DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just purchased iPad Mini 4 to compliment my Mavic Pro Platinum and Spark...hope no regrets

nutsnbolts

Reactions
I know that some lean towards the cellular version and some settled with wifi version. Both owners are happy with either based on their use. Honestly, I don't plan to use active track on the iPad mini 4 and if I do need to use active track then I can use my Wunderphone Ascend or my S7/Note 3.

Honestly, I just don't think I will be using those features either way. I wanted a larger screen size without going to large and the iPad 2017 9.7 is just too large and heavier for my use. I wanted to keep myself more portable although I'm adding another device.

I hope I'm not disappointed.

Reactions: vertrider
I switched to iPad Mini 4 back in October (cellular 128gb version, used from eBay). It works great with Go 4 and with Litchi - many many flights on Spark and Mavic. The only thing it's not great for is screen recording. It does work (built in iOS 11.2 screen recording feature) but when recording, there are tiny lags and I get the occasional warning about mobile device CPU being at 100%. It's so smooth otherwise though - it's pretty great.

Fly with a 16GB WiFi model.

No issues whatsoever, don't think you will regret it.

I'm also on the iPad Mini 4. Just due to the feedback from everyone.

While it does slot into the RC arms perfectly, I miss being able to easily use the sport button, but if you can't see the display you're not playing with sport mode anyway.

Anyone have a clever way of storing and traveling with the iPad?

The reason I got the Mini 4 instead of a new, larger, cheaper, iPad was because i did not like the iPad covering up the RC screen and control sticks. It fit into the jabs and was bigger then my phone. Thought about getting a newer "plus" phone, but my iPhone 6 was still giving me good service and I didn't like the idea of turning it to "airplane mode" while flying and not being able to get calls or texts, and I definitely did not like texts etc interrupting the GO4 app while flying. So still have my phone in my pocket, if needed, and a good screen to see where I am flying. I got an antiglare screen protector, helps cut the glare in bright sun. Also I have a screen hood, but seldom use it.
Za3Qi4vzQLem%uisLAvvzA_thumb_1216.jpg

I'm also considering an iPad mini.

Just curious, how does the "reset home point" work if you have the cellular iPad? Is there an icon you press? I'm just wondering if I want to spend the extra $ on a cellular version.

Thanks!

I switched to iPad Mini 4 back in October (cellular 128gb version, used from eBay). It works great with Go 4 and with Litchi - many many flights on Spark and Mavic. The only thing it's not great for is screen recording. It does work (built in iOS 11.2 screen recording feature) but when recording, there are tiny lags and I get the occasional warning about mobile device CPU being at 100%. It's so smooth otherwise though - it's pretty great.

Make sure your turn off video caching in dji go. It makes the pauses much worse due to 2 data streams being written to iPad storage. It will improve a lot with catching off, but still a few small pauses.

Make sure your turn off video caching in dji go. It makes the pauses much worse due to 2 data streams being written to iPad storage. It will improve a lot with catching off, but still a few small pauses.

Thanks for the tip - makes total sense. I just turned off caching and will test it out next time I fly.

Ipad Mini 4 WIFI only here and it's flawless. Super reliable. In fact it's never crashed once. I just wish the screen was brighter but it's acceptable if you can find a bit of shade. Might grab a sunshade for mine at some point. I notice one person says the tablet makes it difficult to access the sport mode switch. I like the extra layer of security of not switching it into sport mode accidentally :)!.

I use either an iphone 6, or an Ipad air full size. I use the ipad with a mount for the mavic controller. Both work without fail. Occasionally I get cpu at 100% if I have apps running in the background by accident. I love the giant screen, it does block the controller a bit, but everything you need to see on the controller is also on the dji app on the ipad. and you really dont need to see the sticks to fly.

"Honestly, I don't plan to use active track on the iPad mini 4 and if I do need to use active track then I can use my Wunderphone Ascend or my S7/Note 3."

Dedicate your iPad to your system -- keep it offline so that zero changes can be made to it unless they have your express approval. If your system is working well, never be an early adopter of any proposed "updates" to either the OS, the app or the firmware.

Caveat emptor!

Last edited:
Reactions: CyberNate
I was always 100% an android guy.... ..... until today. I now have the iPad mini 4 wifi and absolutely love it paired to the mavic. Dji most definitely favors Apple, this thing works flawless with the mavic compared to my s8+. The screen real estate and controller size combo is a perfect fit.

I had a hard time finding a mini 4 in stock locally at retail stores but did find many brand new in package on "Offer up" for 300-350.

Reactions: Nathan Hoover
I use my iPad Mini Wifi to fly all my DJI drones. From the P4, to P3P, P3S, Mavic Pro and Spark. It is truly versatile in many ways, I run the DJI GO app and Go App4 with it. Never had a problem logging on or flying my quads.

Good choice with Mini 4. I'm using an iPad Pro (9.7") all is working just fine. Just need to find a good sun shade that works with my Otterbox case.

I was considering buying a used Mini 4, just to dedicated to the MP. But I figured I've sunk enough coin a while back for the Pro. Might as well use it. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme