DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

LAANC time limit

jeplane

Reactions
Once you have received a LAANC authorization, how long is it good for?
Thanks

When you submit the request, you include the date and time for the proposed flight. It's usually valid for as long as you requested it, which I believe you can request as much as 12 hours at a time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carb63
I do not remember a request for duration. Hence my question. But then, it was the first time I used LAANC this morning, so I may have missed it.

Where does the 12 hrs come from? I would rather see something official...:)

Once you have received a LAANC authorization, how long is it good for?
It's good for whatever you enter before submitting your authorization request. If you need to fly beyond that time fame, you'll need to submit another request.

Reactions: Thomas B
Sounds like I definitely missed where to input this then.
Thanks.

Which app did you use to submit your request?

Airmap

Yep, you definitely glossed over it. It's set here:

Interresting. Never understood that this was a duration of flight(s).
I thought this was to plan a flight in the future.
I am glad I asked!
Thanks again...

Reactions: russellg
Reactions: russellg
Never understood that this was a duration of flight(s).
Yep! The time of the flight defaults to "Now", but you can tap "Now" to set the start date and time if you're not going to fly right away.

Thank you both.

We can only assume that the 12 hrs for 107 pilots also apply to recreational flyers now...

Reactions: Filipok
If you want the authorization to be valid for 12 hours, then make sure you set it to 12 hours in Airmap (or whichever app you're using).

Anyone tried submitting for multiple days at 12 hours per day?

Anyone tried submitting for multiple days at 12 hours per day?
Like dawgpilot mentioned in another post. If you're going to do that, you might as well apply for Wide Area Airspace Authorization. I applied on a Friday and it came back approved the next Monday.

Attachments

• Airspace Authorization - copy.pdf
    153.2 KB · Views: 32
Interresting. Never understood that this was a duration of flight(s).
I thought this was to plan a flight in the future.
I am glad I asked!
Thanks again...
You aren’t the only one. “Date and time” to me means the specific time when you intend to fly, but the second line in AirMap is for duration, not flight start time. I figured it out after using AirMap a couple of times but it’s not a great example of user-friendly design.

If you want the authorization to be valid for 12 hours, then make sure you set it to 12 hours in Airmap (or whichever app you're using).
While I’m not saying it’s a bad idea (I typically say a few hours in case I decide to fly longer or if I get delayed for whatever reason), if the FAA says authorizations are good for 12 hours why does it matter? The FAA grants the authorization, not AirMap, etc.

if the FAA says authorizations are good for 12 hours why does it matter?
Can you cite your source stating that the time frames selected when submitting an authorization through LAANC aren't important?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird