DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Katana techniques and settings Q.

SGM

Reactions
I've read the Katana threads and haven't found the info I need so I thought I would post to general forum for anyone using the Katana.I purchased the katana and have had some luck with it as it's perfect for areas you cant fly, but not happy with the results (which I am certain are all user error).

My question(s)
-Has anyone found settings that work well for them with the katana i.e. sensitivity adjustments, pitch exp, start and stop buffers etc...
-Best camera settings.
-Techniques to help smooth out footage.

As with everyone, I spend a lot of time trying new settings and best techniques, but while my movements and speed are improving (some), the persistent issues seem to be with the best settings, and WiFi.

Last, before starting a shot, I focus, but the camera seems to go out of focus in the middle of a shot, I'm not sure why?

Appreciate any input and best practices anyone would like to share that has good luck with this awesome device.

Thanks all!

As a post note: I contacted Polar Pro and suggested putting a female screw end on the bottom clamp (as in the phone holder) for use with a tripod (would be great if you are in a location you cant fly but want to catch a sunrise/set), and a small tripod bolt on the top of the tightening screws to place other devices such as a recorder, lighting etc... we'll see.

I've read the Katana threads and haven't found the info I need so I thought I would post to general forum for anyone using the Katana.I purchased the katana and have had some luck with it as it's perfect for areas you cant fly, but not happy with the results (which I am certain are all user error).

My question(s)
-Has anyone found settings that work well for them with the katana i.e. sensitivity adjustments, pitch exp, start and stop buffers etc...
-Best camera settings.
-Techniques to help smooth out footage.

As with everyone, I spend a lot of time trying new settings and best techniques, but while my movements and speed are improving (some), the persistent issues seem to be with the best settings, and WiFi.

Last, before starting a shot, I focus, but the camera seems to go out of focus in the middle of a shot, I'm not sure why?

Appreciate any input and best practices anyone would like to share that has good luck with this awesome device.

Thanks all!

As a post note: I contacted Polar Pro and suggested putting a female screw end on the bottom clamp (as in the phone holder) for use with a tripod (would be great if you are in a location you cant fly but want to catch a sunrise/set), and a small tripod bolt on the top of the tightening screws to place other devices such as a recorder, lighting etc... we'll see.

I keep looking at the dang thing but haven't pulled the trigger... I'm afraid that just won't use it. Especially since I have a Karma grip. The tripod Idea is genius but I have the Polar Pro phone holder for the Mavic and it has 3 mounting holes on it. If the Katana has the same one, you could just use it right?

If I understand your question not having a carma or PP holder, the Katana has 2 bolts fir the Mavic clamp and one for the phone holder, actually 2 at the bottom for straight and angle,
My point is a couple of extended bolts on the clamp knobs would give it versatility as well as the bottom for a tripod.

Reactions: Ratteler
So far the Katana had worked ok in locations you can't fly. But if you have other video equipment I would use them.
Don't get me wrong, the Katana is a great asset, but DJI makes it hard with the settings, per the reason for the original post and questions. I think the biggest issue is gimbal movement unfortunately you have to have two different settings - 1 fir flight and another for Katana usage.

So far the Katana had worked ok in locations you can't fly. But if you have other video equipment I would use them.
Don't get me wrong, the Katana is a great asset, but DJI makes it hard with the settings, per the reason for the original post and questions. I think the biggest issue is gimbal movement unfortunately you have to have two different settings - 1 fir flight and another for Katana usage.

Gotcha!

15083696815441003383495.jpg View attachment 23450
If I understand your question not having a carma or PP holder, the Katana has 2 bolts fir the Mavic clamp and one for the phone holder, actually 2 at the bottom for straight and angle,
My point is a couple of extended bolts on the clamp knobs would give it versatility as well as the bottom for a tripod.

I was just thinking the mounting a light, you could use the other two holes in the phone mount.

Last edited:
Reactions: SGM
Very cool, so that's the Polar Pro phone mount, I need to check that out. Should fit a contour as well I would think.
THANKS!

Very cool, so that's the Polar Pro phone mount, I need to check that out. Should fit a contour as well I would think.
THANKS!

It's an awesome piece! I also have one in my car as well. Go Pro mount with a 1/4-20 adapter.

Thought about getting the gopro for myself, the contour works well in good light but no way to tweak settings, and I like the car mount. Buying never ends.

Thought about getting the gopro for myself, the contour works well in good light but no way to tweak settings, and I like the car mount. Buying never ends.

Truer words were never spoken.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000