DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC Approval warning

Schnauzergeek

Reactions
I’ve been flying my MM on vacation in Maui with relatively no issues except the LAANC approval giving me a warning about not having FAA registration. Shouldn’t that be sidestepped if I have already input that my aircraft is under weight?

I’ve been flying my MM on vacation in Maui with relatively no issues except the LAANC approval giving me a warning about not having FAA registration. Shouldn’t that be sidestepped if I have already input that my aircraft is under weight?

Sounds like a bug in the system. Oh well, registration only takes a few minutes online and is given instantly. Aloha!

I think you would be fine just saying that it is registered. I’ve never been asked for my registration # and you have fulfilled the registration requirement by being exempt if you are flying for recreation with the MM

I guess I'm just not sure what the big deal is about not wanting to register these drones. DJI was advertising the mini as under the weight that required registration and everyone seemed to think this was a huge selling point. I don't get it. $5 for 3 years. What am I missing?

I thought you had to put in your hobbyist registration # to submit authorization requests through LAANC. If not directly in the request, then in your LAANC provider (Airmap/Kittyhawk) profile.

Indeed one is exempt from registration if one's UAS is under 250g, but no mention was made if that allowed flying in controlled airspace, or if so, one was exempt from getting approved, assuming a registration # was needed for LAANC.
Sounds like a similar problem like we had in May: had to use LAANC to fly in controlled airspace, but hobbyists couldn't use LAANC yet.

I guess I'm just not sure what the big deal is about not wanting to register these drones. DJI was advertising the mini as under the weight that required registration and everyone seemed to think this was a huge selling point. I don't get it. $5 for 3 years. What am I missing?

It's a bigger deal in some other countries outside the USA, where drones <250 grams are exempt from far more onerous regulations.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest