JPG + Raw in Fly app

Squidinc

I come from a land “down under”
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
youtu.be
Hi guys,

Took a few panorama pics the other day on my MA2 and set camera in the latest fly app to jpg + raw. Got the jpgs fine, but searching the SD card there wasn’t any DNG folders created with the raw pics? Am I missing something?

Hi guys,

Took a few panorama pics the other day on my MA2 and set camera in the latest fly app to jpg + raw. Got the jpgs fine, but searching the SD card there wasn’t any DNG folders created with the raw pics? Am I missing something?
The dng files should be in the same folder as the jpg files.

Reactions: Thomas B
It may be that you were shooting a pano in a special mode.
I have always saved jpeg + RAW with the result of having both jpeg and DNG of every image on my SD card.

It may be that you were shooting a pano in a special mode.
I have always saved jpeg + RAW with the result of having both jpeg and DNG of every image on my SD card.

Not sure what you mean by “special mode” ? I just set my camera settings to “jpg + raw”. Took another look at my SD card but could not locate any DNG files? (See attached pics) I recall on a previous occasion shooting jpg + raw all the DNG files were in a separate folder on my SD card, but not this time?

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 8.39.40 pm.JPG
Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 8.40.36 pm.JPG

Hi guys,

Did you shoot individual images to compile into panoramas in tour computer ... or did you use the panorama feature in the drone?
If you used the panorama feature, you won't find any dng files, because it only creates jpg files.

My dng files are in the same folder as the jpegs. As another user said shooting pano doesn't create those raw dng files. Is there any possibility your computer just is hiding the dng files because it may not recognize the extension? I usually use lightroom to import the dng files, I do wish the mavic air had a way to disable even taking jpegs because I don't use them and have to exclude them from imports or delete them all later.

Did you shoot individual images to compile into panoramas in tour computer ... or did you use the panorama feature in the drone?
If you used the panorama feature, you won't find any dng files, because it only creates jpg files.
I toggled on “jpg & raw” in the drone fly app. If the drone doesn’t create DNG files as you say, then why is there a raw option?

I toggled on “jpg & raw” in the drone fly app. If the drone doesn’t create DNG files as you say, then why is there a raw option?
Your drone's camera will create dng files if you are shooting single images.
It won't if you are shooting with the automated panorama function that processes the panorama in the drone.

Reactions: Squidinc
Thanks for clarifying. ??
It won't if you are shooting with the automated panorama function that processes the panorama in the drone.
It's too bad they don't facilitate a way for the drone to snap the required panoramic image frames in raw format but simply not stitch them for those of us that want a raw work flow and superior quality. I to panos all the time and just keep moving the drone then snapping multiple shots but it's easy to not properly overlap them.

Reactions: Squidinc
Either the Mac OS skips folders or you forgot to copy these folders as well. The folder shown "100_0034" are the raw files making up the DJI_0034.jpg panoramic file under "100MEDIA".
1609986622756.png

Either the Mac OS skips folders or you forgot to copy these folders as well. The folder shown "100_0034" are the raw files making up the DJI_0034.jpg panoramic file under "100MEDIA".
View attachment 121051
Now I’m a little confused (again). I thought I read that the fly app doesn’t create a panorama folder for each pano taken with the raw DNG files inside it?

View attachment 121051
Which drone? I'm using the mini 2 and I do get a folder containing all the images that make up the panorama but they are in jpeg format. If it does indeed save the dng's for the panoramic modes but I'm just not seeing the I'll be a happy camper. I wonder if I can hover inside the house and test this, I don't think I can shoot panos with the camera unless the drone is in flight.

Which drone? I'm using the mini 2 and I do get a folder containing all the images that make up the panorama but they are in jpeg format. If it does indeed save the dng's for the panoramic modes but I'm just not seeing the I'll be a happy camper. I wonder if I can hover inside the house and test this, I don't think I can shoot panos with the camera unless the drone is in flight.
Thanks. I’m flying a MA2.

View attachment 121051
I just tried it out and figured out why I wasn't getting any DNG files for my panoramas... apparently the photos settings for the panoramic camera mode are independent and checking "raw+jpeg" in the panoramic setting, it does not carry over from the other single shot photo mode. It's actually a better way to have it setup but I didn't realize I had to go into that settings screen while the camera was setup to take panoramas. Thanks for bringing this to my attention and the others that have said panoramas are jpeg only. this is great, it'll make doing these shots a lot easier for the future. Only thing I wish is it was possible to shoot that mode and stack exposure bracketing on top of that but I'm happy with what it provides.

I just tried it out and figured out why I wasn't getting any DNG files for my panoramas... apparently the photos settings for the panoramic camera mode are independent and checking "raw+jpeg" in the panoramic setting, it does not carry over from the other single shot photo mode. It's actually a better way to have it setup but I didn't realize I had to go into that settings screen while the camera was setup to take panoramas. Thanks for bringing this to my attention and the others that have said panoramas are jpeg only. this is great, it'll make doing these shots a lot easier for the future. Only thing I wish is it was possible to shoot that mode and stack exposure bracketing on top of that but I'm happy with what it provides.
Thanks so much for your help on this. Greatly appreciated ??

Reactions: robwas
DNG files are created on the Mini 2 if you select DNG + JPG while shooting an automated panorama. However, it won't create the panorama for you in that setting, like it does if you select JPG only. It just shoots the 26 stills in DNG and JPG, allowing you to use either for the 360° panorama, and stitch it yourself.

Reactions: robwas
DNG files are created on the Mini 2 if you select DNG + JPG while shooting an automated panorama. However, it won't create the panorama for you in that setting, like it does if you select JPG only. It just shoots the 26 stills in DNG and JPG, allowing you to use either for the 360° panorama, and stitch it yourself.
Good information. I wasn't aware that selecting JPEG only enabled it to automatically stitch one onboard. Before I realized you had to set JPEG+RAW while actively in the panogramic modes it was set to JPEG only and I was getting auto stitched panos. What I didn't realize is that setting JPEG+RAW in the standard single shot mode didn't carry over to the panoramic modes and also didn't realize when you select the RAW option that you then didn't get an automatic one but I'm good with that I don't want the drone to do my stitching and I'm really happy to have the RAW. One thing I did notice, if you're in 180 pano mode the drone will put move the camera to level if you have it pointed down before starting the sequence.

One thing I did notice, if you're in 180 pano mode the drone will put move the camera to level if you have it pointed down before starting the sequence.
It does the same in the 360° pano mode, so make sure you like the exposure at that elevation of the gimbal before starting the sequence, as it creates the autoexposure setting used for all 26 images. Change the start direction if it will be too dark or too light.

Reactions: Squidinc and robwas
With everyone's input I figured out where I was going wrong to capture raw DNG files in Panorama Mode. When I was switching from video to camera to pano, I was not going back into camera settings to reset the Pano mode to raw. Once I did that you can see in my attached pic that the Fly App created a Panorama folder for each pano I took on my SD card and within those folders, 21 raw DNG pics to stitch & process. Happy Days!
Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 5.07.38 pm.png

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada