DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Keeping battery in drone while in case

Oakley75

Reactions
Even though I never have, is it safe enough to keep a battery loaded in the drone while on the case waiting till it's next use? I'm certain it's optimal to not, I'm in the position where I kinda need to keep one in the drone itself. Anyone have an experiences, thoughts?

Even though I never have, is it safe enough to keep a battery loaded in the drone while on the case waiting till it's next use? I'm certain it's optimal to not, I'm in the position where I kinda need to keep one in the drone itself. Anyone have an experiences, thoughts?
Yes. I have done so with my M2P for almost 2 years. Due to case size. I do let things cool with the battery out after day’s flying

Yes. I have done so with my M2P for almost 2 years. Due to case size. I do let things cool with the battery out after day’s flying
Very cool to know. Guess I'm afraid of potential parasitic draw on the battery, but probably too paranoid ha

I always have a battery in and if when done flying if I have a fresh one
thats what I have in . If I have used them all then I just leave the used one in and head home.
Even when not flying for a few days there is one in. Have done this since the Mavics came out and the Phantoms before that.

With the battery turned OFF, there isn't any parasitic draw, though, if the battery is charged, after X number of days the it will start to self discharge down to a safe storage level. With the M2 (and no doubt most other DJI drones) if you leave the battery ON, and don't notice all the flashing lights to remind you, time to consider a more sedate hobby! :) Bottom line, no problem leaving battery in the drone.

Tell you what I have done several times over the years but caught it.
Think I have the controller shutdown and be in a hurry and slide it
in my case slot for it and zip it up. Liked to never figured out where
the beeping was coming from while driving. Live and learn ?

like Dc, i have also forgotten to turn off the RC ,put it in the car to move to another location ,and then wondered why my car was beeping at me as i drove along
the batteries in the MM dont actually self discharge like the other mavics ,but like all batteries they will drop some charge over a long period of time if not used

With the battery turned OFF, there isn't any parasitic draw, though, if the battery is charged, after X number of days the it will start to self discharge down to a safe storage level. With the M2 (and no doubt most other DJI drones) if you leave the battery ON, and don't notice all the flashing lights to remind you, time to consider a more sedate hobby! :) Bottom line, no problem leaving battery in the drone.
Magic mini batteries do not self discharge, and to my knowledge, do not have an on/off feature. They are not quite as intelligent as other DJI batteries.
That said, if there is no parasitic draw, should be safe.
Page 20 of the manual: The Mavic Mini Intelligent Flight Battery cannot discharge automatically. If the battery will not be used for more than 10 days, it is recommended to discharge the battery manually until the battery level is between 39% and 75%.

Reactions: DameB. and Pidgeon
Using a large (but drained) battery pack works great for discharging the mini batteries down to the storage voltage. No self discharging heat to worry about that's for sure.

Thanks for the parasitic draw comments, makes my ocd feel better lol. Kinda glad that aren't smart batteries. Just good quality reliable cells!

I have 4 batteries for my Mav Air 2 and keep 1 in the drone to help keep the props have something to rest on. I keep the batteries depleted and only charge them hours before flying

Reactions: pjdurham
I just swap the last used or hot one with one that is cooler or cold that way the battery has time to cool down. also I keep each battery in a separate case with the connectors covered just in case.

Reactions: Pidgeon
I've done it for 6 years with all of my DJI drones. Never and issue.

Reactions: pjdurham
I Never leave a battery in any equipment when not in use for long time.
It will always drain a bit, something can go wrong, etc, etc, I'll tell you this as an retired electronic engineer, but everybody make the decision for themselves.
But the equipment I got for repairing long time ago....how many with batterys inside, you do not want to know.

Reactions: Pidgeon
I leave my last flown battery in my zoom until I get home and then take it out and put it in a fire retardant case with the rest. When I charge I put one in the drone, the rest in my fly more case and head out.

WDK

Last edited:
Tell you what I have done several times over the years but caught it.
Think I have the controller shutdown and be in a hurry and slide it
in my case slot for it and zip it up. Liked to never figured out where
the beeping was coming from while driving. Live and learn ?
Yes i've done that but it was just in my car. It beeps after five minutes, and will shut down automatically after 10.

Reactions: dirkclod
Yes i've done that but it was just in my car. It beeps after five minutes, and will shut down automatically after 10.
Didn’t never let it go 10 minutes. Would hear it and get it out of case..
Phantoms will do it also.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo