DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just got MA, very disappointed in range and noise.

Marc Hufnagel

Reactions
Just received a MA and first impressions are I'm rather disappointed.

I saw a few reviews on YT that actually mentioned that it was quieter than the MP and prior Phantoms.
It's not, it sounds almost as bad as a racing drone to me. My prior quads I fly around my neighborhood for several years and never a problem from anyone. This one I can see some trouble coming to be quiet honest - even my daughter said it was loud on the first flight and she mentioned about the YT videos as well.

The other concern is every darn one of the radio channels on the 2.4ghz range are showing them being cluttered with noise; to the point I start getting breakup even starting 300 feet out with VLOS.

The 5.8 channels are not available to me like the YT videos show on how to access them I use an IOS device

I really want to like this little guy, the noise is an issue but the wifi issues are even bigger for me.

I see the Mavic Air as a "travel drone". It's compact size make it particularly useful for tossing into a backpack and going somewhere with it. Residential neighborhoods are not where one would expect to be using it, so the WiFi interference one would expect in such locations shouldn't be an issue for the vast majority of the drone uses.

I saw a few reviews on YT that actually mentioned that it was quieter than the MP and prior Phantoms.
It's not, it sounds almost as bad as a racing drone to me. My prior quads I fly around my neighborhood for several years and never a problem from anyone. This one I can see some trouble coming to be quiet honest - even my daughter said it was loud on the first flight and she mentioned about the YT videos as well.

The other concern is every darn one of the radio channels on the 2.4ghz range are showing them being cluttered with noise; to the point I start getting breakup even starting 300 feet out with VLOS.

The 5.8 channels are not available to me like the YT videos show on how to access them I use an IOS device

I really want to like this little guy, the noise is an issue but the wifi issues are even bigger for me.
Exactly my thoughts and you, as well as many others, confirm them. True radio control is always preferable to wifi and will get only worse every day with consumer super wifi routers now available.
About noise; the Mavic Pro is really quite. The platinum even more but that's only the props. You can get a great deal now for the Pro and get some Platinum props, although you don't need them as the Pro is already VERY silent. Maybe you can exchange your Air for a Pro?

Reactions: Marc Hufnagel

I dont know how anyone could say the MA is quieter than the Pro. Its louder and noisier in every regard. The props spin a lot faster and their size makes the pitch higher, so in every way, its louder than the Pro and especially the Phantoms.

As for the range, I use it in my suburban neighborhood all the time. I do suggest using 5.8Ghz for more congested areas. The reason you dont see 5.8Ghz available is becuase your not connected to a 5.8Ghz network. The Air sees connection to whatever network you are currently using, I leave it on channel 170 all the time for everything, and it seems to work for me. Also, did you make sure to extend the front landing gear? those are antennas as well. I routinely get 3,000+ feet in suburban areas, and have a video fo me going over 4,000 feet away over the city with no noticeable loss of wifi signal.

As noted on a ton of threads here, there is a bug in the current DJI app for IOS which is significantly limiting your range as you are not in FCC mode (if in the US) and probably not in CE mode if that is the proper one. If you can borrow and Android device for 5 minutes and connect it, it will fix the region, and then you can go back to the iOS device. The app for IOS should be fixed shortly, as rumors are early May.

Don't give upon the range yet, test it when you can get it into the proper region.

As noted on another post a few posts down, DB test have it really close to the sound level of the Pro with the standard props (some have it a tiny bit louder, some a tiny bit quieter) but it is higher pitched, which is more noticeable to your ears. Mine is way quieter than my Phantom though, and I'm thankful for that.

loving what you did there :D

I'm very impressed with my MA, the noise doesn't seem substantially worse than my P3A and I have had very good range out of it, even in congested areas.

Always take reviews with a grain of salt. Many reviewers are paid, so won't say anything negative about the product. Many others who aren't paid, probably want to be paid, so they won't say anything negative either.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Exactly my thoughts and you, as well as many others, confirm them. True radio control is always preferable to wifi and will get only worse every day with consumer super wifi routers now available.
What is your definition of "true radio control?"

Mike

I almost ordered the MA on release because of its size until I realised the range problem. Nowhere near my Mavic Pro. And YouTube videos showed it to be incredibly noisy. Plus time in the air fails in comparison to the MP
The Mavic Pro is small enough to travel with ,so why choose the Air?

I almost ordered the MA on release because of its size until I realised the range problem. Nowhere near my Mavic Pro. And YouTube videos showed it to be incredibly noisy. Plus time in the air fails in comparison to the MP

The range is just simply not an issue if you are not in the heart of a city and aren't experiencing the region bug - particularly in FCC mode. It does not go as far as the Pro, but the number of times I need to go out past a mile and a half pales in comparison to the number of times I wouldn't have the drone otherwise.

The Pro is a fabulous drone. But you can't stick it in a jacket pocket (or I can ask my wife to drop it in her purse) and walk around all day. If you aren't looking to do that, get the Pro. If you are, get the Air. Couple of neat features of the Air are bonus (advanced obstacle avoidance, rear sensors, etc.) but don't make or break it for me.

I have a P3A if I really need range, but it doesn't have the battery life of the Pro. Ideally, I would have a Pro Platinum for distance and Air for normal usage, but 2 is enough....for now.

Oh yeah, an the Air has higher resolution on the Panos if that's your thing. This is from user "A CW" on the DJI forums, straight off the SD card of the drone. He (she?) posted a few others there. States he has and loves his Pro Platinum, but panos and images are better than from the Air.

Either way, what is great is that there are so many really good choices you can find what works best for you. If you prefer flight time and distance, get a Pro, if you prefer a smaller size and some images that look like this, get the Air.

130807x7a6pw7c7axscaxa.jpeg

The Air is still better for me: more compact, better data rate for video, and a newer design. And less $.

Always take reviews with a grain of salt. Many reviewers are paid, so won't say anything negative about the product. Many others who aren't paid, probably want to be paid, so they won't say anything negative either.

Oh I understand all about 'reviews' but until you can get your hands on a unit all you can do is gather info from as many as possible and see video in them if you can. I did find a couple of mentions about it being quieter, but darn it I didn't find the ones talking about it being louder until I had already brought one home. I'm flying in a smaller town in Southern Illinois with a normal residential population. No large buildings just lots of single-family dwellings.

I know there are lots of wireless home networks as all the lower channels are full of noise and I'm constantly bombarded with 'signal interference' warnings and the like. I don't have access to any android units to test range and am just going to hope that DJI pops out a fix to the IOS bug that is keeping the upper channels from being available.

As far as the noise, if I were flying in a rural area I wouldn't be at a point of problem here but since it is all residential neighborhoods it is a problem. I've been flying for over 3 years from my front steps and a couple of parks in the area and I'm sure if I had been flying the MA I would have had a reason to meet the local police department long before now. As it is with a MP I've never had a comment and routinely fly while the neighbors are out in their yards with never an issue.

If the fix comes out before my return window is up I'll try it and see but right now I'm most likely returning it. I do want to like it but being used to the MP I don't see in the current state how I can justify to myself keeping it.

We shall see.

I had the choice of the air or pro. The newer tech and size sold me. Couldn’t ask for more.

I too like the size as well but I had to call the Ocusync a 'better' tech not so much 'newer'. I'm being held back by two things, noise and range. Waiting for the IOS fix to the DJI software.

The new DJIGo app is out, and should be fixed, although there is a user on here reporting it didn't change anything for him. Update the app and see what you get.

That said, seems like a really good deal on the Platinum.

Lol at acting like the air is louder than a Harley or something. Don't be over dramatic, it's not that loud. I've flown mine all around my neighbor hood and above a golf course, nobody's complained and the golfers didn't even look up. Sorry you're disappointed in the range, it's wifi so I'm not sure what you expected. I've had mine out over a mile and half away. Flying a drone is a lot like skin diving. You might be able to dive to 50 ft depth but you're not going to be able to hang out for very long. If you need more range and better flying time... spend more money.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser