DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just Received My Mavic Drop Mechanism (Drop Maze)

Skcorsemaj

Reactions
On Thursday night I received my "drop maze". I ordered it on eBay with the hopes of pulling a fishing line.

Have any of you used this before? I tried multiple YouTube searches, but the only one that comes up is a video by the designer showing himself drop some keys with his Mavic.

If the weather calms down today I might try and take it to the field I fly in and practice dropping some keys or something before I work my way to flying over water with a dangling fishing line behind my Mavic.

Here is a picture so everyone knows what I'm talking about.
24dd829449092e33c2c9487794988bfc.jpg
79069ffaa7c9ef6b496a5c27f9984858.jpg

Reactions: Tinmania
I really dislike these devices that are way off CoG.

What's the procedure? bank left/right until the load falls off?

Yes that is correct^
Here is a video of the creator playing around with it.

On Thursday night I received my "drop maze". I ordered it on eBay with the hopes of pulling a fishing line.

Have any of you used this before? I tried multiple YouTube searches, but the only one that comes up is a video by the designer showing himself drop some keys with his Mavic.

If the weather calms down today I might try and take it to the field I fly in and practice dropping some keys or something before I work my way to flying over water with a dangling fishing line behind my Mavic.

Here is a picture so everyone knows what I'm talking about.
24dd829449092e33c2c9487794988bfc.jpg
79069ffaa7c9ef6b496a5c27f9984858.jpg
I have spoken with this guy over E Bay and he told me that he will work on one for just fishing as this one is not for fishing but dropping items. he will get back to me he said. he is floridathingexchange in e bay. i just messaged him again. he told me that he would try to put a modded landing gear that allows me to fly forward tension hook the line then when you are ready to drop you just would turn clockwise. lets see. you can message him to speed up the process as well :)

Last edited:
I have spoken with this guy over E Bay and he told me that he will work on one for just fishing as this one is not for fishing but dropping items. he will get back to me he said. he is floridathingexcahnge in e bay. i just messaged him again. he told me that he would try to put a modded landing gear that allows me to fly forward tension hook the line then when you are ready to drop you just would turn clockwise. lets see. you can message him to speed up the process as well :)

Not my area of interest. Have fun and get the big one.

I have it on good authority that if you say your Hail Mary's you're guaranteed to catch a fish. Know that reference? :cool:

I really dislike these devices that are way off CoG.

What's the procedure? bank left/right until the load falls off?
For dropping keys it may work fine in that location. But I'd like to carry and drop something weighing .25 lb, and I imagine this would throw off the CoG considerably. Hope someone will make one with a more CoG-minded design.

I love the design though, very clever.

I think stuff like this is a recipe for disaster. Risking your $1,000 drone to drop a lure? Go for it....

Reactions: Peel
Clever indeed. The issue on CoG is of course that there are the downward looking sensors. If you can live without those (I can usually - but they are on) then a proper CoG system could go on there. I'd bet the MP could handle .5 Lbs easily and 1 Lb in low wind conditions.

Ironically I just saw a report on TV about people using drones to drop contraband into jails with drones. I wonder if they're using something like this. There goes another place to fly.

Ironically I just saw a report on TV about people using drones to drop contraband into jails with drones. I wonder if they're using something like this. There goes another place to fly.
All jails and prisons are already blocked off as NFZ in DJI's GEO system for the US.

Reactions: Airtex
I think if there is one thing we as a group should be concerned about is these drop mechanisms. Its bad enough that people already think that we have 50x zoom lenses in our drones and we are spying on them from 200 ft up. If we have cases of people dropping stuff into crowds, stuff like Eggs or Ink balloons etc. and maybe something worst. It's all over for us as far as ever getting public support. Not to mention how big the NFZ list will get.

Rob

I think long before drones are made illegal, these drop mechanisms should be made illegal. Think about it: how much intentional damage can you do with a drone? At very best, you could badly injure or kill one person you aim to fly right into. That's not going to get drones banned since you can do the same thing with so many other things (rocks, bats, guns but don't let me go there...). And flying into somebody with a drone you will leave a clear trace tying it back to you. So this just is not a realistic concern. But here you have a mechanism to DROP something, potentially explosive or toxic, without leaving a trace. Not even thinking about unintentional damage, as flimsy as this particular mechanism looks, it could fail, and hurt somebody with the payload.

So I have nothing against the creator, as I'm sure he/she didn't have a bad intention, but I think it should be made illegal ASAP to fly drones with drop mechanisms, or their usage will sooner or later make our entire hobby illegal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robbyg
New technology is a double edged sword. There is the good aspect of it that improves our experiences and lives and then there is the down side of it where new technology is used for the bad. Comes down to who's hands the new technology is in(like guns), something we don't control. I expect that 99.99% of those on this forum are in the legit category with drone technology.

What I worry more about than anything else is "common sense" or lack thereof. With no age restrictions(maybe there are and I don't know about it) or practical means to enforce them for operating recreational drones it is the "lack of common sense" crowd(millions) that have the potential to bring more restrictions on us vs the purely sinister.

I hope common sense is still taught and role modeled in most homes.

I love innovation i.e. this drop capability and look forward to more. Thanks for sharing.

I can just see you hooking a 2 or 3lb Bass with that thing, your Mavic is going to go for a swim.

The drone isn't used to dangle the fishing lure in the water. Have you seen the tuna fishing video above? They reel the line out with the drone, to a spot where they can clearly see fish, and then they drop/release the lure into the water. At that point, the drone is completely separate, and used only to observe.

Reactions: buzzbuggy1970
The tuna video is actually using the drone to dangle the bait in the water. Unfortunately he had no sound when explaining how it worked, but it looks like he is using a soft plastic clip or something to hold the line and the force of the fish taking the bait pulls it off the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242