DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC for U.K. visitor to US.

twickers14

Reactions
Hi all. Imminent trip to Florida (April) and never used LAANC before. I am unlikely to want to fly in Controlled Airspace but just in case! I have AirMap. All looks straightforward but just a bit worried about what phone number to give them. I use my iPhone 11 to fly with but it has a U.K. number and SIM. And, when I fly, I have it set to Airplane Mode. I realise I can make the application before I want to fly. Am I good to give them my U.K. number or would I be better off buying a preloaded US SIM and use that whilst in the US? Hope this makes sense. PS all signed up and FAA Registered and have TRUST. Add to this the roaming costs in the US for a U.K. phone-could cost more than our hotel!!

Technically if you are flying under a LAANC clearance you must have your phone reachable, in case ATC wants to contact you after you receive the clearance. I have never had that happen, nor have I heard of anyone being called. But the clearance does specifically say "....<name> shall be continuously available for direct contact at <phone number> by Air Traffic..."

The question of whether or not to get a US SIM card is not really related to the drone question, I don't think. Perhaps someone else knows whether the LAANC providers will accept a non-US phone number.

Reactions: BigAl07
I'd get a Burner Phone. Probably way cheaper than Roaming charges.

I'd get a Burner Phone. Probably way cheaper than Roaming charges.
Thanks. Have read about burner phones in thrillers but never really sure what they are and what they cost over there. I have an old iPhone 6S which I could take and whap a SIM in. i could then continue to fly with my iPhone 11 (with U.K. SIM and number) but still have a contact number for LAANC people to contact me (see above)

Technically if you are flying under a LAANC clearance you must have your phone reachable, in case ATC wants to contact you after you receive the clearance. I have never had that happen, nor have I heard of anyone being called. But the clearance does specifically say "....<name> shall be continuously available for direct contact at <phone number> by Air Traffic..."

The question of whether or not to get a US SIM card is not really related to the drone question, I don't think. Perhaps someone else knows whether the LAANC providers will accept a non-US phone number.
Thanks for these thoughts. Good ideas and see suggestion below which is great too when teamed with your observations.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks. Have read about burner phones in thrillers but never really sure what they are and what they cost over there. I have an old iPhone 6S which I could take and whap a SIM in. i could then continue to fly with my iPhone 11 (with U.K. SIM and number) but still have a contact number for LAANC people to contact me (see above)
As a Canadian flying in FL, the local SIM card in an old phone is how I do it; easy, simple

Just get a US sim. No problems that way with out of the US numbers showing up. Plus, they are cheap. A lot cheaper than some burner phone which would probably not work with the DJI app anyway.

FYI you cant fly over 400 feet even if you are out in the middle of nowhere. Also, National parks, like Yosemite or the Redwoods, are all off limits. This includes wildlife sanctuaries and even some forests because of the chance of starting a fire. Some beaches are off limits and defiantly big monuments like the Golden Gate Bride, the White House, Las Vegas strip are off limits. Even in the desert, things on Native American land or reservations are off limit unless you talk to the tribe leaders, they have their own laws as a sovereign nation.

Rule of thumb, check federal restrictions first, then state, then local city. Think of it as layers of a cake. The FAA is the most important one of all to know about. They are in charge of all the airspace in the US.

Dont be discouraged with all that, the US is a huge country with a lot of open spaces once you get outside the cities.

Bri
Just get a US sim. No problems that way with out of the US numbers showing up. Plus, they are cheap. A lot cheaper than some burner phone which would probably not work with the DJI app anyway.

FYI you cant fly over 400 feet even if you are out in the middle of nowhere. Also, National parks, like Yosemite or the Redwoods, are all off limits. This includes wildlife sanctuaries and even some forests because of the chance of starting a fire. Some beaches are off limits and defiantly big monuments like the Golden Gate Bride, the White House, Las Vegas strip are off limits. Even in the desert, things on Native American land or reservations are off limit unless you talk to the tribe leaders, they have their own laws as a sovereign nation.

Rule of thumb, check federal restrictions first, then state, then local city. Think of it as layers of a cake. The FAA is the most important one of all to know about. They are in charge of all the airspace in the US.

Dont be discouraged with all that, the US is a huge country with a lot of open spaces once you get outside the cities.
Brilliant help thanks. I took my Spark to Naples FL in 2019 and got really well with it. Heads up very helpful-again thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60