than apples ios? Maybe theres something interfering with your aoftware.

If i had a non ios based phone and this happened, id reformat my phone and install a fresh os

Don't panic when you lose FEED on you android Device.!
........................... And loss of SIGNAL with controller are two different thing
................................ it happen.
What you want to do ...
In controller setting always set Loss of signal return Home (RTH)...NOT Hover or Landing.
Resetting your controller inflight will not help when loss of feed occurs.

That is what amazing about DJI software/Mavic Pro is there FailSafe Mode
your controller is link by satilites (more then 6) you have "GPS"
drops below 6 Sat's controller goes into ATTI mode
if you have setting correct........And if the Craft (mavic) looses signal with Controller (RC)
Failsafe is Engaged and RTH is Activated
have not tried to Reboot The Controller during flight
have had loss of Signal a few time and RTH kicks in and work Most of the time

few time it did not work it RTH but hung above Home port and I was able to take
control
And why I have My hard set Rule
1. Never to fly with less then 20% battery
............C

I did Panic Once when Loss of signal with controller....... (windy & sports mode)
Failsafe mode Kicked in and RTH activated Mavic came back and Hung in the air above home port.?
Low on battery Less the 20%
I gained control late battery was 8% and I panic at around 30ft
I pulled back both stick (CSC)
All motors Stop.!

again set controller to" Emergence" Not "Always" activate CSC
(should be by default)
and just the other day it happen again But with More then 20% battery I could take my time Troubleshoot and
Found by toggling between Sport and "P" I could Descend and land No Damage
sorry if I sound like a broken Record (Pieces of Vinyl)
This lesson cost me $350 Hopefully I can help some one on here not to make the same Mistake
......................C

had happen once . usually the app disconnects then i just restart the app and it works . but . when i was in hawaii idk how many of u have been or or any of u know of waipio valley . but it is a huggeee valley and about 2 feet out theres a massive drop off . off a cliff and it goes down hundreds off feet to a beach . well i flew my drone there and was way out i brought my drone below the cliff line and was out of sight..i guess the signal must of cut off .i restarted the app . nothhing . the RC wasnt doin anything or didnt say anything. i didnt know where the drone was . looking all around . suddenly i look u and there it is waaaaay up . i had my RTH to about 100m just in case . guess it disconnected from RC and did the return to home function..wwas scared but got lucky lol

Reactions: charliesRig
The oem cable definitely seems to be flaky. When using it I had disconnects every single flight. Switched to using my iPhone charging cable from bottom USB port without issues, today used 3rd party side port to iPhone replacement cable which appears to be okay too. Hth

Reactions: charliesRig
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929