DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Just want to show love for the Zoom

TintedBlack23

Reactions
I started my passion for drones with the Mavic Air.. I bought it because I wanted a bit more than the Spark, but didn’t want to spend Mavic 2 or Mavic Pro money for that matter, before I fully embraced this new passion.

So.. I loved it.. I took it out on at least 50 flights in 2 weeks, fully enthralled in my new hobby. I had a great time, besides all of the weak transmission & RC lost errors. There were days it was just so inconsistent that I thought I had a lemon. My best flight was 17 mins and 1.1 miles long. As a dev/technologist, I know that actual speed differs from “company rated” speed. Still... I saw youtube videos with people totally ripping it and my lackluster success really started to bring rain clouds on my happiness.

UNTIL....

I took my Mavic Air back, and purchased the Zoom! I missed the size of the Mavic Air, but I wanted to welcome the increased range, flight time, and the plethora of cool accessories that came with the Mavic 2 series.

I’ve taken it out on a few flights and last night, I did what always felt was impossible. I took the Zoom out 16,575 feet or 3.1 miles, and then got home with 40%, with absolutely no drop outs. My total distance (after returning home on 40% and playing around close to me) was 38,094 feet or 7.2 miles. I did this in the same place I always took my Air, where I consistently had weak transmission issues around 2,000 feet or .37 miles. The M2Z floored my expectations!

A lot of these threads are full of issues, but I wanted to show my love for my drone. The Mavic 2 Zoom is a SWEET piece of gear, and getting it on sale for 1150 @ Best Buy after trading my Air back, was AWESOME. I’m in love, hope you love yours too!

Cheers

P.S. Screenshot of my longest distance flight with the new Zoom.

30FFF47C-1B21-4DAE-9E02-063BA893989D.jpeg

Yup i got mine for 1199$ 4 days ago.....and the fly more combo was 389$ on sale 100$ off so 285$ it was a nice deal...i see it went back up

Yup i got mine for 1199$ 4 days ago.....and the fly more combo was 389$ on sale 100$ off so 285$ it was a nice deal...i see it went back up

Sweet! Did you have another drone prior or is this your first? How do you like it so far?

The Mavic 2 is an amazing platform..

I have a Phantom 4. Even living in the country with no sources of interference, I can't get it to go much over a mile before the signal drops out. I did a range test with my M2 when I first got it. At 2.5 miles it was still going strong.

I never went further because I didn't have the courage :) I rarely fly more that 1/2 mile away.

Sweet! Did you have another drone prior or is this your first? How do you like it so far?
Oh man. ...lol i fly 700 size heli's love 3d...so love flying lets see i have had many drones going back to the blade 350 qx p4, p4pv2, spark, mavic air, mavic pro...etc. i love the zoom it is awesome yea it does have same size sensor as the mavic pro (og) but it is world different. This thing is the bees nees;)

Reactions: ff22
OP, may I ask what made you choose the zoom over the m2pro?

Hey man.. I had the mavic air because I wanted to buy a smaller/cheaper drone to see if I'm fully into the hobby. After 1 or two flights I was hooked, but my drone lacked the performance I saw out of better drones. Looking at the accessories I had to send back for the AIR, then seeing the ZOom on sale.. I figured it'd be a $400 difference with maybe an additional $200 in accessories and I'd be solid. I figured with that, A Mavic 2 Zoom @ 1150 + 200 accessories leaves me at 1350... still $150 cheaper than the Pro minus accessories. Fully done pro wouldve run maybe 1700-1800 and that was a tad out of my price range. The Zoom takes wonderful pictures for a non pro hobbyist like myself, and the added cost just wasn't of value to me.

Biggest Points:
- Almost 360 degree sensor protection
- 2x lossless zoom, so I dont have to fly into dangerous **** to get a shot
- Free gimbal movement regardless of drone direction (CLUTCH!)
- Hyperlapse
- Increased flight time vs Mavic Air
- More durable connection using Occusync 2.0
- More goggles functionality (got those refurbished and LOVE THEM)

Going from the AIR to the Mavic 2 Zoom.. no brainer. I couldn't justify the extra cash for the PRO, with it having a lot of the same stuff I outlined above, for $350 more. Because I wanted accessories and stuff, I'd rather have a kitted out Zoom than a kitted out Pro, where I'm paying closer to 2k.

Oh man. ...lol i fly 700 size heli's love 3d...so love flying lets see i have had many drones going back to the blade 350 qx p4, p4pv2, spark, mavic air, mavic pro...etc. i love the zoom it is awesome yea it does have same size sensor as the mavic pro (og) but it is world different. This thing is the bees nees;)

You're a pro brother! With all that insight and knowledge, glad to see you really respect the Zoom. I've flown my buddy's Mavic Pro (OG) and compared the shots to my Zoom.. no comparison. Same sensor but I def think the redesigned gimbal & the internals got a sweet upgrade. Its almost a night and day difference, but with that said the Mavic Pro still takes beautiful shots.

Thanks man! I was just out flying today it amazes me everytime i fly the zoom ...even in 20 mph wind leaning and fighting its just so stable, smooth rock solid pic....and yes like i sd might be same sensor size but def different internals because i can see a night and day difference!

Reactions: ff22
When I got the Zoom, I mistakenly thought that the Pro and the Zoom both had variable focal length lenses and the Zoom was a bit cheaper because it had the smaller sensor. (I had done quite a bit of research on the M2 but that was the only aspect that I got wrong).

I've flown drones with fixed focal length lenses for 4 years. (I flew a 3DR hexacopter equipped with a GoPro for two years and an original Phantom 4 for two more years after that). I've been satisifed with the stills and video they produced. Being somewhat frugal, I settled on the Zoom :)

The variable focal length of the Zoom has turned out to be a real treat. More than I ever expected.

It has 'canned options' that let you take 'Super Resolution' 48 Megapixel (8000 x 6000) stills of what you see on your tablet/phone and Dolly Zoom which produces an interesting background effect.

Apart from what's obvious, there are some additional advantages to the zoom that I've discovered.

When flying active track, if you get too far away and your subject gets too small, you lose the track. With the zoom you can fly farther away if necessary (say to avoid obstructions like wires and twigs). If that causes the subject to get too small, just zoom in and it's not small any more.

When circling a point of interest, you can change perspective by zooming in and out without having to fly closer and farther away. It's a handy convenience.

The horizon shot using the 4X (96mm) zoom available in movie mode at 1080P/30 (2X optical + 2X lossless digital) looks completley different than when using wide angle (24mm). For example, I'm in the country. There's a city 40 miles from me. At 96mm I can clearly see the skyline on the horizon. At 24mm I can barely see it. Same goes for other distant landmarks.

And finally.. The 4X zoom in 1080/30 movie mode makes Zoom a very capable spy drone. You can fly at 300+ feet (which is pretty well out of sight for someone not looking too closely) and still see in detail what's happening on the ground. This option is good for wildlife too. There's less chance of scaring it away.

Last edited:
When I got the Zoom, I mistakenly thought that the Pro and the Zoom both had variable focal length lenses and the Zoom was a bit cheaper because it had the smaller sensor. (I had done quite a bit of research on the M2 but that was the only aspect that I got wrong).

I've flown drones with fixed focal length lenses for 4 years. (I flew a 3DR hexacopter equipped with a GoPro for two years and an original Phantom 4 for two more years after that). I've been satisifed with the stills and video they produced. Being somewhat frugal, I settled on the Zoom :)

The variable focal length of the Zoom has turned out to be a real treat. More than I ever expected.

It has 'canned options' that let you take 'Super Resolution' 48 Megapixel (8000 x 6000) stills of what you see on your tablet/phone and Dolly Zoom which produces an interesting background effect.

Apart from what's obvious, there are some additional advantages to the zoom that I've discovered.

When flying active track, if you get too far away and your subject gets too small, you lose the track. With the zoom you can fly farther away if necessary (say to avoid obstructions like wires and twigs). If that causes the subject to get too small, just zoom in and it's not small any more.

When circling a point of interest, you can change perspective by zooming in and out without having to fly closer and farther away. It's a handy convenience.

The horizon shot using the 4X (96mm) zoom available in movie mode at 1080P/30 (2X optical + 2X lossless digital) looks completley different than when using wide angle (24mm). For example, I'm in the country. There's a city 40 miles from me. At 96mm I can clearly see the skyline on the horizon. At 24mm I can barely see it. Same goes for other distant landmarks.

And finally.. The 4X zoom in 1080/30 movie mode makes Zoom a very capable spy drone. You can fly at 300+ feet (which is pretty well out of sight for someone not looking too closely) and still see in detail what's happening on the ground. This option is good for wildlife too. There's less chance of scaring it away.
All very good points....i absolutely love the zoom....that 96mm is something else cant believe how detailed it stays

I just did 22,324ft one way ...so there and back 44,736ft ocusync 2.0 is awesome

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190210-193400.jpg
    Screenshot_20190210-193400.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 62
Nice story. Bad font color on the mobile app and if in USA, the height of 400 plus is against regulation.
If you do not know the rules it is best not to post. There is no altitude limitiation in the US. Use the search function to learn, it is like an encyclopdia for the misinformed.

Reactions: bonzo and Mike4884
Niiiice! Do you use Auto on your image transmission settings or do you choose a channel? Also do you keep it on HD mode?
Auto. And leave it in hd...that will change by itself when left in auto to normal as the signal degrades.....dont worry about the drone police ignore them. And if u guys have anything to say about mine, well i use spotters used every 3000 feet which is in vlos and walkie talkies

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22