DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

just found why my 4k is jerky

Grazuncle

Reactions
I thought I had purchased a high speed Sandisk SDXC.. till I just discovered the the write speed is 90Mbs and not just the headline read speed (160mbs) :( I even lowered the fps but it still doesn't help with Jerky capture (I did try the footage on my fast pc and it is still the same. (the footage to the phone cache is low res but not jerky at all)

I have since seen this advertised: SanDisk Extreme Pro, Class 10 U3, 275MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write Performance microSDXC Memory Card.. However is 100mbs write still only just on the edge of acceptable for the Mini 2at 4K?

Any recommendations please?

Thanks very much

Interesting since I got the Sandisk Extreme card that has 90mbs write speed and haven't experienced any jerky 4K recordings. Sandisk SDSQXA1-256G-GN6MA specifically.

Reactions: tlswift58
I have stupidly thrown the packaging away... I'm not exactly sure of the version. The details on the website says it is only rated as 90mbs write which I'm told is not fast enough?

I'll bow to more experienced users views

Last edited:
I thought I had purchased a high speed Sandisk SDXC.. till I just discovered the the write speed is 90Mbs and not just the headline read speed (160mbs) :( I even lowered the fps but it still doesn't help with Jerky capture (I did try the footage on my fast pc and it is still the same. (the footage to the phone cache is low res but not jerky at all)

I have since seen this advertised: SanDisk Extreme Pro, Class 10 U3, 275MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write Performance microSDXC Memory Card.. However is 100mbs write still only just on the edge of acceptable for the Mini 2at 4K?

Thanks very much
It is not a card issue. Mbps is not MB/s. DJI's current line of consumer drones are only able to write data to the memory card at a maximum speed of 120 Mbps (or 15 MB/s). So, you don't need to spend extra money on buying the fastest memory card on the market for the purposes of taking photos and recording video with your drone. Any 30 MB/s write speed card will do.

For smoother, less jerky video footage, you need a higher frame rate, not a lower one. Slow down your turns, increase your frame rate to 60 or 120fps by lowering video resolution, or use an ND filter to create motion blur between the video frames that will get rid of the jerkiness.

For more on the above, see:

I have stupidly thrown the packaging away... I'm not exactly sure of the version. The details on the website says it is only rated as 90mbs write which I'm told is not fast enough?

I'll bow to more experienced users views
I'm using this card, which was suggested for the Mini 2, but upon looking at the specs it's only 30MBs. Although I'm not having any issues shooting or viewing 4k 30p.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I'm using this card, which was suggested for the Mini 2, but upon looking at the specs it's only 30MBs. Although I'm not having any issues shooting or viewing 4k 30p.
Exactly! Any card above 15MBs, such as 30MBs, is more than adequate for 4K at 120mbps. 90MBs is overkill, but does allow faster transfer to the computer later. Jerkiness in the video recording or playback is not a card speed problem at anything above 15 MBps. See above. Could also a playback problem, if the computer hardware can't handle 4K playback at 120 mbps.

Last edited:
Exactly! Any card above 15MBs, such as 30MBs, is more than adequate for 4K at 120mbps. 90MBs is overkill, but does allow faster transfer to the computer later.
Good to know. The fact that upper or lower case is the difference between megaBIT and megaBYTE seems to have more than a few people confused.

Good to know. The fact that upper or lower case is the difference between megaBIT and megaBYTE seems to have more than a few people confused.
Indeed! It's a factor of 8, as every BIT consists of 8 BYTES! Internet speeds are also quoted in megabytes because 100 mbps sounds a lot faster than 11.5 MBps!

U3 or V30

These are the only things that matter on the card. The “up to” speeds are just marketing BS. The U3 and V30 both mean mean the minimum write speed is 30MBps. The minimum is all that matters

Reactions: Thomas B
well.. (hides head in shame)... presumption and bad YT advice is a terrible thing and i have learned this today.

I improved the playback of the 4k footage by bypassing my USB3 hub and USB3 card reader by putting the microsd card into a plain USB (standard USB - only thing i have presently) thumb sized reader directly into a USB 3 slot on my 8 core i5 desktop pc (one year old) it played a lot better although still froze and jumped.. (not exactly jerky as my thread, perhaps misleadingly) indicated.. I'm now guessing this is a playback issue and not a recording issue.

So i got out my Lenovo Yoga 520 convertible laptop (2 yr old) with lowly Pentium 4415U cpu and plugged the microsd to SD card adapter into its built in slot and the thing runs smooth as butter! no jerky playback at 25 fps in bright sunlight and no ND filters.

To say I'm shocked is an understatement! I have ordered a USB3 microsd card adapter in the meantime but now i have to figure out what to upgrade in my pc to handle this 4k footage better..

ps 2.7k is fine as it is in my pc

Indeed! It's a factor of 8, as every BIT consists of 8 BYTES! Internet speeds are also quoted in megabytes because 100 mbps sounds a lot faster than 11.5 MBps!
Actually, GadgetGuy, I believe every byte is composed of 8 bits. A megabyte (MB) is 8 times the size of a megabit (Mb). A capital B is the byte and the lowercase b is the bit. It is confusing I will admit.

well.. (hides head in shame)... presumption and bad YT advice is a terrible thing and i have learned this today.

I improved the playback of the 4k footage by bypassing my USB3 hub and USB3 card reader by putting the microsd card into a plain USB (standard USB - only thing i have presently) thumb sized reader directly into a USB 3 slot on my 8 core i5 desktop pc (one year old) it played a lot better although still froze and jumped.. (not exactly jerky as my thread, perhaps misleadingly) indicated.. I'm now guessing this is a playback issue and not a recording issue.

So i got out my Lenovo Yoga 520 convertible laptop (2 yr old) with lowly Pentium 4415U cpu and plugged the microsd to SD card adapter into its built in slot and the thing runs smooth as butter! no jerky playback at 25 fps in bright sunlight and no ND filters.

To say I'm shocked is an understatement! I have ordered a USB3 microsd card adapter in the meantime but now i have to figure out what to upgrade in my pc to handle this 4k footage better..

Can't you just copy the video to the internal hard drive and play it from there?

Can't you just copy the video to the internal hard drive and play it from there?
As a corporate video lead, editing or doing anything from the card is always going to be a bottle neck. I use an external SSD dock from Atomos to usb-c to copy all my files onto which allows super high speed access. That being said it’s not the most affordable setup.
Still advise to copy the files to your laptop HDD(or internal SSD)and edit from there.

This is just my opinion and how I run my workflow. ;0)

Edit: those Samsung T drives are amazing and fast too.

Thanks very much
I use a lexar 667x A2 U3 v30 128gb card in my evo 2 8k. Works fine. I think the U3 label is most important regarding read write speeds. I put it in a usb 3 adapter for preview and I get no lag in the video, just takes longer to load. If I like it then I transfer it to a fast external hard drive or my internal drive.

Reactions: Grazuncle
I had tried that, direct off the internal SSD and little improvement over straight from the card. The diminutive CPU laptop plays straight off the microsd.. Embarrassing..

I'm not totally sure an upgraded graphics card is going to fix the play back either despite the pc only being a one yr old i5 with fast Ghz CPU

Why not take the files OFF the video card and put them in a folder on the PC hardrive? That way you BYPASS all the systems like USB / etc. and are running directly from the PC's main components. Due your viewing / editing / etc on the PC harddrive. Then, IF you need to move them back to the SD card or USB drive - you have already completed files that are ready to rock.

Making it much harder than it need be. Remember the K I S S method. Keep It Simple S****d.

This card reader changed my life lol

Kingston USB3.0
Thanks for that.

I have a similar device (USB3) but unfortunately my graphics can't handle the data rather than the USB or even straight of the SSD.

If anyone has upgraded their graphics card and fixed their playback issue I'd be very interested in the make/model.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme