DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

KlooGee saves me: by advising always saving a backup to the cache

daisy-girl

Reactions

Because I always shoot at 1080p/30@1/60, I'm able to simultaneously save a 1080p backup with audio (which adds a whole new dimension to the clip) to the cache on my iPad Mini 4 128GB device.

Today, it finally happened, just as KlooGee predicted it would: for the first time ever, the memory card that was in the aircraft failed to play.

But the video on my device does, and it's even better, because it captures all the ambient sounds.

Here's another advantage of the video on the device: one may choose to play it on the fly, to ascertain that the scene is in fact being captured.

Henceforth, because of those advantages, I may decide to skip removing the aircraft memory card and instead upload to my PC directly from my iPad. If I do so, then the memory card in the aircraft will be the backup until such time as I format it. :cool:

Thanks KlooGee! Thumbswayup

Last edited:
The video you have saved on your device is highly compressed, even if it does have 1920x1080 pixels, and is nowhere near the quality of what is on your SD card, even if you switch from 4k to 1080p.

The video you have saved on your device is highly compressed, even if it does have 1920x1080 pixels, and is nowhere near the quality of what is on your SD card, even if you switch from 4k to 1080p.

That's what I want to compare but I don't know how to upload the file from my iPad to my PC. I'm getting a message to connect the device but it's already connected via lightning cable.

That's what I want to compare but I don't know how to upload the file from my iPad to my PC. I'm getting a message to connect the device but it's already connected via lightning cable.
you should use itunes for that.

Reactions: Kilrah
you should use itunes for that.

iTunes does automatically open on my Win7 Premium Home desktop machine, but it gives me a message that it does not recognize my device.

The iPad does mount as an external HDD on my Win7 Pro laptop, but when I open the device's internal drive, I do not see the file. I can see and play the file with the DJI GO 4 Editor -- and it appears to be very high quality even on full screen -- but I haven't yet figured out how to move the file from the device to the laptop, as this is my first time to use the Editor.

I'm researching that now and will re-post once I've found the solution.

iTunes does automatically open on my Win7 Premium Home desktop machine, but it gives me a message that it does not recognize my device.

The iPad does mount as an external HDD on my Win7 Pro laptop, but when I open the device's internal drive, I do not see the file. I can see and play the file with the DJI GO 4 Editor -- and it appears to be very high quality even on full screen -- but I haven't yet figured out how to move the file from the device to the laptop, as this is my first time to use the Editor.

I'm researching that now and will re-post once I've found the solution.
Windows and IOS can be a pain to get working properly. However, if you use Google then you could just share it to your Google Drive from your iPad. Or download a filetransfer service app like Wetransfer and transfer it like that to yourself. That's the way I usually do it because I don't like iTunes (and all the helper stuff) on my studio workstation.

Or download a filetransfer service app like Wetransfer and transfer it like that to yourself.

My desire is to upload the file to my desktop and edit with Premiere Elements 2018. Is there a convenient way to do that? Is the file .MOV or .MP4?

My other interest is to synchronize the audio on the device with the video from the memory card on the AC.

UPDATE 2018 0421@1249:

HIGHnRICH
6 months ago
"When you're in the editor. Open a video and look for an icon with a downwards arrow. tap it and select "Save video to your device." It should save in your Gallery/Camera Roll."

Daisy Patritio
1 second ago
Result: "Failed to save file" -- same result with any of the files in the Editor -- I suspect I need to adjust a setting in the iPad Mini 4 but I'm clueless which one.

EDIT: 2018 0421@1618: hubby tried it with his iPad Mini 4. Result: DJI GO 4 crashes.

EDIT: 2018 0421@1633: Eureka! I found the setting -- I need to allow DJI GO 4 to both Read and Write to the iPad's Camera folder rather than Write Only.

I wonder why DJI wants not only to write but also to read what's in my Photos folder? Hmmm. o_O

Last edited:
I'm having trouble getting audio to record on my iPad 5. It is set to save to cache but doesn't record audio for some reason

I'm having trouble getting audio to record on my iPad 5. It is set to save to cache but doesn't record audio for some reason

I'm no expert, but I suspect you need to adjust a setting in the iPad 5. Hopefully, all those members who are currently out flying will help us out later.

On my Samsung Note 8 it saves video and audio to device, just can't seem to do it on my new ipad. I have even tried dropping video rate down to 1080p

2018 0421@1719: Nick, it appears to have the same quality as I get with the memory card in the AC, plus it has audio :cool:

On my Samsung Note 8 it saves video and audio to device, just can't seem to do it on my new ipad. I have even tried dropping video rate down to 1080p

In your settings, scroll down to the apps at the bottom and click on the DJI GO 4 app.

Then, in the upper right re access, be sure to check (if you are willing) that you will allow it to both Read and Write to the DCIM folder -- Write only is not adequate!

Also, be sure the Microphone is turned on.

In your settings, scroll down to the apps at the bottom and click on the DJI GO 4 app.

Then, in the upper right re access, be sure to check (if you are willing) that you will allow it to both Read and Write to the DCIM folder -- Write only is not adequate!

Also, be sure the Microphone is turned on.
Read and write was already on, microphone was off. But if read / write was on it should have saved to pictures app

OK, so videos aren't saved in pictures app but are saved in DJI app under Editor section

OK, so videos aren't saved in pictures app but are saved in DJI app under Editor section

Yes, so you need to select them in the app then click the upload icon to save them to your DJIM/Camera folder.

Provided you don't have iTunes installed on your computer, you can connect with a lightning cable and the open the DCIM folder to copy them to your computer.

If you have iTunes installed, then you must open the device with it, which is a real PITA.

Yes, so you need to select them in the app then click the upload icon to save them to your DJIM/Camera folder.

Provided you don't have iTunes installed on your computer, you can connect with a lightning cable and the open the DCIM folder to copy them to your computer.

If you have iTunes installed, then you must open the device with it, which is a real PITA.
Thanks for all your help Daisy-girl. But if saving to computer, wouldn't the video quality be better direct from SD card on Mavic?

if saving to computer, wouldn't the video quality be better direct from SD card on Mavic?

If you want the audio, it's with the video that the AC sends to your device. Recall that the audio is produced by the device, not the AC. In my experience, provided I fly at a height of at least 20m or more, the sound of the AC does not overwhelm the ambient sounds on the ground that my iPad's dual microphones pick up. IMO, being able to play the ambient sounds, in addition to whatever music I choose, adds a whole new dimension to the video. I reside in an urban area,so there are always lots of sounds: helicopters flying overhead, autos and other vehicles on the ground, etc. Earlier today, a group of three men decided to have a keg party not far from me in the vacant parking lot, so I got some unusual sounds. If ever it's important for me to hear my own voice clearly, I have a wired double-lavalier device that is designed for interviews. I pin one mic to my collar and allow the other to pick up the ambient sounds.

I always shoot at 1080p/30@1/60 (which another member describes as "the sweet spot" resolution; however, he also states the reason he does not use it). This allows me to select Full HD (1080p) on the HD tab.

In my experience, the video is the same quality as what I get from the memory card on the AC -- plus it has the audio. This may be because I'm careful to watch that the HD signal that I'm receiving is always 5 bars. This is easy for me to achieve because, although I often take my AC to the maximum allowed height (120m) and adjust my RC's antennas accordingly (horizontal to the ground which also results in 5 bars of RC signal), I rarely fly it at a radius that is far from my Home Point. The reason is that I reside in an urban area, and I'm careful never to violate FAA rules. I launch from near-empty parking lots and do not allow my AC to travel beyond the boundaries of the lots.

Apart from following the FAA rules re VLOS, I have an emotional attachment to my Alpine White Mavic Pro. It would be hard for me to forgive myself if ever it came down, and I could not find it. Provided I can find it, I can either repair or replace it with DJI Care/Refresh.

Here is one final reason to prefer the video that ends up on my iPad. When I first got the AC and I was attempting to remove the 16GB card that came with it, my AC ate the card -- instead of popping out after pressing it, the card went inside the AC. True, the $418 bill was covered by the warranty, and DJI even paid the shipping both ways, but I was unable to fly it for a few weeks :(

So, although KlooGee thinks of the video on his iPhone as his backup, I like to think of the one on my 128GB iPad as my primary. If ever it happens that the quality is for some reason poor, I can always use the one on the AC's removable memory card as my backup while pleading with my AC not to eat it again o_O

EDIT: I just thought of yet another reason to think of the video on my iPad as the preferred edition: although I haven't yet experimented with it, there are a number of videos on YouTube which suggest that one may have a lot of fun using DJI GO 4's Editor to quickly create a finished product that is ready for export to a variety of destinations. (However, some also complain that these creations have the DJI logo on them, which is the reason they don't often use it.)

EDIT: 2018 0422@0948: Re "In my experience, the video is the same quality as what I get from the memory card on the AC" should read "In my experience, the video is the same quality as what I get from the memory card on the AC when played on a 1080p HDTV."

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ