DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Keeping it Fresh - What Now?

Syphon

Reactions
So I have had the Mavic since December. Every lake, river, lighthouse, ocean, etc in the area I have flown over and filmed. I have edited together fun videos of these, but, now that I have done so many, and so many other friends have purchased a Mavic, it all starts to look the same.

I am sure I am not the only one. What do you do to keep it fresh, new and interesting? I have picked up an Osmo Mobile and I have started doing more variations in my videos. For example, a video of something fun I have done may only have 20-30% drone shots in it and the rest be shots from the ground. What besides landscapes do you film with the Mavic? Just interested in what everyone else is doing :)

Reactions: Rgv_Mavic44
Trying to find anywhere legal to fly around Montreal that is also interesting.

Even the "most legal" areas I fly in do not comply 100% with the Canadian drone rules.

It's very frustrating. (ie: Where I takeoff/land may be too close to a public road. Where I takeoff/land is ambiguous wrt to property and permission to use; Where I takeoff/land there may be people or homes too close per the rules).

So have to drive far from home or work and then what there is to video is as dull as paint drying.

OTOH, this fall should be great once the colours begin turning. Will have to drive up into the Laurentians but I've scouted some good locations. Have to go see the ground truth.

Don’t your Drone laws allow take off and landing closer to people etc? Ours allow it. But not allowed to fly after take off within the guidelines.

Wow, those laws seem no fun. I will say, I live in Orlando, theme park capital of the world, but, per laws, I can't fly over them legally or even near them. Also, all the cool places in Orlando are within 5 miles of an airport or in Disney's restricted airspace. They city just passed an ordinance banning flight from anywhere in the City of Orlando so can't even get a cityscape.

I did fly down in the Keys on vacation and it really made my video turn out much nicer having the ability to mix in drone shots, but, yeah, I should have added that into my original post. Laws also make it hard to keep it fresh. Only so much trees you can film by drone lol.

Don’t your Drone laws allow take off and landing closer to people etc? Ours allow it. But not allowed to fly after take off within the guidelines.

The laws in Canada are unconditional.

So 75m from a building, person, vehicle, etc.

The drone is "flying" when it is no longer in contact with the ground.

So by that, strictly interpreted, it's very hard to fly anywhere. I found one nifty spot, only to discover a deep water filled ditch between the road and the field. So flew from the edge of the road and was 99% legal. But you can get a 100% fine for that 1% of the time that you are illegal.

It's a true sodding mess created by government with the aid and advice of a group^ who are at best, not drone friendly, because they don't understand drones (ca. 2017) at all. They've advised the government based on what is mainly fly-away fear, in turn based on "pilot-in-the-loop" RC systems that are the cornerstone of RC flying safety rules.

^MAAC: Model Aeronautics Association of Canada. (ie: RC modelers). I have nothing against MAAC and what rules they appropriately place on their community because of the way RC has evolved. Makes sense for them.

Imposing those rules on drones (of MP or P4P class) flown by people who are responsible and safe, is completely idiotic. So the Canadian rules apply to the least common denominator of drone technology and assumed to be completely off the rails unsafe operators.

As to getting an SFOC to do a simple commercial job, it is insane bureaucracy with straightjacket limitations to the point that anything worth a commercial job cannot meet the criteria. I've cancelled my commercial insurance until things straighten out and I'm considering selling the P4P.

Good topic! I have a motorcycle and often wonder where to go on it. Now I put my MP in my saddlebag and have lots of places to go. Combining the two has been great.
I really enjoy filming trains and trestles, along rivers and valleys. I asked a local crane company if I could film a set up, they were good with it. I know I may break the odd law but I never fly over houses, people or highways and not high. Ask friends who have jet skis, dirt bikes, mountain bikes or boats if you can film them. I am going to a private motocross track next week. It'll make for great shots.

Reactions: Rbruz and Bunny Too
Man, those laws stink. I'll put this on my pile of "Canada is much better!" rebuttals.

Ask friends who have jet skis, dirt bikes, mountain bikes or boats if you can film them. I am going to a private motocross track next week. It'll make for great shots.

If I had a friend with a Jet Ski or Dirt Bike, I think I would just be asking if I play with those rather than fly the drone LOL.

I do have a bicycle, I may start finding some cool trails to ride and then take the drone up from a location you can't drive to. The downside is most of the good trails are in State Parks or State Forests which in Florida you can't fly a drone in.

How many people have been fined for flying drones in Canada?
Are we into the double digits?

Now that the government has gone to a lot of effort to publicize the rules (media) and alert the police the chances of getting a fine have risen dramatically. During the recent floods around Montreal the media put up what appears to be amateur drone video causing the Minister of Transport to launch a very public warning.

A guy in Montreal got a $1000 fine for commercial work a few years ago before the rules were well known. He had 30 days to contest. The fine arrived in the mail AFTER the 30 day window ended ...

2016: TC launched 118 "illegal drone use" investigations (Vancouver Sun).

16 fines in 2016. Double the number of 2015.

Now that TC has a bee up its butt over this, and summer is here and MP's are here and Sparks are here ...

I don't intend to be on any such list.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair