DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MarshMadness

Reactions
So I’m new to flying altogether and am piloting a Mavic Mini in Greenville, SC. There are a few parks in Greenville that are larger and nicer (Conestee Park and Falls Park for the locals) that I was planning on flying in, but they’re covered by authorization zones due to nearby airports. Tried using Kittyhawk to get LAANC authorization but it’s not available for these airports.

After a little bit of research, I found that you should be able to get approval to fly in authorization zones through FAA’s DroneZone but all I see are the recreational and part 107 registration portals. Has anyone ever used DroneZone to unlock authorization zones? Do I need to register my drone even though it’s under the weight requirements for recreational registration?

So I’m new to flying altogether and am piloting a Mavic Mini in Greenville, SC. There are a few parks in Greenville that are larger and nicer (Conestee Park and Falls Park for the locals) that I was planning on flying in, but they’re covered by authorization zones due to nearby airports. Tried using Kittyhawk to get LAANC authorization but it’s not available for these airports.

After a little bit of research, I found that you should be able to get approval to fly in authorization zones through FAA’s DroneZone but all I see are the recreational and part 107 registration portals. Has anyone ever used DroneZone to unlock authorization zones? Do I need to register my drone even though it’s under the weight requirements for recreational registration?
You don’t need to register your mini if you don’t add on thing weighing 1 gram or more.
I have my practice area, about 4 square miles, unlocked via DronZone. FAA gave 2 years clearance. My TO area for this is covered by 2 NFZs, one from a regional port with LAANC and one from a local airport which is still not on LAANC.

So I figured out what I was doing wrong with DroneZone but apparently the area I want to fly in is Class D airspace with a max altitude of 0ft. So I’m assuming as a recreational flyer I can’t apply for authorization in that area or if I do it will automatically be denied.

So I figured out what I was doing wrong with DroneZone but apparently the area I want to fly in is Class D airspace with a max altitude of 0ft. So I’m assuming as a recreational flyer I can’t apply for authorization in that area or if I do it will automatically be denied.
I believe you are correct.

Only Part 107 applications are accepted for flights higher than the LAANC altitude ceiling.

1582394795479.jpeg

Reactions: Gindra and Thomas B
First off WELCOME to the forum. I'm just "up the road" from you in Western NC but I do aerial work in your area often.

Being familiar with that area I gotta say.... are you sure it's a good idea to be flying in those areas? Lot's of people and you do have a good bit of air traffic coming at you from several different approaches. Just make sure you're following all of the FAA's Regulations for Recreational Pilots and be aware of your surroundings.

Reactions: Thomas B
I’m not understanding this discussion. Aren’t authorization zones unlocked in the Mini using the DJI fly app? Is the FAA DroneZone an alternative to the DJI fly app, and if so, how does it talk to the Mini to unlock it for takeoff?
I just went there to try it out, but found that I’m attempting to unlock a LAANC enabled area and I should use a different method.
Unlocking via DJI fly has been ‘fussy’ lately. If there’s a better way, I’m all ears.

I’m not understanding this discussion. Aren’t authorization zones unlocked in the Mini using the DJI fly app? Is the FAA DroneZone an alternative to the DJI fly app, and if so, how does it talk to the Mini to unlock it for takeoff?
I just went there to try it out, but found that I’m attempting to unlock a LAANC enabled area and I should use a different method.
Unlocking via DJI fly has been ‘fussy’ lately. If there’s a better way, I’m all ears.

There are TWO topics here.

1) DJI GeoZones (DJI's way of trying to keep you from out dumbing yourself and flying in areas you shouldn't...) nothing LEGAL about DJI GeoZones.

2) FAA Rules & Regulations regarding Controlled Airspace.

One does not affect the other. In order to fly in any CONTROLLED airspace you must have an FAA Approval to fly in that airspace... LAANC if available or DroneZone if it's not.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair