DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just got my MA2

PVilardi

Reactions
Well, the Mini turned out to be a gateway drug. My Mavic air 2 came in last night and after charging the batteries and updating the firmware was ready to fly today but the weather was not cooperating. I finally got a little window to fly around lunchtime at work and did a quick test flight. I have to say I am impressed! wind speed was a sustained 16mph with 30mph gusts. The drone handled it well. Not that I am going to make a habit out of flying in poor weather conditions but it's good to know the MA2 handled it. Hopefully I will have some better weather over the weekend to try some video. Quick question. Which mode do you think is best for obstacle avoidance Brake or Bypass?

Enjoy your new beast !!! Air2/2S are really nice drones.

I believe it defaults to brake, and I’ve flown many flights that way, but lately I’ve set it to bypass when I remember to change it. It hasn’t made any difference yet. Mainly I’m big on keeping VLOS with the drone and I know the height of my trees when flying. I add about a 30 ft buffer on to that. You’ll soon find yourself noticing power lines and objects around prospective flying areas too. If setting up for any kind of higher speed fly-by, I do a low speed check first. An original Mini was my first drone too and I won’t be parting with it any time soon.

I believe it defaults to brake, and I’ve flown many flights that way, but lately I’ve set it to bypass when I remember to change it. It hasn’t made any difference yet. Mainly I’m big on keeping VLOS with the drone and I know the height of my trees when flying. I add about a 30 ft buffer on to that. You’ll soon find yourself noticing power lines and objects around prospective flying areas too. If setting up for any kind of higher speed fly-by, I do a low speed check first. An original Mini was my first drone too and I won’t be parting with it any time soon.
Thanks! That clears it up a bit.

Reactions: Rchawks
Only an opinion, but BYPASS is hands down the best all-around APAS mode. Also, be very careful with the APAS icon on the touch screen. It will change mode on you and if you aren't careful and have an LOS event and the mode was changed to BRAKE, your drone will sit out there waiting until the battery runs out.

Only an opinion, but BYPASS is hands down the best all-around APAS mode. Also, be very careful with the APAS icon on the touch screen. It will change mode on you and if you aren't careful and have an LOS event and the mode was changed to BRAKE, your drone will sit out there waiting until the battery runs out.
I always fly with Brake mode, much more reliable, the yaw movements are smoother, and the drone movement is much, much smoother. Only use Bypass when in complex environments like forests, or when using Active Track.

Looks like today is going to be a good day to fly. Have the day off so I'm going to see if I can get some video. Thanks for all the great information!

My Air 2 hasn't exhibited this "jumpy" bug. So BYPASS is my choice because I want the drone to find its way home if I ever get into a LOS situation.

Reactions: PVilardi
First flight around the yard. Trying to get a feel for it. It's completely different from flying the Mini. I found the MA2 to be very responsive and way easier to fly. The video is just a rough first try.

Reactions: Pallidin
Well, the Mini turned out to be a gateway drug. My Mavic air 2 came in last night and after charging the batteries and updating the firmware was ready to fly today but the weather was not cooperating. I finally got a little window to fly around lunchtime at work and did a quick test flight. I have to say I am impressed! wind speed was a sustained 16mph with 30mph gusts. The drone handled it well. Not that I am going to make a habit out of flying in poor weather conditions but it's good to know the MA2 handled it. Hopefully I will have some better weather over the weekend to try some video. Quick question. Which mode do you think is best for obstacle avoidance Brake or Bypass?
I also own one, and I always have bypass on. Happy flying.

I also have a MA2, and it is a great airframe. Very stable and is relatively easy to fly. I am using a Samsung A7 tablet with a sun hood. Much better than using my cellphone. Congratulations on your purchase. It is definitely worth it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu