DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just joined tonight and have a ? about flying inside

Aerialman

Reactions
I've read a lot of dji info & posts about the Mavic but I don't find a lot (any info) on flying inside. I'm certified
and own a small UAS business and have an opportunity to take on doing virtual tours for real estate companies. I'm thinking that the AIR should be the perfect UAV for that type of work but would really like to hear from pilots with AIR drones to give me their opinions. Specifically how are VTs done now and what would be the best way to approach doing them. I've heard that some pilots use a handheld video device and that they work well but would they be better than a AIR?? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks for your time and help. Aerialman

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopters.
Enjoy! Thumbswayup
*MAVIC PRO/PLATINUM MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0-.pdf
*MAVIC AIR MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic Air/20180213/Mavic Air User Manual_v1.2.pdf
*GO 4 APP MANUAL: DJI Go 4 Manual

If this is work that can be done with a handheld or pole mounted camera I would suggest a DJI Osmo gimbal camera. It uses the Go app and has a lot of flexibility. Since it is on a gimbal you get the same buttery smooth video. At only $130 the DJI Osmo Mobile 2 combined with your smartphone gives you great video and an extension pole gets you up high. If you need to do a lot of footage from a pole look into the Osmo+ which has its own camera and uses your smartphone as a monitor.

https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-mobile-2

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 10.27.43 PM✨.png

The drone needs to be specifically set for flying inside, and loss of GPS signal in the building means that it will not be stable. Unless it is an extremely tall ceiling, a gimbal will be much better. Even with a tall ceiling, you could mount the gimbal on a stick.

Reactions: ksmusa
I printed one out on my 3D printer. It works, but it is a bit awkward. The new low price of the Osmo Mobile makes it pretty desirable for the type of task he is looking to do. The battery life is something like 15 hours and you can even charge your phone from it, and it saves your Mavic batteries for flight.

Reactions: beanbubba
I printed one out on my 3D printer. It works, but it is a bit awkward. The new low price of the Osmo Mobile makes it pretty desirable for the type of task he is looking to do. The battery life is something like 15 hours and you can even charge your phone from it, and it saves your Mavic batteries for flight.

One other question is what has a better camera, an iPhone or the Mavic? At a half inch it's far, far larger than the iPhone.

One other question is what has a better camera, an iPhone or the Mavic? At a half inch it's far, far larger than the iPhone.
Keep in mind the glass and the software play a part too. Here is the answer to that question...

Mavic-Pro-vs-iPhone-X-Camera-Comparison.png

Those are for stills, right? Video might be closer.

The Mavic Pro uses a Sony IMX377 1/2.3 sensor and the iPhoneX uses an (I believe Sony CMOS) 1/2.0 sensor, so the sensor of the iPhone is bigger. But size isn't everything. The iPhone also uses a sophisticated processor that is specifically for the camera. I understand that the new Samsung sensor is impressive too.

But who needs a commercial UAV operator for that?
The OP has a UAV business. Walking around with a stabilised 'selfie stick' :rolleyes: and a smartphone anyone could use, would bring his clients to the idea to do it themselves next time. I did it a few times but that was back when the OSMO with Inspire1 X3 camera was still something that only Inspire1 pilots knew even existed.
But it is a better solution. The mavic would hop in and out of GPS mode randomly in most cases.

The Mavic Pro uses a Sony IMX377 1/2.3 sensor and the iPhoneX uses an (I believe Sony CMOS) 1/2.0 sensor, so the sensor of the iPhone is bigger. But size isn't everything. The iPhone also uses a sophisticated processor that is specifically for the camera. I understand that the new Samsung sensor is impressive too.
Yep the new Samsung S9 certainly is a game changer using dual shutter unlike a DSL with 1.7 and 2.2 aperture from memory.
Plus of course it's totally waterproof IP68 so you can go swimming in that indoor luxury pool

Had my Mavic Air flying through my house ...totally stable .
Does a pretty good job of using its visual sensors no GPS running of course.
Remember for GPS to function the Mavic Air needs to hook in on at least 12 satellites outside.
I found flying in the house the onboard warning states no GPS visual only fly with caution .
The only problem I would hasten to add the obstacle avoidance sensors will stop the Mavic in its tracks like 1.5m away from a wall then going through a doorway found it hard to identify the gape.
Would say switching off the obstacle avoidance would save a whole lot of time trying to work around the obstacle avoidance system .
In my case I was just happy putting up with a shuffling through doorways ...on a rainy day

I've read a lot of dji info & posts about the Mavic but I don't find a lot (any info) on flying inside.

The reason you don't find a lot of info about flying indoors is that most experienced pilots DON'T DO IT.

Most experienced pilots in this forum (from what I've read here in the past year and 1/2) have either never flown indoors, or they flew indoors ONCE, they crashed, and have never done it again.

Flying indoors is like having unprotected sex. CAN it be done without getting pregnant? Yes. But the risk is just too great for most intelligent people to try it. Do it frequently, and disaster will eventually catch up to you.

You simply can't control when the Mavic is going to slip into ATTI mode, and if it does and you're indoors, Bye Felicia!

That being said, please record ALL your indoor flights. The Internet just doesn't have enough good crash videos.

I have the Mavic pro and the spark, the spark would be my go to for inside
Flight. It’s as stable inside as it is outside. My cats hate the thing!

The reason you don't find a lot of info about flying indoors is that most experienced pilots DON'T DO IT.

Most experienced pilots in this forum (from what I've read here in the past year and 1/2) have either never flown indoors, or they flew indoors ONCE, they crashed, and have never done it again.

Flying indoors is like having unprotected sex. CAN it be done without getting pregnant? Yes. But the risk is just too great for most intelligent people to try it. Do it frequently, and disaster will eventually catch up to you.

You simply can't control when the Mavic is going to slip into ATTI mode, and if it does and you're indoors, Bye Felicia!

That being said, please record ALL your indoor flights. The Internet just doesn't have enough good crash videos.

Well, close... I flew inside twice, and crashed both times :) Never again for me.

trayboz is a wise man...

You just need more practice LOL. I fly inside with the guards on. I used to fly my little whoop drone all over the house without guards. I used to own a Phantom 4 and I flew it through my garage during construction. I flew in the garage door and out the window a few times. It wouldn't fit between the trusses or I would have flown up into the attic too!

practice, practice. practice

I have flown indoors for real-estate so if you are going to do it I offer these suggestions from my experience:
  • Don't even try it without prop guards.
  • Turn off all OA sensors.
  • Stay at least 12" from the ceiling. The props can suck the Mavic up to it if you get too close.
  • Anything light weight will be disturbed by the prop wash so you will need to stay away from drapes, plants, papers, etc. It will also kick up any dust or animal hair.
  • GPS will likely not function so you will be affected by any breeze, including that generated by the Mavic.
  • Keep the operator behind the Mavic, not only to keep out of the shot (watch out for reflections) but the left/right stick movements will match the Mavic's movements.
  • It will be noisy.
  • Make sure you are insured to cover any damage.
Unless you need to shoot from a high angle, a gimbal stabilized camera would be a better option (the Mavic folded with props off could do) for indoor shots.

Reactions: MrsTreat
i have been flying indoor since i bought it yesterday. i have to go pretty far to fly it, i live near to border guard.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007