DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just a thought?

Photoman phil

Reactions
I was out the other day flying my mini 2
And wondering if the drone is up in the air, could i come out of the fly app and take a photo with my phone of it in the air or do a selfie with the drone and me if it was just hovering ovesley without it losing control and flying off etc?

Reactions: eaglesurfing
Pretty sure the answer is yes, just tried it with my MM indoors, just a photo of the drone, not a selfie etc.
One amendment, which probably would be unnecessary but.......I think the range and height will be limited whilst the phone is disconnected. I imagine you would not be attempting this with the drone at distance but .............

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: eaglesurfing
Pretty sure the answer is yes, just tried it with my MM indoors, just a photo of the drone, not a selfie etc.
One amendment, which probably would be unnecessary but.......I think the range and height will be limited whilst the phone is disconnected. I imagine you would not be attempting this with the drone at distance but .............
Range and altitude is limited only if the app is not connected on TO. It would be more dangerous for it to force descend and get closer than to just resume it's current limits.

As a matter of fact tapfly still autopilots if the app crashes as that has happened to me with my M2Z and almost forgot the AC wouldn't be just hovering and so hit the pause button while I resumed the app.

It would be more dangerous for it to force descend and get closer than to just resume it's current limits.
Ah ha you answered the question I had not asked, thank you.
The question was going to be what would happen if you were beyond the limits when the connection to the phone was lost. I was going to try it about 1/2 an hour ago but my controller's battery was too low

You don't need your phone or tablet to fly the drone. I often fly without hooking up to my mobile and do exactly that, take pics of the drone.

You don't need your phone or tablet to fly the drone. I often fly without hooking up to my mobile and do exactly that, take pics of the drone.
Then you end up with pics of your eyes neighbors and what about vçnever mind the safety issues.

Hahaha. Off target? VLOS takes on a whole new meaning. Even though the drone is audible, often while trying to take a snap you momentarily lose sight of it. Trick is to stay calm but honestly, taking pics of the drone in flight means the drone is usually close by. There is nothing illegal about it and the controllers RTH works perfectly fine. I only hook up my mobile if I'm wanting to video.

I was out the other day flying my mini 2
And wondering if the drone is up in the air, could i come out of the fly app and take a photo with my phone of it in the air or do a selfie with the drone and me if it was just hovering ovesley without it losing control and flying off etc?
Suggestion: find another video recorder- like your wife's phone, an Osmo Mobile, Osmo Action, Osmo Pocket, or start flying with a tablet and bigger image so your phone is not involved.

Reactions: Capt KO
Hahaha. Off target? VLOS takes on a whole new m.......
I am not sure what you think I was 'saying' but for clarity I was literally asking, when you do not have a screen view available for aiming the drone/camera how often is the error in aiming such that the subject is not in shot?
I was not questioning the wisdom or lack of wisdom of flying with the phone not connected. In fact, bearing in mind post #7, it may well increase the probability of the drone being in sight.

Misunderstood, sorry. As mentioned, if filming the drone it usually is pretty nearby so its not difficult at all. Flying without the aid of the phones screen is a fun challenge. I normally fly around a deserted rugby field and set myself various goals such as under the cross bar, between the poles both ends of the field etc. Never been off target in so far as hitting anything but , having no warning, miscalculated battery life once. Drone auto returned to home safely. It is a bit more demanding but for me a whole lot of fun.

Misunderstood, sorry. As
Cool.
There is one thing, brought to mind by your mentioning the low battery RTH, assuming the phone has not been connect at all during the current switch on, are the settings set for the previous 'phone attached' flight appropriate for the current flight.
This has caught me out 'even' with phone connected flights. I normally to change RTH height etc. with each intended flight/location but I have found that if the preceding flight was some time ago and, that during that flight I was experimenting with something 'odd', I have occasionally forgotten to reset "odd" to something appropriate.

Trying to get the subject centered onscreen is often difficult. Easier to hold the camera at arms length to keep subject in normal vision. Works with action shots too and pictures are more centered than possible with the small screen. Good luck, have fun.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa