DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just can't decide

Howdeedoodee

Reactions
Had a Mavic for a year but need a bigger drone due to opening opportunities but just can't bloody decide.
There's a big ask for help at the end of this story but here goes the details.
My mavic setup
Mavic pro
DJI Goggles
Ipad Mini
Titain drones 3000mw antenna booster (good for 10km as tested on youtube against DBS mods antenna)
I'm a builder and have been using the mavic to inspect roofs etc to save us putting ladders and scaffold up, also save's us climbing over wet roofs which can take a week to dry out in winter months even though might not of rained for a week.
There's just a few of my video's here on my youtube channel as i dont really post many
john richardson
I've been helping out the fire service and they've asked me to possible freelance for them.
I've also taken some video for the local TV news channel and they may use me for other stuff.
I Also do dozens of roof surveys for buildings i maintain under contract, currently about 500 residential and commercial.
I don't charge for the roof surveys so i don't directly benefit financially for this aspect of the work....This is so i can operate under Data, development, and display rules as set out by CAA (UK) i also have 25 million insurance through the BMFA for this.
Thing is i get a hunch that this is going to get bigger and bigger because Commercial agents, estate agents both commercial and domestic homes as well as home owners feel more comfortable with a builder surveying their roof than someone with a bit of drone experience looking to earn a bit of money.
Below is what i roughly came up with as a flyer heading/ introduction which will have various artwork and photo's.

Note: This is all just up in the wind so to speak and i know nothing in life is guaranteed but i keep on hearing that the drone industry over then next 5-10 years is going to be a multi-billion pound industry in the UK(video on youtube of the CAA saying this)
I know its already hit the USA but us brit's are always behind in embracing new technologies

So here's what i came up with so far for a possible future venture on the side.

Hello and welcome to Drone survey UK

We have been involved in the commercial and domestic building industry for the last 35 years as a builder so understand the real nuts and bolts of the construction industry.

We have additionally now moved into the Drone survey industry and will undertake surveys of all kinds involving building structures both commercial and domestic.

We know ourselves that using a drone to inspect buildings is a huge saving by not having to pay men to go up on Ladders and scaffold to inspect roofs on buildings, however we feel the most important aspect is neutralizing the risk involved in sending personnel into hazardous situations therefore reducing health and safety issues to near zero.

All that is required is a brief explaination of what you would like us to video and an address with postcode, we will then undertake some location investigation through google maps and google street then get back to you to confirm the location of the survey is safe to undertake.

Once the Survey is complete we will forward the 4k Ultra high definition video and 20mp photographic stills to you for viewing.

Because of our vast experience working in construction for the last 35 years alongside structural engineers, surveyors and local planning authorities we can give a very broad explanation of what defects the building has, its cause and rectification works required with approximate costs.

We feel that this level of information supplied as part of our drone survey is unique compared to other Drone operators.

We are currently in discussions with the Major insurance companies as they are well aware that builders will often over value insurance works if they are not entirely sure of what involved from standing at ground level, this in turn can see insurance companies authorizing larger payments than necessary as they cannot disprove what the builders are quoting for..... In the last 25 years I've never seen a loss adjuster go up a roof on a huge long Ladder.

Having a drone survey undertaken can provide the insurance companies with a clear picture of what’s required for cross referencing quotations.

We are fully licensed by the Civil Aviation authority In the UK and have drone insurance to 25 million per claim.
End:

Obviously we will be fully licensed upon starting up full time.

So the question is what do i purchase because to be honest a Mavic looks too Much like a kids toy and is a bit embarrassing when i help out the Fire service or TV news channels as they often meet with me, same for other clients.
The phantom again looks too toyish (approx £1500)
The new yuneec typoon h pro plus is coming out in a month or two (approximately £1600) it will now be on a par with a phantom camera wise but looks loads more professional than the phantom, however i think its still lacking only having front avoidance sensors (important when flying around buildings with chimneys everywhere)
The typhoon doesn't have mapping like you can with the phantom.
The typoon h plus has a brighter display, can fly in up to 40mph winds (i've had plenty of times when i need to film in wind)
The screen is only 720p unlike an ipad air which is a ridiculous 324 pixels per inch (best resolution you can get on a tablet) (would i hate the 7" size and low resolution)
Then there's the Typoon h520 (approx £2500) its got mapping, better controller,stronger machine, orange and looks like for Building site use...however doesn't have the brighter screen, doesn't have avoidance and a few other things.
You can get different camera's, even thermal imaging for h520
Then there's the inspire 2 which does all of the above pretty much but its £6000 with a X5s camera..and to be honest if your getting an inspire 2 you'd have to have the x5 camera at least.
There's the inspire 1 but the inspire 2 is so much more of a machine i don't think i would want to go for that.
The inspire is top money and if it didn't work out i wouldn't want a £6000 asset sitting on the shelf or losing £1000-£1500 if i sold it.
The ideal machine i think would be a typoon H plus with six point avoidance..even vertical sensors, the controller to have a 10" HD screen, high ppi with high brightness, plus full mapping.
That controller is so big i think they could easily squeeze a 10" screen in it.
The typoon h plus is approx £1500 but i would pay up to £2000 for the perfect machine.
So...even after spending weeks mulling over what to get i still cant decide.....should i wait till summer to see what DJI come out with? will the phantom 5 look more professional and less toy'ish
I appreciate any help and comments in making a decision.
Regards
John the builder.

Tags​

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member