DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

just purchased pro need some info before i open box!

nicjo

Reactions
Morning members im sure these will be answered somewhere already but can you help?
Im waiting for my new pro to arrive..
  • plan to take out the care DJI refresh pack.. after year ends can i take another year out? i have seen two prices in uk £79-99 and £120-£130
  • When i start practice with drone and let it fly away from me am i best on return flight reversing back or having it face to me as the reverse control will freak me out? but want to get it right from day one..
  • I live in pretty built up area but say i want to go view my boat which is 2 mile away in the marina, there is buildings and some hills in the way will this be possible?
  • Also if i can do the above and i press the return home will it take into account all these obstacles..
  • If i send it 2 mile away and it losses signal can you still press return home ? and do you get a low signal warning so you can bottle it and return before full signal lost?
  • I plan to take skiing and follow me down slopes so which would be best program to use and can any give me what filters best on a ski slope?

Many thanks ...
nik

Hi while you are waiting may I suggest you download the Full Mavic manual as all you need to know is contained within it.

Mavic Pro– Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

As for you questions above the care refresh is a good idea if you are very new to drones and flying as it will cover the costs if you crash it however it will not cover you if you loose the drone.

Also in order to maintain good flight control you need to keep a clear line of sight to the Mavic so if you drop the drone down below a hill for example you will more than likely loose conecting to the drone.

Flying in built up areas will reduce your range as you will be in an area that has more interference so this will affect the Mavic in some way.

Last edited:
plan to take out the care DJI refresh pack.. after year ends can i take another year out?
No. You can find more details about DJI Care Refresh here.

When i start practice with drone and let it fly away from me am i best on return flight reversing back or having it face to me as the reverse control will freak me out?
Either would work. With practice, you'll be able to fly the Mavic when it's facing any position.

I live in pretty built up area but say i want to go view my boat which is 2 mile away in the marina, there is buildings and some hills in the way will this be possible?
There could be a lot of Wi-Fi interference in the area. You really won't know until you try to fly there. As for the buildings and hills, all will be fine as long as the buildings and hills do not come between the Mavic and the remote controller. That path must always be free of all obstacles.

Also if i can do the above and i press the return home will it take into account all these obstacles
The Mavic does have some intelligence built in to help it navigate around obstacles when flying back to the home point. I wouldn't recommend relying on it though since the automated flight modes are not perfect. Instead, make sure you have the proper RTH Altitude set in DJI GO. That way, your Mavic will ascend to a safe altitude before trying to fly back to the home point.

If i send it 2 mile away and it losses signal can you still press return home ?
No. Using the default settings in DJI GO, the Mavic will automatically return to the home point when the remote controller signal is lost.

do you get a low signal warning so you can bottle it and return before full signal lost?
Usually. There are cases where the signal could dropped instantly though (e.g. flying around a hill/building).

I plan to take skiing and follow me down slopes so which would be best program to use
ActiveTrack or Follow Me could be used. Personally, I'd have someone else fly the Mavic and film you. If you attempt to do this, there's likely nothing you'll be able to do if your Mavic does not perform as expected. And, you'll of course want to do this in a location where there are no other skiers nearby.

what filters best on a ski slope?
You can find a list of good filter brands to buy here.

Do not try and fly 2 miles away in a built up area, apart from breaking the CAA guidelines about VLOS, and possibly congested areas, there are numerous other risks, the obstacle avoidance probably will not detect overhead power lines and small tree branches.
You are very likely to lose signal in a built up area and then you will enter RTH, which is not without risk, it will fly a straight line back and may encounter obstacles that were not there on the outward leg.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MacPilot55