DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC approval (custom unlock)

wildwoodphoto

Reactions
I need to fly in a BLUE restricted zone, which has a max ceiling of 0 feet due to relative proximity to an airport. I understand I am required to perform 'custom unlock'.

However, using the Kittyhawk app to custom unlock, I set the maximum height to 50ft but get the message 'Pre-Check Failed' with the reason 'The approved flight plan exceeds the approved max ceiling'.

So how to I 'custom unlock' and get authorisation to fly at 50ft?

Last edited:
It appears that a recreational flyer cannot apply to unlock a maximum height ceiling at all. I don’t know yet if this also applies to commercial pilots.
you have to file paper work with the FAA, with specific reasons, why you are wanting to fly there. 90 days?

It appears that a recreational flyer cannot apply to unlock a maximum height ceiling at all. I don’t know yet if this also applies to commercial pilots.
Submit a request through DroneZone. You'll have to explain WHY you want to fly above LAANC height and HOW you can do it and still ensure Aviation Safety.

Correct a Recreational Operator can not currently request to fly higher than the LAANC Grids indicate.

Part 107 pilots can apply for heights above the maximum height in the facilities map boxes through LAANC, I do this all the time. In Kittyhawk and AirMap you just have to indicate that you are a part 107 pilot.

The process is the same but it is approved manually by someone at the tower rather than automatically. You must submit your requests at least 24 hours in advance for the system to even take your request but it’s better to do it at least 3 business days in advance. For a 0 ft square you’d need to be very aware of the runway path and I suggest requesting no more than 250 ft. The higher you request the less likely it is to be approved.

Reactions: wildwoodphoto
@BigAl07 I have a rhetorical question for you. Say he has a Part 107 pilot supervising (co-located of course), would he be able to request an approval under those circumstances or does the Part 107 holder have to be on the sticks in that situation?

@BigAl07 I have a rhetorical question for you. Say he has a Part 107 pilot supervising (co-located of course), would he be able to request an approval under those circumstances or does the Part 107 holder have to be on the sticks in that situation?
The "Responsible Party" (in this case the Part 17 operator supervising) would be the actual Requester. That's how I would see it.

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
Part 107 pilots can apply for heights above the maximum height in the facilities map boxes through LAANC, I do this all the time. In Kittyhawk and AirMap you just have to indicate that you are a part 107 pilot.

The process is the same but it is approved manually by someone at the tower rather than automatically. You must submit your requests at least 24 hours in advance for the system to even take your request but it’s better to do it at least 3 business days in advance. For a 0 ft square you’d need to be very aware of the runway path and I suggest requesting no more than 250 ft. The higher you request the less likely it is to be approved.
Interesting, I though you had to go through the Drone Zone for those instead of LAANC.

Interesting, I though you had to go through the Drone Zone for those instead of LAANC.
Nope. In fact I think it will prompt you to use LAANC if you try to get authorization for an airport that is LAANC capable. DroneZone is really for airports that don’t have LAANC or for requests involving a waiver. I actually find it surprising they accept requests on DroneZone for operations that could have/should have been done through LAANC.

Nope. In fact I think it will prompt you to use LAANC if you try to get authorization for an airport that is LAANC capable. DroneZone is really for airports that don’t have LAANC or for requests involving a waiver. I actually find it surprising they accept requests on DroneZone for operations that could have/should have been done through LAANC.
Aahh I misread what it says on the Drone Zone website. Looks like you only need to request flights in zero grid areas above airport property. I missed that last part.
Good to know, thank you.

Reactions: brett8883
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000