DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just passed my Part 107 test. Here are my thoughts.

dmcgrew

Reactions
I passed with a 90%.

First thought.. it was a bit more difficult than I expected it to be.

From everything I read sectional charts were a big portion of the test. This is correct, however, the questions are pretty different than the practice test questions that are on sites like 3DR. Be prepared to know sectional charts really, really well. If you know this stuff at the very least I believe you would pass the test.

There were some random questions that asked you what the effects of caffeine, antihistamines, etc. Those were totally unexpected but the answers were pretty obvious.

I was really surprised how little weather related questions were on the test. I only had 1 question about a METAR and 1 TAF. The questions for those were really easy, just identifying wind in the TAF and the time the METAR report was valid from. Other than that I think the only other weather related question I had was about wind sheer occurring at any altitude. Oh, there was a question about density altitude, but it was worded in a different way than I ever saw. It basically said if the temperate at sea level is higher than the standard 59 degrees how would it effect performance.

There were 0 questions about latitude/longitude and 0 questions about clouds or stable air characteristics.

There was a question about buying a UA in a foreign country and whether or not you had to register it in the US, deregister it in the other country.. no idea what that answer is.

I’d say 90% of the test was charts and aircraft performance.

Congratulations Thumbswayup
Good feedback. Invaluable information for folks looking to get their 107.

Last edited:
Congratulations. I used a variety of resources from the web to cover all my bases, but also found unexpected questions including one on the new requirements for marking your drone.

Reactions: Rich55
Oh.. just to add.. I didn’t pay for any part 107 educational services. I did all of my learning on YouTube. Tony Northrup’s video was a huge help along with his study guide, so was the 3DR practice test. If there was anything I didn’t understand I just googled it. I spent about 3-4 weeks studying at my own pace.. just a couple hours a week.

I passed with a 90%.

From everything I read sectional charts were a big portion of the test. This is correct, however, the questions are pretty different than the practice test questions that are on sites like 3DR. Be prepared to know sectional charts really, really well. If you know this stuff at the very least I believe you would pass the test.

There were some random questions that asked you what the effects of caffeine, antihistamines, etc. Those were totally unexpected but the answers were pretty obvious.

I was really surprised how little weather related questions were on the test. I only had 1 question about a METAR and 1 TAF. The questions for those were really easy, just identifying wind in the TAF and the time the METAR report was valid from. Other than that I think the only other weather related question I had was about wind sheer occurring at any altitude. Oh, there was a question about density altitude, but it was worded in a different way than I ever saw. It basically said if the temperate at sea level is higher than the standard 59 degrees how would it effect performance.

There were 0 questions about latitude/longitude and 0 questions about clouds or stable air characteristics.

There was a question about buying a UA in a foreign country and whether or not you had to register it in the US, deregister it in the other country.. no idea what that answer is.

That was my experience as well, and the same score. Can't underestimate the importance of sectionals. I was disappointed there were not as many weather questions as I knew that info really well.

You forgot to mention that when in doubt the answer is Pilot In Command.

I passed with a 90%.

Thank you for posting this info. I am currently studying for my 107. Unfortunately I am not an average or above student, I have several hours for the last three weeks and no where close to ready for test.

I took my test on Friday....must have had the same test because I recognize the questions you cited and concur about the content. I used Remotepilot101.com to give me a systematic approach to the content, then I supplemented with 3DR and Dronelaunchacademy right before my test. I did pretty well so I’m attributing my success to those materials. Now I wait for the FAA to get my score uploaded. Good luck to you guys prepping for the test.

I passed with a 90%.

Congratulations! The information you have provided is very helpful as well. Thank you.

Thank you for sharing your experience, the information is very helpful. I have been taking a course from Udemy and I'm about 75% through it. It's a very good course, and not expensive at all. On the Udemy website you can see they have dozens of courses on drone related topics. Everything from starting your own business to in depth drone photography (which I'm also taking). Congrats on the 107, and again thanks for sharing your experience.

Reactions: Live LA
Thanks for the info. I've been taking the kingschools.com practice tests and I consistently score in the low to mid 90s. The part that worried me the most early on was the charts even though I was getting them right. I went and found info on reading them so now I feel like that is the easy part. The mistakes I are most often related to the names the types of clouds. I'm planning to take the test in the next week or two.

Good luck! Please post and share your experience ant thoughts on the exam. I'm not sure when I will take it, but any insight is helpful.

For anyone considering taking the exam, I do strongly suggest studying for the exam, because understanding what could possibly be at stake is important. But, consider whether or not taking the exam will really be worth the study fees (if applicable), and the exam administration cost of $150.

Do you genuinely believe revenue opportunities are available to you? If so, go for it.

I say this because I took the exam solely to have automatic authorization for LAANC through Airmap. It's been a year, and, in my locale, only one small geographical area is governed by LAANC. Theoretically, more area will be covered by the end of 2019, but I'm not holding my breath. Until the area is expanded greatly, I continue to fly in class G airspace, which requires no authorization by a control tower, etc..So, other than understanding airspace, and an enhanced understanding of the FAA rules/laws, which can be garnered from study alone, the license has been of no value.

For anyone who might argue that without a revenue opportunity flying is under 336 (currently), and not 107, I upload my footage to stock footage houses with the intent to sell, so I argue 107

Last edited:
I believe at least studying for the 107 would be beneficial for all drone operators. Just because you’re only flying for fun, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have a solid understanding of how a drone interacts with airspace and the public. I did YouTube and DroneLaunchAcademy. I didn’t want to waste my $150, and I did want to be responsible with my drone so as not to negatively impact the drone community. Seems like a lot of the drone press is negative. I scored a 97. Most of the comments about charts was true for me too. Had a random runway marker sign question I missed. I don’t plan on flying down any major airport runways though.

The main reason I want the 107 is for a few flights which would violate the hobby rules. At a minimum I am definitely more comfortable now that I understand the different types of airspace and can read that information from the charts.

I don’t plan on flying down any major airport runways though.

I'm waiting for the first chance I can pop on the SFO frequency and announce my desire to land my Air on 28L. I'll be inbound on the glide scope at 25 mph with a 747 with full flaps trying to slow down behind me. He'd better watch out for my tip vortex.

Reactions: W2EJ
I'm waiting for the first chance I can pop on the SFO frequency and announce my desire to land my Air on 28L. I'll be inbound on the glide scope at 25 mph with a 747 with full flaps trying to slow down behind me. He'd better watch out for my tip vortex.

I am convinced that within 5 years 107 will be mandatory for any and all drone operators. As drones fill the skies more and more, increased incidents will occur. The 107 will discourage many of the casual less than responsible people from droning. It will help to clean up a sport/occupation and validate those of us who enjoy, prosper from flying drones.

I am convinced that within 5 years 107 will be mandatory for any and all drone operators. As drones fill the skies more and more, increased incidents will occur. The 107 will discourage many of the casual less than responsible people from droning. It will help to clean up a sport/occupation and validate those of us who enjoy, prosper from flying drones.
Unless it is a requirement to have 107 in order to purchase a drone it won’t make much difference I fear, based on posts here. There is also the aftermarket from individuals in used drones to consider....Same as buying a gun from the wantads or your neighbor and not registering.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User