DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC Approval vs. DJI FlySafe -- I'm confused

Bob Dempsey

Reactions
Hi - I'm about 6 months into my "drone life" -- taking my 107 test on Wednesday.

I Understand that KittyHawk and AirMap do not connect with DJI Fly app
So - what is a step-by-step to do this - Or - is there a conflict?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

We all appreciate help.

Hi - I'm about 6 months into my "drone life" -- taking my 107 test on Wednesday.

I Understand that KittyHawk and AirMap do not connect with DJI Fly app
So - what is a step-by-step to do this - Or - is there a conflict?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

We all appreciate help.
They are totally and completely different things.

AirMap and KittyHawk are for getting LAANC authorization from the FAA. You need this to fly legally.

DJI flysafe is basically a system implemented by DJI from China that acts like trainings wheels to prevent people from flying where DJI deems is “unsafe.” This has nothing to do with where you can fly legally or not. It’s idiotproofing but to prevent you from doing something dangerous not prevent you from doing something illegal.

Part 107 has nothing regarding DJI Flysafe.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Thanks so much - any solution?
Solution for what exactly? Depending on your location you may need both an airspace authorization from the government (AirMap/KittyHawk) and a flysafe unlock from DJI.

Note the flysafe unlock doesn’t have anything to do with your 107 test.

Please clarify if you are trying to get the information for the 107 test, if you are trying to unlock a DJI flysafe zone, or trying to get authorization from the government to fly in controlled airspace. If it’s one on the last three please specify the location you are trying to fly so we can tell you what you need to do for that specific airspace.

Reactions: dawgpilot
No not for 107 test in general - there are a few spots I want to shoot from that are near a small regional airport. That DJI is not allowing me to take off yet Kittyhawk says I can go to 100 feet?

No not for 107 test in general - there are a few spots I want to shoot from that are near a small regional airport. That DJI is not allowing me to take off yet Kittyhawk says I can go to 100 feet?
First of all Kittyhawk is saying you can APPLY FOR AUTHORIZATION up to 100 feet as a recreational pilot. You will still need to get authorization to fly up to that 100 ft. So first you’ll need to get LAANC authorization to make the flight legal.

First select your flying location on the map in KittyHawk and click “get authorization”
7C3CA0F1-02A1-42AC-B6F3-219F1611B1C3.jpeg
Next select that you are a recreational pilot because you do not have your 107 airman certificate
5C0A0B1E-66CA-48F3-96E3-C4E773BC3A52.jpegNext enter the maximum height of your mission. Recreational pilots cannot request authorization above the height on the facilities map so in your case you cannot choose a height above 100ft.
76CFE6A2-86D3-4FA6-93D6-0681FE2F5E52.jpeg
Next choose the day and time of your flight and the duration of the flight
9ADB9DEC-9B5A-4C9F-93BD-5CA00E6532C7.jpeg
You will then be told if you will be approved for the operation2F4A4E0C-07C4-4396-AFC0-848D803A318C.png
Read and agree to the conditions of your approval891EC504-B95E-4C7B-A873-54E14C2583D0.jpeg
You will then get a text message from the FAA with your airspace authorization. You cannot fly legally until you have this text message.
1C3CFCCD-D7B6-4869-B3C2-19DF56B9B4DF.jpeg

To unlock the DJI flysafe zone will depend on the location you are flying which is why I asked for the location of the flight so I could help you. Most of the time it is as easy as clicking a check box in the app though it is hard to see. Sometimes you may need to go to DJI’s flysafe website to self-unlock the zone from a desktop computer

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu